I got made by a street urchen

This is a discussion on I got made by a street urchen within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Sunday I was in one the better parts of town you know where the greyhound station is. I'm sure most bigger town have the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got made by a street urchen

I got made by a street urchen

On Sunday I was in one the better parts of town you know where the greyhound station is. I'm sure most bigger town have the same "quality" of folks hanging around. Back story: As many from Florida have said before, it hot here. I normally carry in a SOB IWB but I have recently aquired a Nelson-esque OWB. So, on this trip I decided to go with a tee shirt and a button up cover shirt (loose) since it has began to cool (It's been in the low 90s). My hard headed 18 year old step son was headed back to Texas. So, he could afford a bus ticket (almost), so we took him to the station. When we arrived there were several near-do-wells lurking about. SO the minute we pulled in the parking lot my SA was heightened. As we crossed the street one the scoundrel notice my alertsness as we made eye contact. Them he gave me the once over. He said "you got a gun" could have been a question or a statement. Either way I just kept walking. I went to the restroom and moved the holster from 3 oclock to 430 and unbuttoned the shirt. When I came out he was gone. Lesson learned.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

2. Remove Ads

Well, either way, he left and you were safe, so no harm no foul. A bump under a shirt does not mean gun to everyone. My large cell phone creates a bump at times. It was most likely your SA and attitude that woke him up to you not being an easy target for any nonsense or otherwise.

VIP Member
    Brings up an interesting point. IMHO I'd say that the "street folks" have a overall higher SA/street smarts than the "average Joe"
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    The zombies (sometimes) are smarter than they the look. I have some that I deal with at work that are complete mental cases. Anybody who has not dealt with them would make the logical assumption that they are window lickers, a complete waste of an able body... but, once you get to know them, they are nuts, but actually a lot smarter than anyone would believe.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Brings up an interesting point. IMHO I'd say that the "street folks" have a overall higher SA/street smarts than the "average Joe"
    They want victims, not opponents. Seems this yahoo had a thread of of 'smart-aleck' too.

In FL you need to be careful of printing too.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Glad to hear you two are ok...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    They want victims, not opponents. Seems this yahoo had a thread of of 'smart-aleck' too.

I kept thinking, what thread did I start that was about "smart-aleck"? After re-reading I see you are referring to the street urchin being "mouthy". I agree, the urchin was "popping off".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Don't let it get to you. Some of these characters are "trained" (by experience) on how to spot a cop. A good many cops carry off-duty and some look the same as a plain clothes detective. Maybe he thought you were a cop and didn't want any trouble. You handled it just right. By not responding he has no real idea.

Street Urchen

I have met some meth maggots, though zonked out of their mind, could spot an off duty cop a mile away. As it was said: they are "trained" (by choice or by repetition of meeting LE on a daily basis) or have to become more aware for survival.
    One thing I noticed you said to, you made "eye contact"... that is often rare in this day and age. It shows confidence or good upbringing, or so the lecture was as a child. But in that sort of world, it shows strength, dominance, etc. Most people don't make eye contact with folks like that; let's be honest. I do because that is what I was brought up and later trained to do.
    Reflecting, I guess I have avoided some confrontation by merely looking the "urchen" in the eye...
    Glad you are safe; most important thing.
    Oh, and though I have only recently been back to FL... having an OWB under a button up doesn't always work well. It also has alot to do with body type.
    Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I kept thinking, what thread did I start that was about "smart-aleck"? After re-reading I see you are referring to the street urchin being "mouthy". I agree, the urchin was "popping off".

I worded it bad....I've been working mids........

Yeah that urchin was definatlya wise
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    (I) moved the holster from 3 oclock to 430 and unbuttoned the shirt. When I came out he was gone. Lesson learned.
    Printing, clothing, demeanor, gait, alertness, cool appraisal of threats, confidence ... methinks, all of the above. Not all criminals are idiots. If you go "people watching" and make a habit of strengthening that skill, you quickly find all sorts of things can be seen if one takes any effort to go beyond merely looking.

Words to the wise: it's not just about printing. Blending in requires getting a whole bunch of indicators down pat, muting them until they're still effective but are under the radar. (In my case, it's a work in progress on several points.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree with all of the comments above. I was raised with spare the rod spoil the child mentality. I can assure you the rod was not spared. Unfortunately there is not enough of that today. While I don't advocate child abuse I do not believe what I rcvd was. As far as the SA of the urchen I agree. Its sad to say that there are too many folks that have slipped into that society. Even some of our veterans sadly. Then there is the need to spot your opponent as stated. I generally do not invite trouble. I am 6' and 3 bills most folks pick me at about 250-275 (I'm sure they are just being nice). It's been to my advantage, I've never been in a fight. Doesn't mean I haven't trained. Also, I work in the IC and travel globally so, my SA has been honed for over 25 years to include dealing with the Bader Meinhof Gang, Red Army Faction, hotels in dens festooned with folks that want to kill us all.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

maybe look into the comp-tac CTAC holster, its really, really thin.

It's what they DO all day, every day. Look for the MAN coming at them. Forget the holster change. Most good street cops can tell you've got a gun on by your stride and the way you move your hips. You did the right thing. It's GOOD to know that you're NOT invisible. Remember, it's a concealed carry, not invisible one.

Maybe when he saw you "had a gun" he scratched you off his victim list. What could be better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links