Who has small kids?

This is a discussion on Who has small kids? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 3 month old daughter, so im not worried so much now since she cant walk or really crawl yet, but for later.... ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has small kids?

Who has small kids?

I have a 3 month old daughter, so im not worried so much now since she cant walk or really crawl yet, but for later....

i dont have a gun safe yet, but i keep all guns unloaded in my closet with ammo/mags locked in a small lockbox in the top corner of the closet except for my moms pistol in her night stand (the one im really worried about) and my pistol that goes in my night stand when im asleep.

as for these im getting a small safe i can mount in the hidden drawer in our night stands, but i need info on what you guys have done to secure your weapons with kids in the house. im looking at a marine magnum for home defense but how would i childproof this and not take 5 minutes (excageration-sp?) to get it ready in the event of a break in. i only have my daughter every other weekend right now, so should i just put it away when i have her and rely on my trusty 1911?

anything yall do, anything i can buy to protect my daughter?

like i said not a problem today but will be soon and i want to be ahead of her so i dont get suprised when she starts "discovering the world"
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

I had two kids around from cell cluster to college, but that's really beside the point. You should have your firearms safely and responsibly secured, anyway, for many reasons. If you can afford a firearm, you can afford to secure it from theft, fire, and unauthorized access.

If you have your marine magnum shottie out for protection, it should be under the control of a responsible adult at all times, anyway. It is no good to you if it is not within reach. If it is within reach, you can control access. If you have handguns ready for self-defense, and you have children in the house, your weapons should be under your direct control at all times. If there are only adults in the house, you have to decide what precautions you will take, but you cannot afford to gamble that children won't be curious and try to get to your weapons.

If your weapons are not in use, they should be secured, so curious little hands can't get to them. I have used a full-size gun safe for weapons not in use, a quick-access handgun safe with auto-lockout requiring a key after the third unsuccessful attempt to enter the combination, and the lock allows 5+ digits with combination digits allowed. I can get into it in a couple of seconds, at night, in the dark, but it isn't realistically possible for someone to guess the combination without unlimited time.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I keep a couple loaded pistols in my gunvault next to my bed. I also have an unloaded shotgun with a couple box of shells in the gunvault. I am going to get a wall mounted loc box for the shotgun so I can keep it loaded and locked up at the same time.

GunVault - Gun Safes for Home or Office - Home

I also do continuous gun safety education with my kids, over and over and over....................

My kids are 7 and 11 currently but I started with the education as soon as I felt they would benefit from it. An adult who owns and carrys a firearm on their person is very normal for them.

My biggest concern isn't so much what happens at my house, but what happens at a friend's house with kids that aren't as educated about firearms who live with parents that own guns.

I go over lots of different scenarios with them.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Grandkids, living at home. I also use a gunvault next to the bed with a Colt DET Spec loaded in it. I also put lead shot in the bottom so it is heavier than heck. I have a American Spirit large safe for my other weapons.

beside the point but, most of my guns were past down from friends and family, i have 1 i bought. i dont know if you are trying to flame me but i havent spent much on firearms because of school, now that im done i plan on a "gun allowance" to include a safe

my 2 long guns are secured with locks and ammo in a lock box, the defense pistols are stored with mine condition one my moms condition 3 since she doesnt like the idea of hers being "cocked and locked". i will be buying a safe with tax returns this year (provided it doesnt end up like the last 2 years when i had school to pay for) but i was looking for opinions on what yall have and how well it serves the purpose. i dont like the idea of my self defense pistol being locked in a large safe that i have to get to and open before i can get my pistol, but i would like a small one mounted to the night stand i can access quickly.

i am confident my long arms are child safe, but not for theft or fire

i just need to find a way to child proof the pistols accessibly, if i dont find a way soon that i feel is up to my standards of "child proof" i will have to lock them up till i do
    Ted Nugent

high altitude: thanks for the site, bout to place an order when i decide on bio-metric or not (which do you have? like it, any problems?) and i completely agree with the education, i grew up with guns in my parents closet but being raised at the deer lease as much as home we had lots of safety talks and both me and my brother knew about the safety, and how to load/unload/shoot/and somewhat clean all of our guns by the time we were 3 or 4.
    Ted Nugent

when you buy the safe

check ebay/craigs list. Compare the prices you see with the MFR's website. You might find a good deal. I bought the GV2000, without the biometrics as I'm not sure that part was necessary.

