Let me get a flavor.

This is a discussion on Let me get a flavor. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in VA, however in the City of Portsmouth where I currently live both the Sheriff (who just got voted out of office replacement-pro-gun) ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let me get a flavor.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I live in VA, however in the City of Portsmouth where I currently live both the Sheriff (who just got voted out of office replacement-pro-gun) and the Chief of Police are extremely anti-gun. However, the officers that work for these knuckleheads are generally gun-neutral. They don't really like CCW (may be an "office politics type thing) but really don't give you a hard time when you are (traffic stops). INterestingly VA being an open-carry state (and I will in the summer, big guys lke me sweat alot) they don't harass at all. Weird?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ibex
    I don't quite understand, I thought PA is shall-issue, i.e. they must issue if you qualify? Can they just do that?
    I am a resident of Oregon and was so at the time I applied. The first county said I needed to own land to be considered while Buck's county said, "Come on it!". Let's see what happens in three months when I need to renew from out of state...I applied in person but will not be able to renew in person so I hope this is not an issue. I keep a PA in the event someone passes away and I need to be there for the event.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Got my permit from El Paso County... made appointment, went into Sherrif's station, got printed and paid fees, turned in paperwork, showed active military ID for the "training" requirement, permit showed up in the mail in less than two weeks.

Colorado rocks on toast.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I live in Washington state. We, at least, still respect gun owners. The permit is good for 5 years at a time. I can carry my gun in cities where I cannot carry a taser, because many cities in the state have outlawed them even if you are certified for using one (like as in security guard certified).

~CZ

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    I've travelled through a major portion of PA and outside of the major metropolis areas (Philadelphia and Pittsburg) the environment has been great.
    I have no personal experience with Philadelphia, but the city has a bad reputation.

Pittsburgh is good. The office that issues carry permits (Allegheny County SO) is efficient and courteous. They're also pretty busy.

SSKC

Most of the people I know do not own guns. After all why would you need one? Bad stuff only happens on TV and to strangers! hah
    I got in a debate with an anti gun friend and asked what he would do if someone broke into his house and was ready to kill his wife and daughter. He said he would give the guy whatever he wants and tell him to leave. Sheeple. So many people are just blind, never been out of condition white their whole lives.

Here in central Michigan the process seemed very easy and friendly. I did not sense that anyone I encountered during the process had a problem with me exercising my right to carry. The toughest and longest part for me was waiting for completion of the background check. My appearance before the Gun Board was more of a formality. It took about 3 minutes consisted of the board reviewing my info, a comment about where I took my training and all three members declaring, “I accept.” It was all very friendly.

As to the general public, I am not sure what to say. Most of the people that I know or encounter here in MI are, or have family that are, hunters, so guns are generally accepted and enjoyed as a part of life. When it comes to strangers, I generally avoid subjects that create emotional conversations (arguments?). I don’t feel that my carry status is any of their business.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis
    ...what he would do if someone broke into his house and was ready to kill his wife and daughter. He said he would give the guy whatever he wants...
    Including the wife and daughter.

Senior Moderator
    Here in Arkansas its pretty gun friendly. Guns in the pickup truck are no big deal and it is a "SHALL ISSUE" state.

For you yankees that dont know what SHALL means, it means that unless you have a valid excuse such as being an ex felon,certifiably crazy or a known menace to society then it will be issued.

No politics,no petty BS to put up with,you dont have beg,lie or donate to get one. Just pay the fees,clear the background check and its all yours.

Simple aint it ?

I am truly sorry for the American citizens that cant get one because some liberal antigun politician dosent believe that you should be able defend yourself with one.

Assistant Administrator
    Fortunately HG - tho I am sorta ''Yankee territory" - PA is a good 'shall-issue'' - tho there are variations from county to county. Mine is particularly efficient but I do hear of some that do it slower - mailing it after a week or so. Mine was 'walk-in-walk-out''

Indeed, those states who do not offer this are IMO worthy of reprimand - were there anyone to do the knuckle rapping of course. The constitution should be not only upheld fully but that to be across all states - no exceptions.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I live in a heavily Mormon infested area. While I don't agree with their religious beliefs, they are generally good people and very strongly conservative. It's the California people that give us fits; we get them in droves. Their liberal leanings have worked their way into our local communities in Maricopa County and swung some of our politics left of center. Guns are everywhere, though. Ranges are often crowded, at this time of year the gunshops are almost as busy as WalMart, Gun Shows are packed and there are shot up cactus all over the desert. We like our guns in Arizona.
    While I live in Maricopa County as well I've seen a slightly different view of it. Getting my CCW was easy, took the course and mailed in the form and registration fee. Unfortunately I still live in the barracks on base, where our base commander has publically gone on record saying that if he had his way none of his airman would be able to carry a gun while off duty and that the only use he saw for them (when we are off duty) is for hunting and target shooting.

My other home (the fiance's place) is in Tempe, home of ASU. And probably the most anti-gun part of AZ. Her entire apartment complex is filled with sheeple. I know I've given several of her neighbors a good scare when I've run outside while either open carrying or without my cover garment.

Hi Chris,

I live in a left leaning town in a right leaning county. Here, weregister by county and our sheriff's department is middle of the road to reasonable about CCW. The Sergeant who handles applications is very accomodating, but some of the clerks would have trouble taking an order without letteuce on the burger and appear to be actively intransigent about the paperwork. Our town is definitely anti. CCW people here naturally not advertisers, but I have "made " some people carrying in town, so I'm not alone. I do know that attitudes vary from county to county. It seems that many jurisductions rely on office holder personality rather than the letter of the law.

Be Well,

Scarface
    Scarface
    Good night, Chesty, wherever you are
    http://www.anklepocket.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Buck - so could be worse!

Seems that mix of lefty anti-ism and partial support is becoming more commonplace over quite wide areas.

One of worst things I hear of in ''shall issue'' states is counties where the particular sheriff is not enthusiastic and presents hoops and hurdles he is not really mandated to do.

I consider my county here very good indeed - almost the best I have come across.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I live in a heavily Mormon infested area. .

Infested??? Bumper????

Are we like Termites?????
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I live in Cape Girardeau County in Missouri….When we had the voter referendum on CCW back in ‘98 this county voted 65% in favor (only Dem-o-crap voting shenanigans in St Louis defeated it then) and that was the lowest percentage in this part of the state (known as “The Bootheel due to the shape of the state line). This state still makes you get a “Permit to Acquire” (PTA) a handgun and allows up to 10 days for the sheriff to issue even though modern electronics take a few minutes, and some sheriffs take the whole time as a defacto waiting period. At my sheriff’s office you hand the dispatcher your drivers license and they are back with the PTA before you finish filling out the form.

When CCW finally passed the antis tried some legal tricks to stop it, one of which they claimed violated a constitutional provision preventing the state from passing unfunded mandates on the counties and cities (long story). The sheriff of my county testified in favor of allowing the law to be implemented and started issuing as soon as was possible, even before all the legal fixes were in place.

No rifles or shotguns in pickup rear windows but since the law allows anyone over 21 to car carry it is assumed many vehicles contain a handgun. This is a pretty rural area once outside of the city of Cape Girardeau (Rush Limbaugh’s home town) and pretty conservative, almost every guy hunts (and many gals) so you are safe to assume every rural house has guns. I live in the country and during the summer it is a rare weekend day that you don’t hear some gun shots at some point, especially if you live near me

Outside of St Louis (also refered to as "The Loo") and Kansas Chitty the whole state is pretty pro gun.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links