New member with a question

This is a discussion on New member with a question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everybody. I'm a 5 year CCW holder in Central Florida area and own 15 handguns, and had a question about a handgun being visible ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member with a question

New member with a question

Hello everybody. I'm a 5 year CCW holder in Central Florida area and own 15 handguns, and had a question about a handgun being visible to a LEO when he is at the door of your vehicle. I keep my gun in a holster between my seat & console and though I have been pulled over at least 4 other times, this is the first time the officer raised Cain about my concealed permit gun being visible to him. I am very visible and careful when pulled over and always keep my hands visible and inform that I have a permit and have a gun in the car.Any help on this as we were taught in class that this is acceptable.

2. Remove Ads

I am unsure of fla law, but in michigan it is also ok to have a weapon in open view while in a vehicle if you have a permit. being that it is in a vehicle it is considered concealed. I have been pulled over in this situation with no issues, as I made it clear that I had a ccw and there was a weapon in the car. hope that helps.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    As long as you're following the law don't worry about it. As a former cop however, I wouldn't bring it up unless you're required to by law or the cop asks about it. Any street wise cop should automatically assume every car he pulls over has a gun in it. He might have been anti-gun or just having a bad day.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Next time lay somthing over it, Better yet don't do anything that will cause the LE to pull you over.

i believe it needs to be concealed on or about your person
    get john gutmacher's book
    no such thing as "knock down power"......
    only "knock down accuracy"!!
    lawyers are the only ones counting the misses ACCURACY FIRST!!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    If the holster has a snap or other retention device, you are technically Ok. If it is just an open type of holster with no retention device, you are in the wrong. Nevertheless, I don't think that many LEO's would like doing a traffic stop and seeing a gun right there.

If you have a license, you can conceal it, anywhere. Some people even set it on the seat with a shirt over it (not recommended). But you can have it visible in a retention holster even without a license. Usually, it's just not the best policy. However, having the gun in a more accessible place than say, IWB, is a good idea.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

In AZ if the weapon is readily accessible to a non-permitted adult or a minor then you are in trouble.

from what my CCW teacher told us, i was under the impression in florida that we are required to carry in a closed container (zipper bag, console copartment) while in the car. Is this true?

I was wondering about carrying in the car in VA. I don't have my concealed carry permit yet and I wouldn't carry openly. I just know that we are allowed to but wondered what's supposed to be done with the handgun in the car in a situation like this.

With a FL CW permit you are fine. You can have it anywhere in the car as long as it can't be seen from another driver. You can have it in your lap!! That cop was ill informed or a anti
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

i didnt get my lisc yet, but in florida im pretty sure its legal to keep in your car. I dont carry in the car now but was thinking about starting soon, before i got my lisc. My understanding is the car is consider an extention of ones dwelling or something.

Flordia's Castle Doctrine covers that as well. Your sidearm should be holstered, weather on you or not.

Best bet is to not do something to get pulled over.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

IF you are pulled over, and IF you are licensed, one of the things I've found is that there's a lot more common sense in the Law Enforcement Community than there is in the law making community. In Ohio, if you are armed, you must have the gun in a holster on your person or locked in a glove box or center console. Or in a fastenable container - bag with zipper, case with snaps, etc. If you have a weapon in the car, you are required to tell the LEO that you have a weapon and that you are a legal CCL holder. You then should ask for further instructions. Normally, when they run a LEADS, MARKS, SmartCop, NCIC or other data base type check, the fact that you have a CCL will flag. In many cases, the LEO will have a computer or some sort of data terminal in his squad. The fact you are a CCL holder will be announced on the CRT. In the case of no data terminal, normally, the dispatcher will let the LEO know.

Now, the common sense on your part. If you are carrying, announce it. If you are not, let the LEO ask you if you are. He will already know that you have a CCL. During a stop, the best thing to do is to roll your window down, put your hands on the steering wheel or window ledge of the door and wait until the LEO greets you. Then if you are carrying, let him know. If you are not, follow instructions. I think that most LEO's realize that if you have a CCL, you are not a felon, a junkie or nutcase in most cases, and that a BI has been performed. The odds are that you are a responsible citizen who might have been going to fast.

Just my 2 centavos.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

My weapon (or second weapon) is between the seats where it 'could' be seen many times while driving here in FL, but I do keep a ball cap over it...problem solved.
    Why cause unnecessary problems?

Stay armed...keep it covered...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i got a good question: im about to go to orlando from tampa to visit some friends. I know i can carry in my tankbag because its considered part of the vehcile. But lets say i get off my bike to go into the store when i get gas, im going to take my tankbag, which is also a backpack with me. So my weapon would then be loaded in the backpack, which i would be wearing and not on the bike...would i be breaking the law?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links