Let me get a flavor.

This is a discussion on Let me get a flavor. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK - for those here in shall issue states mainly - let's hear what ''friendliness factor'' you would ascribe to your locale - not the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let me get a flavor.

Assistant Administrator

Let me get a flavor.

OK - for those here in shall issue states mainly - let's hear what ''friendliness factor'' you would ascribe to your locale - not the state you reside in - your own local, even personal territory.

Extend this to gun attitudes in general if you like.

Round here in PA is pretty gun savvy but I still have a problem knowing how great is the density of carry in my county, other than my figures from Sheriff's office, which suggests quite a high uptake. So - what I mean here is, I rarely make anyone!! Good I guess. Something like 6% CCW in PA.

I can probably expect there to be a majority ''gun in every house'' status - if only because PA is around the top of hunting states.

Let's extend this too - give me your local ''blissninny'' factor - how you'd rate non gunny folks response to knowing you own guns. We have those here - some anyways, so I'd say the factor was in my semi rural area about 2/10 - but if I went to a large conurbation then maybe that would rise to a 7/10 - just guessing. You know how folks are these days!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I happen to live in the only left-leaning part of Idaho. The unions and special interest groups pour dollars by the hundreds of thousands here to keep their little stronghold. Thank god for no local pre-emption.

Our local police chief is a NJ transplant. His training officer looks down on civilians with guns. Getting a signoff for NFA stuff is impossible or next to it if you're not a family friend.

The sheriff, well, he's got enough health problems that he crashes cars enough that last I checked he wasn't able to drive a department marked vehicle. He frequently operates in flagrant violation of the law - had to be sued to issue permits in the early 90s, revokes permits without the required hearings, that sort of thing. NFA signoff, again, family friends or someone who got very very lucky.

The minute the old lady is done with college we're moving over the county line. Until then, thank god for corporate NFA purchases. :)

The people themselves here are great. Guns are guns. Nobody cares. Everybody has them, lots of folks carry, and it's a great town if we could throw the city and county LEO management in a pit and walk away.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

PA is great. Here on the border of NJ I interact w/ PA LEO at a gym/fitness center. All nice guys. One retired LEO w/ a FFL helping me w/ advice, purchase and training. Other LEO to go to the range with. Even w/ me, a pony tailed, bearded mc rider. I guess being a law abiding vet means more to them than my outward appearances.

My ex wife is from farm country south of York, PA and if I ever was around without a handgun for self defense or didn't hunt, they would look at me like I had three heads. Carrying AND hunting was assumed of me. It took them awhile to warm up to the fact that I prefer archery hunting to rifle hunting.

I've travelled through a major portion of PA and outside of the major metropolis areas (Philadelphia and Pittsburg) the environment has been great.

On the other hand, most of the transplants from NJ do not have the same attitude and are the usual blissninnies. I never made any of the NJ transplants my community and I have never been asked about it from them.

One of my previous neighbors, NJ transplants that my wife and I have become friends with, had twp house alarm incidents. Since we became personal friends w/ them, I shared some of my beliefs about being able to defend family. They discounted my advice. They had two incidents where their house alarm went off and they cowered in a bedroom until police came. They went out and bought a dog and want to get firearms training and purchase a gun. How quickly the tune changes when faced w/ danger.

Hard to say here really but becuse of detroit it could swing either way ..

Firearms is something i dont talk to customers about as a rule unless there is Animals on the wall or guns hanging etc etc

There is a mixture for gun totters here.

The majority of people I interact with are fine with people carrying although nobody wants to discuss the issue. There is a split with LEO, some are fine with it while others are not. I once had to pick up my son who was picked up after crewfew and when the officer asked for my ID I gave him both my drive lic and CHL...the officer ended up discussing guns and tactics for about 10 minutes and then allowed me to take my son home while my son's friends took a trip to the police station.

