Let me get a flavor. - Page 2

Let me get a flavor.

This is a discussion on Let me get a flavor. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We like our guns in Arizona. May that continue unfettered!!...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let me get a flavor.

Assistant Administrator
    We like our guns in Arizona.
    May that continue unfettered!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Here in F.L. its a mixed bag. I notice a wide variety of people in gun shops. Unlike where I lived in N.Y where their was mainly blue collar white males. The general attitude is also a wide. I think its mostly cause of "transplants" like myself. Some are 24/7 carriers like myself. Others think people who carry are looking for trouble. Most are in between. For example: My G.F. is a transplant from Wisconsin. Who is a very naive person, that lives in Jacksonville. I sometimes am tempted to remind her not to take candy from strangers when she goes out the door . Anyhow she isn't comfortable with me carrying, although she isn't offended by it ether.
    With people like this I keep it well concealed and quiet. I try to explain the real reasons why people carry, and also try to dispel the anti-firearm rhetoric fed to her though a lifetime of M.T.V.
    There are some people who I met that IMHO have no business with a steak knife in heir hand, much less a gun on there hip

Bruce,
    Well, so, so I guess. Most countys issue permits, but its realy just a permit to own a pistol cauce they are restricted to Hunting and target shooting and transporting a wepon
    Ya know, you can apply again for a CCW permit (kiss a lot of judge butt ). If your rejected you still have your transport permit. The worse thing someone from one of these counties can do is apply for a CCW right off. Cause if your rejected, ya cant reapply for a transport.

My experience is much the same as yours Chris. So far my interaction with true blissninnies (wonderful word BTW) has been minimal. I live in the NW corner of PA, so hunting season is practically a religious holiday, and CCW permits are obtained with minimal hassle. Of course, since I work in the gun department of our local sporting goods store, most of the customers I deal with already 'get it', which is nice. One woman I had to deal with a week or two ago really grated on my nerves though. She was in late middle age and there with her husband to find a Christmas present for their young grandson. The husband seemed like a very nice old man, while she played the classic shrewish wife to perfection. It seems their grandson wanted an airsoft pellet gun for Christmas, one of the one's that looks like a miniature machine gun, and she 'mentioned' several times that getting one for the boy would turn him into a violent killer. Oh, and she also uttered this little gem, "I'm glad I'll be dead by the time he's 16." Just your average everyday blissninny rational thought process. Her husband had apparently learned that the best way to deal with her was to ignore her ranting because he didn't try to argue with her, he just picked one out, paid for it and left with the shrew in tow. I was glad to see her go. Thankfully incidents such as those have been few and far between.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

NH is generally gun-friendly. CCW permits are easy to get (mine took a week) Unfortunately, in the southern part of the state, the fruities from MA are moving up by the score and they pretty much have a fit when they see a gun. There was an article in the Sunday local paper a few weeks ago about panicky busybodies calling police in citizens carrying (all legally) while they shopped, etc. It's the same people that made NH a red state. I'm embarassed...

VIP Member
    Colorado became a "shall issue" state a couple of years ago (even with the usual "blood-in-the-streets" media screeching ), but I don't think that the law enforcement folks in the county that I live in (Arapaho) like it at all. When I applied for my permit 1 year ago, they drug their feet every step of the way...one of the requirements for the permit is proof that you have attended an instruction course taught by a licensed instructor. I used a certificate of training from a 2-day course taught by Andy Stanford of Options For Personal Security, and the Sheriff's Office said that they had never heard of him and almost rejected my application. It took at least half-a-dozen phone calls (including a call to Andy in Florida) before they would recognize his credentials.

When my application was accepted and I went in for finger printing and photo, the officer and I chatted about the new CCW law in Colorado, and he was very much against it. Didn't like the idea of the common folk carrying guns and made no bones about it.

I'm not sure what other counties here in Colorado put you through to get licensed. Hopefully the more rural Sheriff's departments are a little more trusting of someone with a perfectly clean record and succesful pass of the FBI background check
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Rick - sad to hear of your hassles - as so many places things do seem very ''county driven'' as to easy or difficult. My county for instance is just a case of in and out - no waits - photo now done and in the office. But other PA counties for some reason are way slower and even have you waiting to get the thing mailed!!

I am most concerned that you have cops there so anti - I mean, is any cop when real honest with himself gonna be able to admit that he can be omnipresent - there to protect folks when **** happens? I rather doubt it.

I don't know also why that category of cop seems to imagine the armed (clean and legal) citizen is any threat or gunsliging idiot, when we know the implications of frivolous shooting. I guess there'll always be some but it saddens me.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I am most concerned that you have cops there so anti - I mean, is any cop when real honest with himself gonna be able to admit that he can be omnipresent - there to protect folks when **** happens? I rather doubt it.
    No, but their weapon is omnipresent to protect themselves. I'd guess those types aren't thinking about the citizenry's safety. Just thinking about their own safety. I have a weapon and I do not want anyone else (w/ the exception of other leo) to have a weapon.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Small town Colorado? I don't know what the CCW stats are, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that 90% of the households here have at least hunting arms. Since moving up here three weeks ago has been the first time in years I've actually seen rifles and shotguns in the window racks of pickup trucks.

