Let me get a flavor.

This is a discussion on Let me get a flavor. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Team American Deputy Geary still running the County CCW program? Yes. I found him to be both courteous and professional. Our discussions ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let me get a flavor.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Deputy Geary still running the County CCW program?
    Yes. I found him to be both courteous and professional. Our discussions were focused strictly on the original application and the replacement of the fading permit.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    I found him to be both courteous and professional.
    I spoke with him on several occasions and also found him to be courteous and professional; I just had a devil of a time getting him to accept Andy Stanford's certification. It was another individual at the Dept. who didn't like the new CCW law.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I happen to live in the only left-leaning part of Idaho.
    I live in the other part of Idaho. When I applied for my CWL, I wasn't even asked as much as "Why do you want one?" He just printed me and sent in my paperwork. Didn't even have to take a class, because they exempt prior military with proof of weapons knowledge. All it took was a training report that mentioned that I had fired a pistol. Very EASY.

I heard one time that Boise has something like 30-40% CWL holders. That seems outrageous, but I don't recall the source, so I can't verify.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Assistant Administrator
    I heard one time that Boise has something like 30-40% CWL holders. That seems outrageous
    Jar - hope you mean ''outrageous'' in a good sense!! I have to admit I would personally like to see honest folks carrying to that density nation wide.

Heck - the BG's might just give up crime! (OK - optimist, but hey - ya know where I am goin ) That really would be an armed polite society.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This is a gun friendly state. My county is extremely cooperative in issuing permits.

I was at my favorite coffee shop a couple of months ago and the subject came up about carry. Turns out everyone in the shop was not only licensed but was carrying. When I confessed the lovely lady who owns the shop leaned across the counter and said, “You too Scott? Cool!”
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

Heck - the BG's might just give up crime! (OK - optimist, but hey - ya know where I am goin ) That really would be an armed polite society.
    Hey, numbers dont lie.
    Look at states, who became "shall issue states". There violent crime rate dropped, significantly. The states who make CCW permits hard, in not impossible to get. Have there violent crime rates rise.
    I don't see why the cant seem to understand that?

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Well, as you are all aware, Florida is very "gun friendly". I can't really say much about the locals in my area. I haven't had occasion to be in contact. I don't know of anything negative.

VIP Member
    Living in FL is nirvana compared to some places I lived in before: namely NYC, NJ, and Puerto Rico...all three being some of most hostile jurisdictions for us firearms folks. I was also stationed in DE and TX in the early 80's so "shall issue" didn't exist.

That said, my CCW permit experience was smooth and easy...got my prints done by a fellow FLEO and friend and I was exempt from the training requirement being a military vet....as soon as I got my permit, out with my issue SIGARMS P229 for off-duty carry and in with my personal Beretta 92FC and Star PD (now other guns).

God, I love FL!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well down here in the " sticks " ( the most southeast county in Colorado ) all i can say is the local Sheriff Strongly recommended i get a ccw ( after years of basicly not carrying since exiting law enforcement ) , Waived his departmental fees , then hand delivered a nicely laminated ccw permit to me and my wife ( we applied same day , took about 14 days for cbi to come back all clear and get administrative chit done ) when the daughter got hers ( i got it for her for her 21st birth day , kinda the guift that keeps on giving , he didnt actualy deliver it but did hand write her a nice note inclosed with the permit . as far as blissninnys go we simply dont have any My county is so Rural there is not a stoplight in the entire county , and "them sorta folks" are encuraged to take note of that fave if they do happen to stop at the C-Store for fuel or food lol , firarms ownership , well most vehicles have a gun or 10 in them since gun trading is a hobby that is right up there with watching football down here , ahh its good to live where i do LOL

Assistant Administrator
    RR - you are well situated! Great to hear.

Wish that all areas were as yours.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Not to change the direction of this thread, but I really need to ask . . .

srfl,

Did you use just your DD214 alone in your appplication, or did you unclude any other supporting documents?

I submitted my DD214 from the Navy, taking at face value the statement in the "how-to apply pamplet from the state that it would be accepted as proof of proper training. Hopefully, whoever reviews my package will know what "GMG" and "Ordenace Mechanics" mean.

I wish I could have located my discharge from the FLARNG, I'd have sent that one, too. It might have carried more weight, as I was a fire team leader in an Infantry company.

What do you think? The pamplet seemed to say that just a DD214 would be enough and that point is the only thing I can think of that might possibly be any sort of problem.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    What do you think? The pamplet seemed to say that just a DD214 would be enough and that point is the only thing I can think of that might possibly be any sort of problem.

mm
    I think it is assumed that if you have a DD214 you have had basic firearms training.

I guess the proper question might be how much? I figure that being Army I probably had more basic firearms training than the Navy and Air Force, but maybe less than a Marine. The other question might be how has the training changed over the years? All this is probably too much for a State to do more than generalize about.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I think it is assumed that if you have a DD214 you have had basic firearms training.
    Thanks, Rick, I suspect you are right. If it should turn out to be otherwise, I'll simply "jump thu the hoops" and get another copy of my other discharge and send it in.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

WV is great!

Another Oregon Input: Eugene/Springfield/Lane County:

Oregon overall is very gun friendly but we do have "representatives" in the House and Senate who wish us to be like California

Here in Eugene (Lane County) the Sheriff (the issueing authority) is VERY gun friendly. I just did my renewal and it took maybe 20 minutes and I had to wait for the person in front of me. The best deal was that they run my BG right then and there (to ensure no felonies or misdemeanors in the past 4 years), took the picture, and printed out the card, handed it to me and said Good Day.

It was all done by the Sheriff himself

Eugene/Lane County is a strange city/county. We are about 51% liberal and 49% conservative. I would guess that without the college we would be more conservative since the college and the town around it are 100% liberal (okay, 99.9%).

Oregon also has a law on the books that disallow cities/counties/etc.. from making their own gun laws even though Portland ignores it. Without Portland, Oregon would have been a Red State but Portland basically runs the State .

If the anti's get their way and turn Oregon into California or even Washington (no NFA weapons) then I'm moving, most likely to Alaska if I can find somehow to live untill I start to get paid or to Florida.

Wayne

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links