Storage of a firearm while on a military base

This is a discussion on Storage of a firearm while on a military base within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a civilian, but am going to Alamagordo NM for a job interview next week. We will be checking out the jobsite while there (Holloman ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage of a firearm while on a military base

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

I'm a civilian, but am going to Alamagordo NM for a job interview next week. We will be checking out the jobsite while there (Holloman AFB) What do I do with my sidearm while on the base? Do I lock it in the toolbox? Drop it off at the sheriff's office and pick it up when I get done? Or do I just leave it at home and take my chances while on the road?
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Or do I just leave it at home and take my chances while on the road?
    Probably the smartest thing to do.
    Federal military installations do not recognize state-issued handgun permits

I'd have to agree, that unless you know the local sheriff, you might have to leave it home.

DON'T, under any circumstances take it on base. (If you do, find a way to let us know where you will be spending your next 20 years. I'll try to find a way to bake that file into the cake I send you.)
    ;>}
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

If you want it with you for the trip, how about contacting a local gun shop that may hold it for you while you go on the base, and you can pick it up later. I don't think that would be too hard to work out, and sure beats travel without protection.

I have a DoD ID card, and when I've travelled and had to go onto a base or fort, I put my unloaded pistol in a lockbox in the car. When arriving at the gate I told them I had it and how it was stored. It was pretty easy, at their direction, to take it to their armory for storage until I left. However, I can't say all facilities are set up to help you out like that, so I'd sure have an alternate plan that avoids even arriving at a gate with a firearm onboard.

And, remember, they have the right to search your vehicle whenever they wish--I've seen such a search, and you don't ever want to be cute and try to simply have it hidden in the vehicle, since I can guarantee you that it will be found.

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    leave it at home
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Call the base Provost Marshal. On many military/federal installations, (such as the one I work on) there are lock boxes at the main gate office to lock your firearm up while you're on base.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Another option (I'm not saying it is a good option)--

Store your firearm in your hotel room safe or in a lockbox with a cable attached to something sturdy. Conceal said lockbox inside luggage.

Hang the Do Not Disturb sign.

Just another thought.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    Call the base Provost Marshal. On many military/federal installations, (such as the one I work on) there are lock boxes at the main gate office to lock your firearm up while you're on base.

Not so much for Air Force bases....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Base carry

I have been told that it's a lot like traveling through California. You have to store the firearm in a lockable case in the trunk or some where that is not easily available to you and the unloaded magazine in another area. It would be best to ask Base Security for their preferred procedure. I don't carry whenever I go on base, but that always requires advanced planning.

Unfortunately, leave it at home.

Here's another thought. If you get the job, what are you going to do with your gun every day? Leave it at home?

Not to hijack this thread, I'm confused. Served in the Marines '81-'85, myself and my fellow jarheads all had personal weapons on base, mostly bought at a good discount at the PX. We kept them in the armory . Could check them out any time while not on duty and go to the range, hunting, etc. Has this changed?

You could call the base operator and ask for the police..ask them if they have a way for you to store your firearm while on the base.

Otherwise I would leave it at home, you don't want a surprise inspection of your vehicle to turn up a firearm.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice guys!! I guess I will be leaving it at home.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

A couple things you may look at. Like others have said, call Holloman AFB ahead of time and ask if the Security Forces will store your gun while on base. Second, consider buying a small firearm lock box, make sure you get a hotel with a safe in the room and lock it up there. What ever you do, don't try to sneak the gun on base. That would be a very, very bad thing.
    Last edited by ronwill; September 27th, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

I too am a civilian working on a Air Force Base. Like many have said I would leave it home on this trip. Just as you are doing for your work I would perform a survey for your firearm. The AFI 31-101 covers this but since 9/11 is not generally available in the public domain. The base should have a corresponding 31-101 you can call the 49th SFS at the number below. Each base is different.

"Please don't hesitate to contact us at 572-7171 if you have any questions or concerns. "
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys!! I guess I will be leaving it at home.
    I think you saw somel viable options posted, likely involving several phone calls to check into, yet you choose to "...just leave it at home and take my chances while on the road..." as you mentioned in your opening post?!

Carry isn't always the most convenient option as we all know, but I'd encourage you to not throw in the towel so readily, flagflyfish.

Good luck with the trip and interview.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links