Vision test for CHL (Texas)?

Vision Test for CHL (Texas)?

This is a discussion on Vision Test for CHL (Texas)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter has become interested in guns and through that, I am too. The more I read around the subject, the more I think a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vision test for CHL (Texas)?

My daughter has become interested in guns and through that, I am too. The more I read around the subject, the more I think a CHL would be a Good Thing, especially for a a young woman. We live in Texas.

However, in my case, I wear glasses. I'm not sure what my corrected vision is (I think it's 20/20 left, but only 20/40 right), but it's certainly enough to get a drivers license.

Is that a problem if I wanted to get a CHL myself? Is there even a vision test for a CHL?

thanks.

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.
    -Sir Winston Churchill

There is a vision test, sort of. You have to be able to see the center of the target and hit it

I saw one dude in my CHL class has some serious Coke bottles on, kinda like Eddie Murphy in Bowfinger. Point is when it came down to it he passed, I'm just not sure how.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Don't worry about it. The only way you can fail the test is...well..... you can't really. I mean you gotta be a worthless human being to not be able to pass the shot test. I do mean worthless, so worthless that you couldn't hit the ocean with a handful of mud standing in the ocean.

There was a 90 year old man in my class, firing with one hand, holding a cane with the other... Yeah it was entertaining. He passed.

The written test is about as easy, I finished it in under 3 minutes.

One guy in my class had never fired a handgun before and I had to basically introduce him to the gun--how not to point it at people, how to load a mag, safety basics, how to shoot/aim, etc etc--and he passed. I asked him why he was there and he said it was just something else to do. Pretty sure he missed the paper a few times but it didn't show up for scoring...

I don't know about "worthless human being" if you fail, but I'm saying the odds are stacked in your favor. And shop around for a place to take the class that will also help you fill out all the paperwork, get your passport photos, and fingerprints (because it must be a bi*** to do that crap on your own). I paid $70 at a place here in San Antonio (plus equipment if you need it) I could recommend but imagine Austin has a decent amount to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by glockstock View Post
    One guy in my class had never fired a handgun before ...
    Well I'm pretty much in the same situation. I'm originally from the UK, where handguns are absolutely forbidden, and I've never actually touched one.

To be honest, guns make most Brits *very* uncomfortable, so my plan is first just to find and instructor, or join a club (do such things exist?) and generally just get de-uncomfortable-ised first, before I look at CHLs.

I guess that's the problem with being from a country where the government blocks one of the best ways of achieving self defence. You get lulled into a sleepy sense of "It's OK. 'They' will take care of me." It's maybe not too strong to say that such a government is effectively emasculating its citizens (and often with the citizens' approval).

That said, I've been the victim of six different criminal acts, including one attempted beating in the street, and one burglary at night while my family and I were asleep upstairs, so in my case I can certainly claim that 'They' haven't lived up to their promise.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by cranreuch View Post
    To be honest, guns make most Brits *very* uncomfortable, so my plan is first just to find and instructor, or join a club (do such things exist?) and generally just get de-uncomfortable-ised first, before I look at CHLs.

--
    Eaglepeak shooting range is a decent place to learn about a half hour from Austin. Eagle Peak Shooting Range - "+nowtitle+"
    You pay $10 for a one time safety brief , after that you get a range card and its $10 per visit no time limit and no gun limit.
    They rent guns for $12 but you have to buy ammo from them , although that is pretty much standard when renting guns. If you explain you are new shooter if its not busy a range safety will take some time and go over the basics with you. Red's is ok , but its indoors (poor air quality) , LOUD ,the lanes are narrow and will lead to you getting hit with your own brass as well as others. And there seems to be bullet holes in everything (scary) And $14 an hour per lane on top of other costs.

Cros-dominance and getting hit by brass

Quote Originally Posted by FISTER View Post
    ...Red's is ok , but its indoors (poor air quality) , LOUD ,the lanes are narrow and will lead to you getting hit with your own brass as well as others.
    Yeah, my one trip to a range was to there. A friend let me try a few shots from some kinda AR rifle thing.

One problem I found I have was that while I'm right-handed, I'm left-eyed. I think it's called cross dominance. The guy in the store said that the proper way to manage that was simply to become left handed for shooting. (He said it would be easier for a beginner like me because I've never learned to shoot right handed either).

Trouble is, the AR is effectively designed for right handers, since it ejects the spent cartridge out the right side of the weapon. Shooting left handed then meant my head was also on the right side of the weapon, and so bits of metal kept flashing past my eyes every time I pulled the trigger. I hate to think what would happen if I was firing a fully automatic weapon.

But I guess that's not an issue with a handgun, is it?

Vision Isn't an issue providing you can qualify with the weapon..

My daughter has become interested in guns and through that, I am too. The more I read around the subject, the more I think a CHL would be a Good Thing, especially for a a young woman. We live in Texas.

