I need some gun law info from the following states

This is a discussion on I need some gun law info from the following states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My sister and I will be taking a trip to the lower 48 states for a little road trip, and will be driving through the ...

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

My sister and I will be taking a trip to the lower 48 states for a little road trip, and will be driving through the following states...

TN, VA, KY, OH, and FL.

If it is possible to get some basic info on where I can and cannot carry in each of these states, and the transport of firearms.

This trip is planned for April 6-14 of next year, and probably will be in a different state each day we're down there. So if anyone from these states can give me some info, I would greatly appreciate it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Ohio's CCW Laws

Ohio's laws have recently changed - actually for the better. Here's the website.

Ohio Attorney General

Enjoy your trip
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

The link to Florida's Concealed weapons program is below. That is also a good reference for the other states as there is links to all of the state which we have reciprocity. There is a site that I believe is generally current but I don't remember it because I like to get it straight from the state's web so, if something happened I had paper dated just before my trip and from their website. In Fl it's part of the responsibility of a CCWer to know the law and where to access it. cause it does change.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Best place to get info is Handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    Ky is one of the best. Can't carry in a bar but can carry in restuarants that sell alcohol. No courthouse. No LBL ( land Between The Lakes ), Thats about it. Open carry is fine if you're 18 even without a permit. Don't have to inform an officer. You can carry Numbchux, Brass knuckles, knives etc.... Ya'll come see us.

TN is pretty simple. No need to inform. CC or OC. Stay out of restaurants that serve any kind of alcohol. National/State Parks are off limits - as well as many local parks. Your normal state/federal buildings - court houses and such.

Florida's laws

This has been posted a hundred times, but I'll do it again... its good to have a refresher from time to time.

Regarding FL places off-limits for concealed carry:
    any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
    You also can't open carry at all (i.e. keep it WELL concealed.)

You are also not allowed at any sporting event what-so-ever while carrying a firearm, unless it is a gun-related event (i.e. - trap shooting, etc.) If a pick-up flag football game materializes out of nowhere in front of you, you must leave. Yes the law is that strict.

You are not required to inform an officer if you are carrying, so in FL it is your personal preference... but keep both your Concealed Carry Permit and Drivers License with you at all times.

"No Guns" signs carry no weight of law in FL, so if you are "made" in a business with such a sign, trespass laws apply (i.e. - get the hell out NOW.) In addition, FL has a felony crime known as "armed trespass"... if you are found to be both trespassing and carrying a gun, you go to jail for a long time. That is (one of the reasons) why I tend to avoid places with "No Gun" signs.

Florida has strict rules about being under the influence while "using" a firearm, so stay away from booze. You can, however, carry in restaurants which serve alcohol, but you cant sit at the bar, or in an area which would be understood to be "the bar" (such as when a restaurant has a bar in a room separated from the rest of the dining area.)

Florida has strict rules about allowing children access to firearms, so keep it on you or securely locked up.

You may keep a gun "securely encased" in your car at any time with or without a carry permit. To be securely encased, it must be in a closed container or snapped holster. A glove box or center console with a lid count as "securely encased".

Otherwise, just use common sense.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Tennessee has five no-gos.

1. School: public, private, Pre-K-PhD, vo tec, ballgame
    2. Establishment that serves alcohol for on-premises consumption
    3. Park, civic center, publicly owned area of recreation
    4. Courtroom
    5. Area that is properly posted on every used entrance:
    The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).
    Welcome to Tennessee.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Where Unlawful to Carry

§18.2-308 (J.3.): No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

§18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

§18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason.

§18.2-283.1: Courthouse.

§18.2-308.1: School property. Exemptions to this statute include a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.

§18.2-287.01: Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

Source - Home > Firearms/Concealed Handguns > Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits
    All relevant firearm possession info such as lawful conditions of carry for non-residents by permit or no permit and more can be found at the above source link.

- Virginia State Police
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Gextyr, I wouldn't call flag football a "proffesional sporting event" ;).
    But there is professional (people paid to play) flag football.

