Well, I messed up.

This is a discussion on Well, I messed up. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last October 2007, I also GOOFED! I had my backpack as carry on and had used it the day before for a field trip. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, I messed up.

wj
    Last October 2007, I also GOOFED! I had my backpack as carry on and had used it the day before for a field trip. I always carry a small folding knife i.e. Swiss Army style. Well.............security found it, after much re Xray exams. I also was shocked. How I forgot that knife was due to stress of getting 2 small grandkids and my wife on the plane all together. One kid has an insulin pump etc.

Indianapolis International security was not only professional but also understood people do GOOF. They took the knife, and offered to send it back to me for $10.00. I was traveling with a CCW in my CHECKED BAGGAGE and did not want problems with that. The people running security were first rate. I plan to bring cookies when we go back to the airport again.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

Luck

Look at it this way, there could have been a pistol in there with the mag. Imagine your surprise then.

Glad it worked out.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    WOW! That would have had my gut in knots!

It's nice to hear that they didn't over-react and were courteous.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    I did also hear it from my GF, when I told her about the indecent, all she said was "you goof", because she knows that I try to always follow the law to the letter.
    Whew, you are lucky--usually when you tell a GF that you did something "indecent" you're busted....

Seriously, it's good to see that security folks can use their heads rather than clinging to some stringent policy; you obviously were no threat and they handled you with not only respect, but with compassion by returning your property.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

It can happen to anybody. On a recent flight from Atlanta to NYC on business, a co-worker and I realized at virtually the same moment -- thankfully, just before getting in line at security -- that we both forgot to leave our knives in the car. We were parked way beyond the parking garage in the back lot, and our plane was leaving soon, so we hopped over to the in-airport post office and mailed them back to the office. They were waiting for us when we got back.

Many airports have PO's I think, so if you do catch yourself with something like a mag or knife that you shouldn't have, that tip can save you from throwing it away.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Wow thanks for sharing that with us. I think if that happened to me I would have gotten the name of the LEO and wrote a letter and sent him a gift card to thank him again for being understanding and professional.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Take them a plate of cookies, a BIG plate of cookies. Easy to grab finger food that they can munch on when they get a few seconds here and there. You don't have to mention specifics, just that you goofed, and you appreciate the professionalism they showed to you and the understanding that people make mistakes.

Just a thought.
    Nice thought but i'm sure the food would get trashed due to the fact it could be laced with some kind of drugs or poison
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

At Miami International and Ft Lauderdale they have little contraband mailboxes near the gates. My boss and I went on a flight to Maryland and I had my tools with me in a locked case as checked baggage. In my carry on I had the airplane parts and spark plugs ($25 per plug)
    My boss put about 10 straight razor blades in the box of plugs when we packed and I didn't know about it. So we went thru TSA security and he got through nice and easy, I got stopped. Supervisors and 3 Broward Sheriffs Officers came up and pulled me aside. I was trying to explain what the box of spark plugs was for when one of the officers opened it and pulled out the straight razors. I was totally dumbfounded. He asked why I had them, and the only thing I could figure out was we originally decided to put the spark plugs in checked bags, but didn't want them to get busted so we carried them on. I asked if they can throw them away and the sheriff did and let me go on my way.
    By the time I got out of the little back room, I thought I missed my flight. But luckily it was delayed.
    The next time I went to the Airport, I saw the BSO that I talked to and thanked him for keeping a level head. He explained that that is what he is there for...its usually TSA that blows things out of proportion.

Now for a funny.... about 2 years ago, I flew to NC from Miami. While in line, a gentleman in front of me got a pair of nail clippers (w the little blade inside) confiscated from him. We got thru security and I stopped at a kiosk to get a drink. You know what they were selling at the kiosk? Nail clippers with the little blade inside...

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Glad things turned out alright for you. If any way possible, send a note to their supervisor praising thier curtious and professional actions. Normally the only time the supervisor hears anything from the public, it is a complaint!
    I agree 100%. Usually there is a liberal around that freaks out over something like that.