H@H

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    high altitude: thanks for the site, bout to place an order when i decide on bio-metric or not (which do you have? like it, any problems?) and i completely agree with the education, i grew up with guns in my parents closet but being raised at the deer lease as much as home we had lots of safety talks and both me and my brother knew about the safety, and how to load/unload/shoot/and somewhat clean all of our guns by the time we were 3 or 4.
    I bought mine before they had the biometrics. Works good, I have never had a problem with it.

It is a basic multi model.

GV2000C - STD
    MULTI

I set a pretty basic combination and it has been the exact same since the day I started to use it.

I don't know anything about the biometrics option.

My six year old daughter goes with me to the range regularly. She understands wht guns are and can do. I make her watch the NRA's "Eddie the Eagle" DVD every once in a while so it is fresh on her mind. Most of my wepons are locked up. However, two are always available. One is in a cabinet in the kitchen far above her reach. The other is my EDC and always near me. I think because I have always been up front with her about guns her curiosity has been sated.

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    My six year old daughter goes with me to the range regularly. She understands wht guns are and can do. I make her watch the NRA's "Eddie the Eagle" DVD every once in a while so it is fresh on her mind. Most of my wepons are locked up. However, two are always available. One is in a cabinet in the kitchen far above her reach. The other is my EDC and always near me. I think because I have always been up front with her about guns her curiosity has been sated.
    There was only one time my kids violated our safety talks, and they were very young. Peer pressure can be powerful, and when a neighborhood friend bragged in a superior way that her daddy had a gun, mine naturally countered. Of course, then came the challenge to prove it, of course. Fortunately, there was nothing for them to get to and they came to me. I shut that down, and afterwards, we had yet another talk. It never happened again.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Gun vault or a similar maker makes a safe for long guns that clamps around the receiver and you can mount it to a wall or other convenient location and it can't be moved until the combo is put in.
    GUNVAULT GV3000C-SPT LONG GUNVAULT for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $166.00
    It looks like a pretty cool idea when I saw it my first thought was to bolt it to the floor under my bed.

I have a 3 year old and 1 year old. I keep one gunvault in my bedroom and one down in the basement. The Gunvault works off a four button keypad and I actually told my 3 year old to take a crack at it.(she failed) As they get older I'm going to improve the security though. I worry more about when they're teenagers mainly. My guns are in the various vaults with loaded mags next to them, I doubt I could get instant access if say a BG was standing over me while I was sleeping. We do have a really loud alarm system.

Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    I have a 3 month old daughter, so im not worried so much now since she cant walk or really crawl yet, but for later....

i dont have a gun safe yet, but i keep all guns unloaded in my closet with ammo/mags locked in a small lockbox in the top corner of the closet except for my moms pistol in her night stand (the one im really worried about) and my pistol that goes in my night stand when im asleep.

as for these im getting a small safe i can mount in the hidden drawer in our night stands, but i need info on what you guys have done to secure your weapons with kids in the house. im looking at a marine magnum for home defense but how would i childproof this and not take 5 minutes (excageration-sp?) to get it ready in the event of a break in. i only have my daughter every other weekend right now, so should i just put it away when i have her and rely on my trusty 1911?

anything yall do, anything i can buy to protect my daughter?

like i said not a problem today but will be soon and i want to be ahead of her so i dont get suprised when she starts "discovering the world"
    I will say it again, there is more risk of the child coming in contact with a gun left alone, even for a few minutes, than a home invasion.

If it is not on your person, it needs to be locked up. And the keys stored somewhere out of reach of the child(ren). Children are very smart and resourceful, even at 2 or 3 years of age.

We just read where a small child got a hold of the father's gun while the dad was sleeping - mom had just warned the child not to touch it. It is just too risky.

Tom I think you are correct to always remain vigilant. This is one of those things where is no second chance. Thanks.

We have a 18 month old son so all our guns & ammo are stored in the big safe (with other keepsakes & important papers) although our EDC pistols & Glock w/light (for home defense) are locked up in a GunVault Biometric (fingerprint) safe next too but above our bed for quick access but are still securely locked.

Heres the GunVault website w/the Bio vault

GunVault - Fingerprint recognition in a small safe - MultiVault Biometric
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links