Professional Flag Football League

As well there is professional paintball, pro-frisbee golf, pro-Ultimate (football with a flying disc), pro-Wiffle Ball, pro-dodgeball, pro-video gamers...

You name the sport, activity, or game and there is likely real world people and a league setup around it where participants are paid money to participate/play be it by teams or sponsors.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    That's weird, my post disappeared. Anywho.

My point is that there is obviously a difference between a "proffesional athletic event" and just a game played in the park. Odds are, if you have to pay to get in, you can't carry.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Don't know what route you'll be taking but if you pass through Georgia on your way to Florida, the following may help:

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by gextyr View Post
    This has been posted a hundred times, but I'll do it again... its good to have a refresher from time to time.

Regarding FL places off-limits for concealed carry:

You are also not allowed at any sporting event what-so-ever while carrying a firearm, unless it is a gun-related event (i.e. - trap shooting, etc.) If a pick-up flag football game materializes out of nowhere in front of you, you must leave. Yes the law is that strict.
    Horse hockey - See the entire text from 790.06 (12) below, I bolded the relevant text from semi colon to semi colon. If there exist another prohibition can you provide a citation?

Quote Originally Posted by gextyr View Post
    Florida has strict rules about allowing children access to firearms, so keep it on you or securely locked up.
    There are rules I would not say overly restrictive. See FS 790.17 and 790.22 below

FS790.06 (12)
    (12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

790.17 Furnishing weapons to minors under 18 years of age or persons of unsound mind and furnishing firearms to minors under 18 years of age prohibited.--

(1) A person who sells, hires, barters, lends, transfers, or gives any minor under 18 years of age any dirk, electric weapon or device, or other weapon, other than an ordinary pocketknife, without permission of the minor's parent or guardian, or sells, hires, barters, lends, transfers, or gives to any person of unsound mind an electric weapon or device or any dangerous weapon, other than an ordinary pocketknife, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2)(a) A person may not knowingly or willfully sell or transfer a firearm to a minor under 18 years of age, except that a person may transfer ownership of a firearm to a minor with permission of the parent or guardian. A person who violates this paragraph commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(b) The parent or guardian must maintain possession of the firearm except pursuant to s. 790.22.
    790.22 Use of BB guns, air or gas-operated guns, or electric weapons or devices by minor under 16; limitation; possession of firearms by minor under 18 prohibited; penalties.--

(1) The use for any purpose whatsoever of BB guns, air or gas-operated guns, or electric weapons or devices, by any minor under the age of 16 years is prohibited unless such use is under the supervision and in the presence of an adult who is acting with the consent of the minor's parent.

(2) Any adult responsible for the welfare of any child under the age of 16 years who knowingly permits such child to use or have in his or her possession any BB gun, air or gas-operated gun, electric weapon or device, or firearm in violation of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(3) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a firearm, other than an unloaded firearm at his or her home, unless:

(a) The minor is engaged in a lawful hunting activity and is:

1. At least 16 years of age; or

2. Under 16 years of age and supervised by an adult.

(b) The minor is engaged in a lawful marksmanship competition or practice or other lawful recreational shooting activity and is:

1. At least 16 years of age; or

2. Under 16 years of age and supervised by an adult who is acting with the consent of the minor's parent or guardian.

(c) The firearm is unloaded and is being transported by the minor directly to or from an event authorized in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b).

(4)(a) Any parent or guardian of a minor, or other adult responsible for the welfare of a minor, who knowingly and willfully permits the minor to possess a firearm in violation of subsection (3) commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    Last edited by rolyat63; September 30th, 2008 at 07:01 PM.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    In addition to Jang's response VA is an open carry state. Also we have an out of state CCH, just contact the Virginia State Police website to get the application and other info on the laws. Their website is very informative. The website is Virginia State Police.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your replies, this helps a lot. I know when we hit Ohio, we're going to an amusement park called Cedar Point, and KY, we're going to the National Corvette Museum. I know VA is an open carry state, but I don't plan to OC at all while I'm down there. To get to FL, we're most likely going through MS, then the southern tip of Alabama. We'll be spending most of our time hotel hopping and driving on the highways. Anyway, thanks again everyone!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Links