Well, I messed up.

This is a discussion on Well, I messed up. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gun Bunny I just got back from my trip to Poland, but before I left to go to the airport (Indianapolis International), ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well, I messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    I just got back from my trip to Poland, but before I left to go to the airport (Indianapolis International), I decided to use the bag that I use to take my over night stuff to my girlfriends, as my carry on luggage, it has a false bottom so it be folded up flat.

Everything when smoothly(my boss was late), as we check in, and we went through security to x-ray my bag, the lady came to my bag and stopped and studied my bag through the x-ray machine, then she said "I need a supervisor". He came over and also looked through the machine and told her to pull me aside.
    She asked if this was my bag and of course I said "yes", she opened the bag and asked if there was anything sharp that might stick her, I replied "no". By that time a IPD (Indianapolis Police Dept.) officer came over to talk to me. That is when my heart dropped, she reaches in and pulls out my spare mag w/10 rds. in it still in the carrier. It had gotten underneath the false bottom. I didn't know what to say, except "Am I going to be arrested?" The IPD officer said "no" but airport security may have to fill out paper work and there may be a fine.

As it turns out I was at the limit of the number of rds. whether they need to do the paper work on me or not. He had called "his" supervisor and was asked how I was acting and I overheard him say that I was polite and surprised. With that he told me and the IPD officer that there would not be any paper work done on me. But I could not take the mag (without the rds.) on board in my carry-on luggage, I could either put it in my check-in luggage or run it out the the car. We where running late enough so I told them to depose of it because I was flying international and didn't want to go through this in Germany or Poland! Then the IPD officer said if I write down my address that he would mail it to me, and low and behold when I checked my mail yesterday there was my mag!!!

Everyone that I dealt with over this was quite polite and professional, and I got the impression that I was not the only dummy to do something like this. And I wish I could have thanked them all better than I was able to.
    The lesson that I learned as a firearm owner is to double check, no triple check my luggage and to triple check that everything is in the safe before I leave on a flight!

Poland was great and I was the brunt of many jokes the whole time, which as I look back now, it was kind of funny I guess if you where looking in from the outside, not for me as much though.
    We're all human, we all forget. Personally, I think you reacted and got treated awesomely! Nobody got excited, and some went above and beyond the call of duty to mail your magazine back to you. Magazines aint cheap. Good outcome!

2. Remove Ads

Thank you all for the kind words, yes I messed up and I feel that I should have been more careful packing my bags. Yes, I have learned my lesson and I hope my mistake will help someone else avoid making one, as others have helped me.
    Thank you,
    David
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Administrator
    Most folks who have been in Law Enforcement and Security for a while quickly learn to "read" people. Obviously they were able to read your genuine human reaction correctly.
    Glad that it all worked out OK...and great also that you even got your mag returned to you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Yep, you messed up, but I think anyone could have had that happen to them. Lesson learned, and next time I fly I will remember to triple check everything myself.

Oh, and do send letters of praise to those worker's supervisors. They saved your backside big time.
    + 1 on the letters
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Dude, you were lucky. I'm glad to hear that the authorities were cool about it.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I was flying home on leave a while ago. I was in the security line and my hand brushed up against my Benchmade auto folder. I pulled out of line with a quickness and found the amnesty mailing box. I was a little nervous trying to mail a $200 knife home this way, but it made it. Can't imagine how that would have gone if I hadn't realized I forgot to remove it by the time I hit the metal detector!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Nice thought but i'm sure the food would get trashed due to the fact it could be laced with some kind of drugs or poison
    My thoughts exactly. A few years ago my wife was going to bring xmas cookies to the gate guards coming on base, I told her to check first and they told her they would accept them with a smile and throw them away as soon as she drove off for that exact reason.

This post reminds me of when I was coming back from the desert last year. Long story short, we were right at 365 days and had to get out of there so they sent us through Kuwait International Airport. They took our weapons and crated them up to get them back to the states but wouldn't take our magazines. When we went through the metal detectors the Kuwaiti security guards almost lost their minds and we had to leave them there. There were about 50 of us all with 5-6 9mm mags and 6-7 5.56 mags a piece, you should have seen the pile sitting there when we all got through.
    Thanks,
    Rock

VIP Member
    I thought I had posted this before, but searched and can't find it. Anyway, here's one where my wife "messed up".

A while back she was flying out to visit her parents. She was bringing them a gift, had wrapped it and stowed it away in her carry-on. She went through security with her carry-on. A TSA guy got her bag out of the x-ray and told her he needed to check it further. She said, "no problem". He opened her bag, reached in and took the gift-wrapped package out and was looking at it. My wife, at that moment, said her stomach went down somewhere near her ankles. It suddenly dawned on her that the gift she was carrying contained a full set of kitchen knives !!!! "DUH" The TSA called their supervisor to come out and he looked at the knives then looked at her, back to the knives then at her. The whole time she claims she was babbling incoherently.

The TSA guy asks her would she like to put these knives back in her car? Absolutely yes, she complies and runs out of the airport at some olympic speed. Gets back in and makes her flight okay. A few days later I saw in our mail a letter to her from Homeland Security or something. Since her normal job involves hurricane shelters, I opened her mail for her to give her a head's-up on what's going on while she's away. I was surprised to find the letter to her from TSA, quoting regs. over some knife issue that was heretofore unknown to me. It was sort of a warning letter.

When I next talked to her on the phone I brought the letter up, and she admitted that she had intended to hide this event from me. Having a lot of remorse she kept saying, "I was so stupid, I'm so lucky, I was so stupid, I'm so lucky.................
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Wow...when I worked guard duty in Germany (98-01)...we gladly accepted food and cookies from anyone... times have changed I guess. We had a local German take out service that would pull up, hand us a pizza and speed thru the gate every night. If they stopped to sign in, they would be late for the delivery and lose the money. So we finally gave them the forms to fill out to get access...they still bribed us with pizza.

Pre-9/11, I flew from Arizona to Miami, and had my CRKT folder and my Leatherman and maglite on me. I was used to flying with them, and when I got to the Airport in Tucson, security told me I could only take one or the other on the flight. So I boxed my new CRKT up and shipped it out...they then walked me to my gate to make sure I didn't try to take anything apart with my leatherman on the way. I landed in Miami, and my CRKT was no where to be found. It had my initials engraved in the blade, and when they called the baggage tossers in to ask them about it, one had the thing clipped in his pocket. Can you say...fired?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Wow. I would have needed to take out a new pair of underwear from my luggage.

I am so glad to hear that part where they asked how you were acting. People who truly make an honest mistake should be given a pass. You did nothing wrong. I am glad everything worked out.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Sounds like a very good outcome for a little mess up.

Check those bags better next time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Sounds like a very good outcome for a little mess up.

Check those bags better next time.
    Don't worry, I will!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links