Great to hear that they didn't make a HUGE deal over a mistake.

Great story and a great ending.

Biker

i took a trip to the east coast and back, i did not know there was a 4" folding knife under the "floor" of my carry on bag, it must have slipped under without my knowing, TSA never found it, i did when i was unpacking at home...

I'm glad you didn't have to deal with an overzealous TSA agent who wanted to make an example out of you. NRA Conventioneers had their commemorative silver bullet necklace charms confiscated a couple of years ago, and likewise the tiny plastic rifles on some childrens' action figure toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    . . . she reaches in and pulls out my spare mag w/10 rds. in it still in the carrier. . . . he told me and the IPD officer that there would not be any paper work done on me. But I could not take the mag (without the rds.) on board in my carry-on luggage . . .
    While boarding in Houston I was stopped for having an empty magazine in my briefcase. After some discussion about whether it was an accessory or a gun part, I lost the argument and TSA said that it was a gun part. Therefore, I was given the choice of throwing it in the trash can or mailing it back to myself. Of course I mailed it back to myself at a cost of $10.00. Later I got a "do not do that anymore" letter from TSA.

In conclusion: Because I had an empty magazine I had to fill out all of the incident paperwork -- while you had a loaded magazine and did not have to fill out the incident paperwork. THAT IS NOT FAIR. I DEMAND THAT YOU FILL OUT THE PAPERWORK TOO! [But will excuse you from not having to pay a fine]

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    While boarding in Houston I was stopped for having an empty magazine in my briefcase. After some discussion about whether it was an accessory or a gun part, I lost the argument and TSA said that it was a gun part. Therefore, I was given the choice of throwing it in the trash can or mailing it back to myself. Of course I mailed it back to myself at a cost of $10.00. Later I got a "do not do that anymore" letter from TSA.

In conclusion: Because I had an empty magazine I had to fill out all of the incident paperwork -- while you had a loaded magazine and did not have to fill out the incident paperwork. THAT IS NOT FAIR. I DEMAND THAT YOU FILL OUT THE PAPERWORK TOO! [But will excuse you from not having to pay a fine]
    How long ago was this? Time might be a factor.
    Indiana is a very gun friendly state as all of us Hoosiers have been saying, remember this when there is another "most gun friendly state" poll pops up again.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Brad Jayakody banned from boarding Heathrow Airport plane for wearing Transformers t-shirt showing cartoon gun | The Sun |News
    By ANDY CRICK

Published: 02 Jun 2008

AIRPORT guards stopped a man boarding a plane — for wearing a Transformers T-shirt showing a cartoon gun.

Brad Jayakody, 30, was shocked when he was told to change his top if he wanted to catch his flight from Heathrow’s Terminal 5.

IT consultant Brad — on a British Airways trip with four colleagues to Dusseldorf, Germany — asked to see the security chief.

He thought the boss would "see sense" — but he backed up the decision and threatened him with ARREST. Aussie-born Brad said: "My mate set off the alarms and was searched.

"But then the guy told me to stop and said ‘you cannot get on the plane because there is a gun on your T-shirt’."

Gun scare ... T-shirt broke rules at Terminal 5

Gun scare ... T-shirt broke rules at Terminal 5

The top has the Transformers film character Optimus Prime on the front.

Brad, of Bayswater, West London, added: "It’s a cartoon robot with a gun as an arm. What was I going to do, use the shirt to pretend I have a gun?

"I was flabbergasted. I thought the supervisor would come over and see sense, but he didn’t. After I changed he said if I changed back I would be arrested."

A spokesman for Heathrow operator BAA said: "If a T-shirt had a rude word or a bomb on it for example, a passenger may be asked to remove it.

"We are investigating what happened to see if it came under this category."

Last year Gatwick guards made a woman hand over a beef sandwich before boarding and last week a PhD student was stopped for wearing a gun-shaped charm necklace at an airport in Canada.

Saw this in the news a couple months ago... talk about being ridiculous

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links