My little girl is asking alot of questions....

This is a discussion on My little girl is asking alot of questions.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never had any problem with it. If they're old enough to shoot, they're old enough to know that not everybody likes guns, that some ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My little girl is asking alot of questions....

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I never had any problem with it. If they're old enough to shoot, they're old enough to know that not everybody likes guns, that some people are scared of them, and it's best not to talk about it.

My ex-fiance had a (then) five-year old who knew I carried. He asked me why I didn't want people to know. I told him it's a secret and that if I need it, it needs to be a surprise.

Over the course of the three years I was a dad to him, he never mentioned the pistol. I still see him on occasion, and never mentions it unless I bring it up first.

As well, I taught him quite a bit of martial arts, every day for three years. He's used it to successfully defend himself from gangs of kids a couple, few years older than he, but he doesn't talk about it except with me.

Children know the value of secrets, and of surprise. Kids can keep secrets better than most give them credit for. The main thing is to not let it be a big deal - then they won't feel the need to break the silence.

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    My 10 yr old has gone with me to the range, she has shot a 22 bolt action (nice groups at 15yds) and lately she's noticed that I'm carrying....She likes to jump on me (Ah ha!) when I come home, yes, I eat it up.....and then one time she banged her head on a 226 when she grabbed me from behind...she's just likes to talk and I don't want her to slip at school (NYS) and say, "My dad let's me shoot guns!", innocently, ya know?
    Frist off, good job Dad by teaching the early and spending time with you girl. A healthy relationship with Dad will be with her all her life. Keep up the good work.

I told my girls when we first started shooting that the schools would not understand and they don't talk about Daddy's guns. EVER! In fact when they went back to school on year I reminded them NOT to put shooting as one of their activities on their "What I did with my summer." report.

My younger daughter was 8 when we were in line at Dick's Sporting Goods and she banged into me for a hug. She smashed right into my carry piece on my hip and we were in line surrounded by the . To her credit she did not say a thing. I made a big deal about how proud I was of here when we got back to the car. They know that this is our family secret.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

My daughter knows not to advertise my cc (even to my wife).

However, I volunteer with a fairly large youth shooting programs- so it is not exactly a family secret that we enjoy shooting. Since roughly 1/3 - 1/2 of the students at my daughters school have been in the program, to me it is kind of like being a little league coach because you like baseball.

I have 4 kids ages 18,15,4,2 they know I carry (maybe not the 2yo) and they were raised with it. The 4 yo thinks everybody does and he doesnt even ask or talk about it anymore.He doesnt think anymore of it then me carring a cell phone.I do tell him when he asked about it that its for the bad guys but its our secret.That seemed to work for me.

My daughter was 8 when I started her off with a Cricket rifle, & she was about 10 when she first found out that I carry (don't ask me how she didn't discover it sooner). Long story short, a doped up jerk in a car convinced himself that I had gotten in his way & waved a BIG black pistol at me while my dd was in the truck with me. I told her to get down (she did), I dove for the side of the road, took up a defensive position & had my Sig out of the holster & over the open door before you could say "Mississippi". Thankfully, the fool just kept going & I didn't have to light him up. When we got home, I explained to her that I carry because a situation like that can happen anywhere at any time without notice & I have a right and responsibility to protect her, her mom and myself from that kind of person who is all too common in society. And, that it is important we keep the fact that I carry to ourselves because if someone like the bad man in the car already knew that I have a gun, he wouldn't give me the chance to protect myself or my family. She was concerned with the legality of my carrying, so I showed her my permit, issued by the Sheriff's department, with the Sheriff's name on it as well as listing the descriptions of my carry guns. She seemed to accept it all at face value and since then I've taken her with me when I go to the Sheriff's station to renew. I'm pretty sure that she has done well with her knowledge, but yeah, I kinda wonder sometimes. Just a couple of weeks ago, we were working in the yard (we live in the middle of a very rural cornfield) & she says, in a rather subdued tone "Dad, yer ......thing is sticking out". I about died & looked down expecting my zipper to be down (thankfully, it wasn't, LOL) & she says "No, your ummmm....." & points to my gun. I told her that it wasn't a problem here and thanked her anyway for being discrete about telling me. She has since figured out what all of the diplomas on my den wall are about & I'm sure that she realizes the gist of the whole situation.

