Well, I messed up.

This is a discussion on Well, I messed up. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from my trip to Poland, but before I left to go to the airport (Indianapolis International), I decided to use the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, I messed up.

Well, I messed up.

I just got back from my trip to Poland, but before I left to go to the airport (Indianapolis International), I decided to use the bag that I use to take my over night stuff to my girlfriends, as my carry on luggage, it has a false bottom so it be folded up flat.

Everything when smoothly(my boss was late), as we check in, and we went through security to x-ray my bag, the lady came to my bag and stopped and studied my bag through the x-ray machine, then she said "I need a supervisor". He came over and also looked through the machine and told her to pull me aside.
    She asked if this was my bag and of course I said "yes", she opened the bag and asked if there was anything sharp that might stick her, I replied "no". By that time a IPD (Indianapolis Police Dept.) officer came over to talk to me. That is when my heart dropped, she reaches in and pulls out my spare mag w/10 rds. in it still in the carrier. It had gotten underneath the false bottom. I didn't know what to say, except "Am I going to be arrested?" The IPD officer said "no" but airport security may have to fill out paper work and there may be a fine.

As it turns out I was at the limit of the number of rds. whether they need to do the paper work on me or not. He had called "his" supervisor and was asked how I was acting and I overheard him say that I was polite and surprised. With that he told me and the IPD officer that there would not be any paper work done on me. But I could not take the mag (without the rds.) on board in my carry-on luggage, I could either put it in my check-in luggage or run it out the the car. We where running late enough so I told them to depose of it because I was flying international and didn't want to go through this in Germany or Poland! Then the IPD officer said if I write down my address that he would mail it to me, and low and behold when I checked my mail yesterday there was my mag!!!

Everyone that I dealt with over this was quite polite and professional, and I got the impression that I was not the only dummy to do something like this. And I wish I could have thanked them all better than I was able to.
    The lesson that I learned as a firearm owner is to double check, no triple check my luggage and to triple check that everything is in the safe before I leave on a flight!

Poland was great and I was the brunt of many jokes the whole time, which as I look back now, it was kind of funny I guess if you where looking in from the outside, not for me as much though.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

2. Remove Ads

I somtimes carry my weapon in my briefcase when I cant conceal it at work. I worry that I might forget its in there when I fly on business but I always try to maintain the presence of mind to know where it is at all times.

VIP Member
    Glad things turned out alright for you. If any way possible, send a note to their supervisor praising thier curtious and professional actions. Normally the only time the supervisor hears anything from the public, it is a complaint!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

SSSHHHHEEEWW!!! I would not say you were lucky per se as I tend to look for common sense...which is what you seemd to recieve. All involved were very down-to-earth and understood accidents happen to the best of us.
    Glad it all worked out the best way possible...and you actually got yer mag back.!! I am sure you woulda gladly written off the mag to get outta there in the fashion you did but hey (!) your stars were aligned!! Good to hear that for a change!
    I bet your heart just DROPPED when they pulled that mag out!

+1 on the positive note mailed to the airport security office...may help the next guy that comes thru with an accident/oversight like that.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Welcome to the club! I had a military P38 can opener in the lining of a salesmans' style case... flying just after the 9/11 attacks when they had pairs of M16-toting soldiers nearby. We *completely* emptied my case, and tore out the bottom piece before we found it. I'm sure I caused some folks some irritation (the amount of time for a "weapon" which I'm sure most folks realize wasn't that big a deal). But while they were professional and perhaps a bit inflexible, they were kind to the poor guy who didn't clean out his bug-out-bag properly.

Wow, glad it worked out as well as it did. It's nice to know not everyone in "authority" will overreact or try to make an example of someone that honestly makes a mistake.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

I did also hear it from my GF, when I told her about the indecent, all she said was "you goof", because she knows that I try to always follow the law to the letter.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm

Very good story - thanks for sharing it and the reminder that things like that can happen to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Then the IPD officer said if I write down my address that he would mail it to me, and low and behold when I checked my mail yesterday there was my mag!!!
    I wonder if there's a way to send a note to the district where that officer is based, letting them know what an upstanding officer he was during this whole experience. It seems that most departments endure more complaints than praise and this one seems worth a positive note.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    I wonder if there's a way to send a note to the district where that officer is based, letting them know what an upstanding officer he was during this whole experience. It seems that most departments endure more complaints than praise and this one seems worth a positive note.
    I wonder if the IPD officer could get into trouble, I don't know the policy if they are allowed to do this or not?
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Take them a plate of cookies, a BIG plate of cookies. Easy to grab finger food that they can munch on when they get a few seconds here and there. You don't have to mention specifics, just that you goofed, and you appreciate the professionalism they showed to you and the understanding that people make mistakes.

Just a thought.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    I wonder if the IPD officer could get into trouble, I don't know the policy if they are allowed to do this or not?
    In most cases, I would guess no. I think that departments like to hear positive remarks. Seems to me that the officer used discretion, and he should be commended for that.

Glad things worked out.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Yep, you messed up, but I think anyone could have had that happen to them. Lesson learned, and next time I fly I will remember to triple check everything myself.

Oh, and do send letters of praise to those worker's supervisors. They saved your backside big time.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Happy it turned out well for you...Also the fact that the LEO kept his word... :-)...Hats off to the men in Blue...IPD (Indianapolis Police Dept.) officer

Now that is a puckering experience. Glad they were all cool about it and did the right thing.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Wow they acted professionally and realized you made a honest mistake. Good result and good lesson for us all.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links