I know my wife knows better

This is a discussion on I know my wife knows better within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is something that has been bugging me for a while now. My wife has her carry permit. When I'm with her she doesn't carry, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know my wife knows better

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

This is something that has been bugging me for a while now. My wife has her carry permit. When I'm with her she doesn't carry, and that's fine because I'm carrying. The problem is when I'm not with her. I know she knows better. Take tonight for example.

Her: "I'm going to get my nails done"
    Me: "Did you grab your Taurus"?
    Her: "I'm just going to get my nails done, i'll be fine"

After having similar exchanges about 500 times I got flustered finally and blurt out "I give up". I am so frustrated with her, because she will carry sometimes, like if she's going to the store by herself with the kids or something (mostly after I remind her), but still has that "everyone in the world is staring at me and knows I have a gun jitters". So when she goes out with people she knows like tonight, she won't carry a gun even if I remind her, like its not important. She is more concerned about being made I guess then her safety.

I've explained to her "Just because you're going to do XYZ thing doesn't mean you are safe, you aren't safe anywhere". She knows this, yet still neglects to carry. She is small and can be overpowered...

I don't know what to do. I don't want to see something happen to her.

Help...

If she doesnt feel the need or want to carry , there isnt much you can do about it.

"she will carry sometimes, like if she's going to the store by herself with the kids or something "

Sounds like she realizes the need to protect the kids at all times. Have you brought up doing that includes making sure she comes home safe every night, not just when the kids are with her. They need her to be there, period. You've probably already said this, but the more she carries the less she'll get the jitters.

This is what is confusing. She is the one that went down and got her carry permit on her own. I know she takes SD seriously, but it's almost like its too much trouble for her.

Perhaps she would prefer to carry someting smaller that is easier to conceal like a Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT.

Just my $.02.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

Quote Originally Posted by johnstuf View Post
    Perhaps she would prefer to carry someting smaller that is easier to conceal like a Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT.

Just my $.02.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf
    I have all kinds of guns she could carry. I have a P3AT, but she still won't take it. It has nothing to do with the gun. I really think it's simply not a priority to her.

I have the same IDENTICAL problem with my better half.
    To go even further, at home I will leave a gun or two out for her and she forgets to put them away or to lock the safe when leaving the house (I'm already gone).
    We talked about it and she said, "Well, just put the guns in the safe when I leave and lock it up."

I'm confused myself as what to do.

I guess I can only lead her to doing the correct thing...carry all the time...or just let it go and not worry about it.
    We all make our own bed to sleep in...Pro2A, I share your frustration.

Guess what...(most) women don't think like men...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

As Al Bundy would say.

Women, can't live with them................
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

The sad truth of it is, it frequently takes a huge, scary event for people to realize that bad things really can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

I hope that your wife gets the crap scared out of her, without any harm coming to her, so that she might "see the light" and start carrying.

If I were a less honest man, I might suggest you hire a friend to speed this process up a bit.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Suppose you were "Just going to church" in Knoxville, TN a few months ago.
    At a certain church that morning, you would have seen several people gunned down in cold blood. No rhyme or reason, just some nutjob off his rocker.

That is a good reason to be carrying everywhere you possibly can.

And now, the biggest church in the region is holding CCW classes not one day but, several different days to ensure that everyone who wants to be certified, is certified.

Gibber out

VIP Member
    I've been married almost 37 years... trust me, just be glad she carries at all!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Go with her next time she decides she doesn't need to carry. I would.

VIP Member
    I understand how you feel. My wife has her permit, but doesn't carry. She is prohitited from carrying at work, but won't even carry and leave it in her car. Just last month one of the hospital security (unarmed) was jumped and beaten on the hospital grounds. I talked until I was blue in the face, but it has done no good. I no longer say anything about it. As the old saying goes: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I don't know what to do. I don't want to see something happen to her.

Help...
    Just a suggestion....
    Let her know you have decided to take out an insurance policy on her or, if you already have one, that you are increasing greatly the amount of the policy. Let her know that you will be making sure that all incidents in which the use of a carry weapon would have been of help will be covered in the policy.
    It might get her to think a little more about how important you think it is.
    Like I said, just a suggestion.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Ron
    Well, at least your wife got her permit and will carry some of the time. Although my wife usually asks if I have my gun when we go out, I can't come close to even getting her to the range to shoot let alone getting her permit.

I suppose, at times, we need to be thankful for the little things.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links