I suspect that the "blissninnys" would be the ones to get the strange looks here.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    True enough sojourner - that is the attitude of some armed (or bodyguard protected) anti's - ''you (the peons) are not good enough to have guns. We are!''

Control - pure control.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I live in a heavily Mormon infested area. While I don't agree with their religious beliefs, they are generally good people and very strongly conservative. It's the California people that give us fits; we get them in droves. Their liberal leanings have worked their way into our local communities in Maricopa County and swung some of our politics left of center. Guns are everywhere, though. Ranges are often crowded, at this time of year the gunshops are almost as busy as WalMart, Gun Shows are packed and there are shot up cactus all over the desert. We like our guns in Arizona.
    next time, impale a liberal californian on the cactus first, THEN shoot it. And this is coming from a refugee of the PRK
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Colorado became a "shall issue" state a couple of years ago (even with the usual "blood-in-the-streets" media screeching ), but I don't think that the law enforcement folks in the county that I live in (Arapaho) like it at all. When I applied for my permit 1 year ago, they drug their feet every step of the way...one of the requirements for the permit is proof that you have attended an instruction course taught by a licensed instructor. I used a certificate of training from a 2-day course taught by Andy Stanford of Options For Personal Security, and the Sheriff's Office said that they had never heard of him and almost rejected my application. It took at least half-a-dozen phone calls (including a call to Andy in Florida) before they would recognize his credentials.

When my application was accepted and I went in for finger printing and photo, the officer and I chatted about the new CCW law in Colorado, and he was very much against it. Didn't like the idea of the common folk carrying guns and made no bones about it.

I'm not sure what other counties here in Colorado put you through to get licensed. Hopefully the more rural Sheriff's departments are a little more trusting of someone with a perfectly clean record and succesful pass of the FBI background check

All depends on the area. I got my ccw training from the chief of police of Frederick, and he's VERY pro ccw. I got my permit from Larimer County, and they were indifferent about the whole thing, almost like I was paying a ticket or something vanilla like that. Got pulled over a week ago by CSP, and when I informed the motorcycle cop i was carrying and had a permit, he very casually said to not touch the gun and that was it. Didn't even ask to see my permit.
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinInstructor
    Concerning PA, I attempted to get a CHL from Montgomery county, my former county where I live. They would not allow it
    I don't quite understand, I thought PA is shall-issue, i.e. they must issue if you qualify? Can they just do that?

I don't live in a shall-issue state, but I'll rant anyway, if you don't mind. If this is inappropriate, feel free to delete it. Or just tell me, and I'll do it myself.

Where I live, only nutjobs like me don't hate guns. Rifles for hunting are fine - if you are rich and/or an old man, otherwise no-one will really believe you are into hunting. Airsoft guns for target shooting are fine, too. Guess what the appropriate tool for self-defence is around here? If you did not guess "cell phones", you aren't cynical enough.

I talked to a LEO neighbor about it once. He didn't seem to have a problem with civilians owning guns. Didn't dare to ask him about carrying. He might have been fine with it, but usually people want to see you in a straightjacket if you want to carry a gun.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

VIP Member
    TN is good, even Nashville. All the cops I've come across are pro-carry. There will be cops at the gun show, and while I think some are there because they have to be, I've noted at least one peddling guns. I'll come across some people who crinkle their noses, but most non-gun people don't freak out or even care. I've turned a fencesitter or two around.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I live in Arapahoe County, same as TeamAmerica, and had no problems. The county website has all forms and clear instructions. I took my papers into the Sheriff's Office and found everyone to be quite friendly, respectful, and helpful. I did have a training cert from a local exFBI trainer who they probably knew quite well, and I didn't engage in any smalltalk. They suggested it could take up to 10 weeks, but the permit came in 7 weeks.

After having the 5-year permit for 1 year, I noticed last week that the printed information, like expiration date, was rubbing off. I did have to pay a $15 replace-lost-or-destroyed-permit fee, but picked up a new one only 2 days after I phoned in about my problem. The Deputy who returned my call is in charge of the county's CCW affairs, and was quite supportive and helpful. He even said that he had tried, unsuccessfully, to get the Sheriff to waive the fee since I did nothing to damage the permit. He recommended that I get it laminated, which I think is a good idea.

All in all, I think the Arapahoe County permit service is excellent.

I think CO in general is pro-firearms and pro-carry except for The People's Republiks of Denver and Boulder. CO became "shall-issue" by legisation, after all.

VIP Member
    Anubis, I'm glad to hear that your experience was easier than mine. Is Deputy Geary still running the County CCW program?
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links