Wife wants to CC update

Wife wants to CC update

This is a discussion on Wife wants to CC update within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back in July I had posted about my concerns of the wife wanting to start packing. I want to thank all the helpful forum members ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wife wants to CC update

Back in July I had posted about my concerns of the wife wanting to start packing. I want to thank all the helpful forum members for there encouragement and support. Update- She received her LTC class A on Sat , Yesterday went to the range after church to try out a few weapons. It was $20 for the indoor lane, $5 per gun used plus ammo. Man can she shoot, even the range officer was impressed. What have I done? She's competitive and I know whats next. Anyway $100 later she has decided on the S&W M&P 9c for her carry, liked the way it felt and shot. I see that S&W has a $50 rebate starting Oct.1 nice timing. Need some help on a holster, she wants to carry @ 10 O'clock weak side draw OWB any ideas? Thanks again this site has been an asset. Cling-On

VIP Member
    You need to get her signed up on here! Tell her congrat's from the forum members too. Is she left handed? If not I'm not sure why she would want to carry at the 10 o'clock position, unless she plans on using a crossdraw rig. Might check Galco to see what they have that would work for her.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

By 10 O'clock weak side draw I am going to assume that you are referring to a cross-draw? That is what I am picking up. If she is looking to draw off the left side of her body and she is right handed, it would be cross-draw. I would very strongly discourage a cross draw due to tactical disadvantages and safety reasons, especially for a first time CCWer. I am nto trying to pick on her or you here, just telling it like it is. Cross draw techniques present weapon presentation issues, and the area the muzzle sweeps on a typical cross draw is much larger. In a stressful situation, this could be bad juju... IF you are NOT referring to cross draw, and I am mentally handicapped, then please ignore pretty much this whole post.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I would have to +1 for staying away from the crossdraw, way to many speed, and safety issues for the first time CCW person to overcome. Just my .02 cents.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Great choice on the 9c. I carry mine strong side IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck. You can adjust the cant yourself to set it exactly how you like it. If she wants OWB, I'd go leather all the way.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    One of my daughter's friend's mother and I were talking at church. Somehow the conversation of protecting your family came up. Not sure how. But this little lady, like 98 lbs. soaking wet, would take out a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck magnum shells to defend her family. Her eyes turned to fire as we discussed this. Scared me a bit.

Seems that woman have this maternal instinct to protect their family, too. I guess it is a bit politically incorrect to be a mama bear and protect your cubs, but I would fear the worst confronting some of these woman.

Maybe she will out shoot you in a match.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Any woman who WOULDN'T protect her family at whatever costs is a poor mother.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would stay away from cross draw holsters
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Sorry for the confusion, yes it would be cross draw. She wants to keep the weapon in front, it might be a hip profile thing? Maybe at 2 O clock strong side? I don't know, I'm sure it'll change and there will be more holsters for the drawer. She has shown interest in the forum reads it over my shoulder from time to time. Good thing I haven't posted anything I'm embarrassed of.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Back in July I had posted about my concerns of the wife wanting to start packing. I want to thank all the helpful forum members for there encouragement and support. Update- She received her LTC class A on Sat , Yesterday went to the range after church to try out a few weapons. It was $20 for the indoor lane, $5 per gun used plus ammo. Man can she shoot, even the range officer was impressed. What have I done? She's competitive and I know whats next. Anyway $100 later she has decided on the S&W M&P 9c for her carry, liked the way it felt and shot. I see that S&W has a $50 rebate starting Oct.1 nice timing. Need some help on a holster, she wants to carry @ 10 O'clock weak side draw OWB any ideas? Thanks again this site has been an asset. Cling-On
    Excellent choice. I have one myself. I don't have a cross draw holster. I have a Desantis Speed Scabbard, Comp-Tac Paddle Holster and a Comp-Tac CTAC.

I saw some cross draw holsters on this site:

SCABBARDS
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

VIP Member
    I know it is going to be her decision, what she feels most comfortable with, but as others have said, crossdraw probably isn't her best choice. Don't know what you have available for stores near you, but have her look at strong side, either, 2 or 4 o'clock carry. If as you said it is a "hip profile" thing, carrying in either of those positions should minimize it for her.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats!!!!

Since she likes the forums, direct her here...
    Cornered Cat - Table of Contents
    By women, for women. You may never get the computer back again!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Women have it tough cc'ing b/c of their profile.

Many women do find crossdraw to be the most comfortable option.

The muzzle sweeping can be eliminated by a proper draw technique. It would have to be practiced, but whatever she chooses needs to be practiced.

The main disadvantage to crossdraw, especially for women, is that if the bad guy comes right up to you and is "rubbing against" close, you cannot reach your weapon.

Whatever your wife chooses, make sure she practices her draw, and getting behind cover when available, and everything else that comes with possibly having to be in a gunfight.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Back in July I had posted about my concerns of the wife wanting to start packing.
    My wife started packing too. She packed up and I haven't seen her since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links