However, in my case, I wear glasses. I'm not sure what my corrected vision is (I think it's 20/20 left, but only 20/40 right), but it's certainly enough to get a drivers license.

Is that a problem if I wanted to get a CHL myself? Is there even a vision test for a CHL?

thanks.
    As long as you can qualify with the weapon given or your own during the CHL Course you will be ok...Safety is the other reason for failing the course...Safety...Be safe Good Luck!!!

One problem I found I have was that while I'm right-handed, I'm left-eyed. I think it's called cross dominance. The guy in the store said that the proper way to manage that was simply to become left handed for shooting. (He said it would be easier for a beginner like me because I've never learned to shoot right handed either).
    While that's one way to do it, it's certainly not the only or even "proper" way IMO. I'm surprised he suggested that first.

I would first suggest you practice training your right eye to become dominant, or at least capable enough to use effectively. It is possible, but some people find it easier than others. Another common technique is to simply tilt your head farther to the right and sight with your left eye.

Unless you're already close to being ambidextrous, shooting primarily from the weak hand will be a lot harder and more frustrating than shooting from the strong hand, especially to someone trying to learn the fundamentals of shooting for the first time -- it will be one more awkwardness to work through. It will get easier with practice, and everyone *should* practice weak-hand shooting as insurance against a disabled strong-hand in an emergency situation, but I would not advise learning to shoot weak-handed from the get-go simply to compensate for a cross dominate eye.

Just my $0.02...
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Well I'm pretty much in the same situation. I'm originally from the UK, where handguns are absolutely forbidden, and I've never actually touched one.

. . . . so my plan is first just to find and instructor, or join a club (do such things exist?) and generally just get de-uncomfortable-ised first, before I look at CHLs.
    My wife had never fired a handgun before she took the CHL course and got her permit. Perhaps you may have your thinking backwards. If it is like most courses, it will cover basic safety and the applicable laws. The way I see it is you feel uncomfortable in confessing to the instructor that you have never fired a handgun. If you are up front about it, it will work to your advantage. The fact that you have posted to this site indicates that you are interested.

From what I have seen when looking for where to take my CHL, at least in the Dallas area, is the ranges use G17 for their qualifications. From what I understand, since I used my own Sigma .40, is that this is a very forgiving pistol and caliber combination.

As many have stated, there have been many first timers pass with no problem. I had 3 or 4 in my class, not to mention Mr. Cokebottle glasses.

The distances you have to hit the target at are so close and silly that you can almost do it wrong and still hit it.

Good luck and report back to give us an update.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    I would first suggest you practice training your right eye to become dominant, or at least capable enough to use effectively. It is possible, but some people find it easier than others. Another common technique is to simply tilt your head farther to the right and sight with your left eye.

Just my $0.02...
    Thanks for the input.

Training my right eye is not possible. It's a "lazy" eye, and at optimal correction is still 20/40.

The idea of tilting farther may be worth a try. Also, I knew a competitive shooter in the UK (when competitive shooting was still feasible, pre-Dunblane massacre) who told me it was possible to buy a small "periscope" that attached to the weapon, allowing a left-eyed shooter to hold it right-handed.

Thanks for the input.

Training my right eye is not possible. It's a "lazy" eye, and at optimal correction is still 20/40.

The idea of tilting farther may be worth a try. Also, I knew a competitive shooter in the UK (when competitive shooting was still feasible, pre-Dunblane massacre) who told me it was possible to buy a small "periscope" that attached to the weapon, allowing a left-eyed shooter to hold it right-handed.
    I'm right handed right eye dominant,I had a spinal cord injury and had to learn to shoot left handed.I use my right eye for handguns and either with pistols or rifles the brass deflects away so it's not an issue,as far as AR15's there uis a builtin brass deflector behind the ejection port that kicks brass away from the shooter.Start shooting with a .22 pistol very light recoil and cheap ammo after you get the basics down then try a 9mm
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    ... The way I see it is you feel uncomfortable in confessing to the instructor that you have never fired a handgun.
    No, it's much more than that. In fact I'm not remotely uncomfortable about that aspect. But guns to someone from an old and gun-shy place like the UK, are like votes for women pre-suffrage. Everyone just sees it as being wrong. I'm not sure a person who has been brought up around guns can ever fully understand the feeling.

I blame the government (although they're largely a product of my scaredy-cat fellow UK citizens, and, to the extent I was a scaredy-cat, myself). If you disarm people, and keep them disarmed, it's very likely they'll acquiesce and see being disarmed as normal.

What I think I'm looking for is to *return* to normality - i.e. to take responsibility for my and my family's safety - by becoming armed. Every morning, I attach my cellphone to my belt. Normality could be to view a gun in the same way.

But I'd be lying if I ignored (and, as a result, less able to overcome) my cultural history and upbringing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links