My 7 year old knows I carry and knows it's no ones business but ours. Now the other day he had our neighbors daughter that is the same age and in his class at school. We had 10 watermelons that were harvested too early and needed disposal, so I decided to shoot them infront of them both. My son understands gun safety but I'm not so sure about his little lady friend. We discussed gun safety and the damage a gun can do and watching the watermelons explode was a great demonstration to enforce the education. She now knows that if she sees a gun in anyones house laying around to tell an adult and get away from it. Also that there are no second chances if a mistake is made with a gun. That being said, she does not know that I carry that same gun every day. My son does though and from the way she reacted I'm sure my son has never told her. That made me impressed with him. When he was 3 he found my sisters handgun in her travel trailer while visiting us. He did everything just like we taught him and it scared the snot out of my sister. Since she has grandchildren that was a good thing. I often mention when he found the gun to him and praise him to reinforce his actions.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Great Approach!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    First, good for you for teaching your kid(s) about gun safety and handling skills early in life.

Second, I'd suggest taking a "family secret" approach. Explain to your daughter why you don't want the world to know you carry, and put it in terms she'll understand. Convince her that it's a family secret - just like "private parts", etc...
    There's no 100% sure-fire way to guarantee she won't tell her friends, but that's probably your best chance.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Good Advice Sir!!!

My sons (5 and 8) both know Daddy keeps guns in a safe in the house and he has a gun when we go out. It's a family secret, and they love that I trust them with the knowledge. They have never let it out either. Massad Ayoob is adamant that you let your kids know about guns at an early age. I unloaded my pistol (double checked) and let them handle it so they know what it felt like, saw how it works etc. They understand it's not to be feared but always respected and handled properly, never pointed at any person, etc. Ayoob took his daughter to a range and shot a can of tomato soup to demonstrate what the gun does...she got it.

Anyhow, it is almost a non-issue with our family, and as soon as they get old enough, Daddy and the boys are going shooting together.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    I don't want her to slip at school (NYS) and say, "My dad let's me shoot guns!", innocently, ya know?
    Pretty sad that we live in a world where this is even a concern, that it would be thought of as a slip up. A world were it is normal for daddy to wears mommy's old dress's when his new husband comes home and they smoke some of his medical marijuana. But God forbid that a sane rational man teach his child safe gun handling. Personally I figure that folks that have a problem with that can kiss off.

Still I do get that we don't want it to be common knowledge that we carry. A discussion about why you carry and that if the BG over heard from someone that you carried it would take away the surprise and make it harder for you to protect her and the family should about cover it
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Family secret here also. If you ask my kids (daughter=10, son=5) why Dad carries, they will tell you that it is to protect them.

When my son ran into my waist, and .45, in Walgreens several months ago, he bonked his head. I heard the loud 5 year-old voice say 'Dad, I hit my head on your (prolific loud coughing by me) gun', luckily nobody heard!

In Best Buy several years ago, looking at a plasma TV. Sales guy gave me the you-can-take-this-now speech. I replied 'Sorry, but my wife would kill me'. Daughter says 'Don't worry, Dad, you have your gun with you!'.

I love being a parent!

Jamie

My kids would think it was strange if dad wasn't pack'in!! I taught them proper gun safety and demonstrated what a firearm is capable of, since they were old enough to hold a BB gun!! It is the perfect time to start instilling good habits within them!! Both of my children are safer with firearms than most adults I know!! Just explain to her that daddy carrying is a family secret!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie B View Post
    In Best Buy several years ago, looking at a plasma TV. Sales guy gave me the you-can-take-this-now speech. I replied 'Sorry, but my wife would kill me'. Daughter says 'Don't worry, Dad, you have your gun with you!'.
    Thats hilarious I can see the look on the sales mans face

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    My kids would think it was strange if dad wasn't pack'in!! I taught them proper gun safety and demonstrated what a firearm is capable of, since they were old enough to hold a BB gun!! It is the perfect time to start instilling good habits within them!! Both of my children are safer with firearms than most adults I know!! Just explain to her that daddy carrying is a family secret!

NCH
    Great reminder taught my kids to shoot with a BB gun at about 8 yr. and gave them .22 at around 10 yr. The more normal part of their life it is the less likely it is to be a topic of conversation. If they like shooting and hanging out with dad than it is an additional lever motivator for them to be discrete. Make their shooting conditional that they be discreet not disclose family secrets
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I guess keeping things a secret is good for an individual (and I believe that cc requires it)- but it is sad to be living in an area that owning a rifle needs to be a kept secret.

I much prefer to live somewhere that rather than a secret, it is simply assumed everyone is armed - the only secret would be being the one person who is not.

It could be worse,the questions could be about "DATING" "BOYS" "FEMALE PROBLEMS"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links