Concerning PA, I moved from there 10 years ago, three years ago I attempted to get a CHL from Montgomery county, my former county where I live. They would not allow it but I did live in Bucks county prior to that and they were more then happy to accept my application. One week later it was in the mail.

I happen to be chatting with my mother today and self-defense and she told me that anyone she speaks to on the topic of carrying say they do not want to know anything about it (80 and over crowd). My friends (my age) in PA are perfectly fine with CHL holders. Guess no matter were you go there are varying thoughts on CHL holders.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

alaska has a mindset that is just, unique. true antis are far and few between. surprisingly though, the majority of individuals i have come into contact with do not know the details of alaskas gun laws, and just how simple it is to carry.

i read one statistic that shows alaska has the highest rate of gun thefts in the nation. i'd say that 2 out of 3 homes have guns in them. if i had to guess, i'd say that 1 out of 10 adults carries.

almost no one freaks out about open carry, not at stop-n-robs, restaurants, or the hippy-liberal-cafes even. except the bank. for some reason they dont take too kindly to people open carrying there. hehehe.

most often you'll find that people you encounter who see you are armed will engage in a positive discussion. heck, even buying gunrags at the local grocery store will get the clerk to ask for advice.

Lead Moderator
    N. MI is great. Many hunters and most families grew up with generations of hunters. The Opener of Rifle deer season is marked by a day off for public schools. In a smaller town , like mine gun shots heard outside of city limits is common year round. The local Sheriff made the re-cert. for CCW easy too. No 1 on 1 interviews for re- cert. just asked the basic questions, answered questions and gave us our new permits.

Texas. Guns in pickup windows. Need I say more?
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I live in NY, do I realy need to say more?

So what are ya Saying Bruce NY isnt gun friendly

Lead Moderator
    There seems to be a line running down the East coast..... NY, NJ, MD!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I really can't add to much to this discussion except, "Ain't it great to live in the Gunshine State?"

I work in a hospital and you might think that many there might lean towards the "anti" side of the gun question. If so, you would be wrong.

In fact, it was one of the nursing supervisors that convinced me to take a serious look into the GLOCK line, as I had no interest in them, myself. All I knew about them was what I'd heard years ago, when they first came on the sceen. (And I did wind up buying a G23.)

I was a bit worried about how things would go when I went to the S.O. for the electronic fingerprint scan, but those concerns turned out to be completely unfounded. Everyone I encounted there was very open and friendly. Heck, I might well have been applying for a fishing license!

I've not actually discussed *my* carrying concealed with much of anyone however, as I feel that would kind of contradict the term, "concealed."

The one person at work who voiced the opinion that she would never touch a gun because that's what the Police were for, was also the one that said if I was right about the Governor of Mississippi having been the one that really "screwed the pooch" during Katrina and NOT GW, that the Prez should have "fired" the Gov.

I tried to explain that the President didn't have the power to do that sort of thing and then she wanted to know, "Why not?"

I decided that I really didn't have the patience to continue the conversation and suggested a remedial class in Basic American Government.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    So what are ya Saying Bruce NY isnt gun friendly
    Well, so, so I guess. Most countys issue permits, but its realy just a permit to own a pistol cauce they are restricted to Hunting and target shooting and transporting a wepon there for. The real kicker is it costs $135 to get the permit $99 application fee, finger print fee, 3 hour safety course fee,Wait 11 weeks for the backround check,etc then they give ya a restricted permit?????????

Assistant Administrator
    Great! It's fascinating to get the broader picture. Thx.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I live in a heavily Mormon infested area. While I don't agree with their religious beliefs, they are generally good people and very strongly conservative. It's the California people that give us fits; we get them in droves. Their liberal leanings have worked their way into our local communities in Maricopa County and swung some of our politics left of center. Guns are everywhere, though. Ranges are often crowded, at this time of year the gunshops are almost as busy as WalMart, Gun Shows are packed and there are shot up cactus all over the desert. We like our guns in Arizona.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links