How to go about finding a good Self-Defense Lawyer?

How to go about finding a good Self-Defense Lawyer?

This is a discussion on How to go about finding a good Self-Defense Lawyer? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, I didn't shoot anybody. But I've decided to stop stalling and pre-emptively find myself a lawyer who is familiar with self-defense, concealed carry, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to go about finding a good Self-Defense Lawyer?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

Question How to go about finding a good Self-Defense Lawyer?

No, I didn't shoot anybody. But I've decided to stop stalling and pre-emptively find myself a lawyer who is familiar with self-defense, concealed carry, and use-of-force laws. That way, I'll have a lawyer who already knows me, and his number stored in my phone, ready to call if the worst ever happens.

How should I go about finding a lawyer like this? I could just run through the phone book, I suppose, and hope I get lucky. There are plenty listed here, but they don't exactly have "self-defense" listed as a specialty. It seems like there would be a better way.

If anyone has a recommendation on how to find one, or even a name of a lawyer you know in Southeast Louisiana, please post up.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

You might try finding a 2A lawyer. Gutmacher is in the SE I, believe Orlando. Not sure where all he is licensed but he may be able point you in the right direction.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I found a name of a good 2A lawyer from a CCW instructor at a local range. You might also chat with the local LEO community.

Ron
    Go to "Forum Help & Extras" in the blue banner and then cliick on "CCW Attorney Information." All of the attorneys listed have represented to us that they are criminal defense attorneys with experience and expertise in CCW matters.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Go to "Forum Help & Extras" in the blue banner and then cliick on "CCW Attorney Information." All of the attorneys listed have represented to us that they are criminal defense attorneys with experience and expertise in CCW matters.
    That was my first thought. Sadly, that list has nobody in the Louisiana/Mississippi region near me.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    That was my first thought. Sadly, that list has nobody in the Louisiana/Mississippi region near me.
    Bob, sorry about that, we are still working to try to get more attorneys listed. The problem is that we don't want to list someone unless we ar resonably confident that they are competent in CCW work.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    If you haven't already, try this link. It is a Louisiana gun forum and it seems I've read a couple of lawyer names in NO.

BayouShooter.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I would think if you were out there searching (all your searches are kept at the server level - just FYI) or even find one and establish a relationship, that it could come back to haunt you if involved in a shooting. There are enough attorneys out there, that within a few hours you should be able to retain one. I think the DA would use it against you and if a civil matter developed - it would be used against you. And posting here would just add to that pre planning mentality that you were counting on a shooting.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    I would think if you were out there searching (all your searches are kept at the server level - just FYI) or even find one and establish a relationship, that it could come back to haunt you if involved in a shooting. There are enough attorneys out there, that within a few hours you should be able to retain one. I think the DA would use it against you and if a civil matter developed - it would be used against you. And posting here would just add to that pre planning mentality that you were counting on a shooting.

I agree that it would probably be used against you. Almost Like CARRYING RELOADS, I DON T DO THAT EITHER. aL I CARRY IS STORE BOUGHT AMMO. Sorry caps got stuck
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

My CCW instructor gave me a lawyer who specializes in 2A cases and is suppose to be a real bull dog.

VIP Member
    Find out who the cops in your area use.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Go for it. You need to find a lawyer before you need one. Massad Ayoob, who has a much experience as anyone, recommends this in his LFI class. You will have too much on your mind, and be in too much of a hurry if you wait.

You need to research your lawyer; your life may depend on him.

You don't want Clarence Darrow, someone a young DA may take on just to put a notch in his gun (no pun intended).

You want a retired judge, or DA now a defense attorney. You want someone who is honest, knows the system in your area, and is respected in the community. Someone who has tried at least 20 cases in court, not just making deals.

Hopefully you can find someone that is use to defending innocent people.

A lot of lawyers work as if their clients are guilty (maybe they are?) and if they get them 7 yrs instead of 20, they look at that as a win.

He should be familiar with an affirmative defense.

Pay the 300.00 - 400.00 and spend an hour with him discussing the climate of the courts in your area.

Don't worry about the DA using this against you. Mas Ayoob "Know where the attack will come from, and have the counter in place"

It seems that everyone on here worries about a 2A lawyer as if that is the only thing one would ever be needed for. There are many other things that you will need a lawyer for such as buying a house or drawing up a will. One simply needs to be on good standing with an attorney. If you are involved in a shooting or similar the first thing you are going to need is someone to get you our on bail and help you with the questioning. Just about any lawyer can handle that. One you get through that you will have time to retain a lawyer specializing in sael-defense. You friendly lawyer that you had help your buy your house can help you get in touch with someone to handle your case. A real estate attorney is not going to try to represent you in a shooting case, he is going to refer you to someone else. If you need "Super Lawyer" he is going to be more likely to take your case if another attorney calls him than if you do from jail.

Just have the name and phone number of an attorney you can trust available. If you walk into a lawyers office and start questioning him about his 2A beliefs and how ready he is to get you out of jail he is probably going to either think you have an itchy trigger finger or just plain crazy. Remember that your trial isn't going to be the next week like on TV.

Dependant upon whether or not you are covered by LEOSA and your individual circumstances, some of the following links may be helpful as well.

Network members don't face the legal system alone!
    || Hylant Group - FOP Legal Defense Plan ||
    CHL Home

I personally subscribe to the first two listed and continuously upgrade my active list of those attorneys in my home state who have successfully defended individuals in righteous shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Attorney client confidentially

The DA will never know you've spoken with the attorney in advance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links