Latest puke article from WI

This is a discussion on Latest puke article from WI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Editorial: Weapons bill still a bad idea From the Journal Sentinel Posted: Dec. 18, 2005 A lengthy bill to permit residents to carry concealed weapons ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest puke article from WI

Latest puke article from WI

Editorial: Weapons bill still a bad idea
    From the Journal Sentinel
    Posted: Dec. 18, 2005

A lengthy bill to permit residents to carry concealed weapons got more wrinkles by the time it emerged from the Assembly the other day. Sponsors added concessions in an attempt to peel away Democratic opposition and to make the measure veto-proof.

Trouble is, the bill's substance remains the same. More people will be packing heat on the streets - which is likely to cause more harm than good.

The Senate, which approved an earlier version of the bill by a wide margin, is expected to repeat that performance and back the Assembly version. Then it goes to Gov. Jim Doyle, who, thank goodness, has promised to veto the measure, just as he did to a concealed-carry bill that came his way in 2003. The dictates of law and order demand that the Legislature uphold the veto.

The gun lobby's muscle, not popular support, explains why the idea of concealed carry has gotten as far as it has here and elsewhere. Polls in Wisconsin and around the nation have shown majority opposition to the idea. The Missouri Legislature passed concealed carry even though the people had voted it down in a referendum. The Wisconsin Legislature should heed the silent majority, not a clamorous interest group.

Three concessions - lowering the amount of alcohol a gun wielder can consume, widening school safety zones where guns are barred and requiring refresher training courses every five years - did ameliorate a bad bill, but it remains bad. A fourth concession - making the filing of a false application for a concealed-carry license a felony, rather than a misdemeanor - will likely have little deterrence, which is assured more by the certainty of punishment than its severity.

Backers of concealed carry exaggerate its potential for good and dismiss its potential for harm. They don't talk about an incident earlier this year in Tyler, Texas, where, sure enough, a concealed-carry license holder did try to stop a husband who shot his wife outside the courthouse. The good Samaritan was himself shot to death. Nor do they dwell on the 41 arrests of concealed-carry license holders for murder and attempted murder in Texas between 1996 and 2001.

The record since 2001? Nobody knows. The initial study prompted Texas to put information about license holders off limits. Such secrecy would apply in Wisconsin, too - another powerful reason to shoot down this bill. The public deserves to have access to information to determine how well a concealed-carry law is working.
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/editori...c05/378356.asp

Well, I guess all I can do is

unless I met the writer of this article...
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Conceal This.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    They never change their tune. ...........Enven though many states have sucsessful CCW on the books. Suprised the writer didn't mention the streets running with blood too.

Trouble is, the bill's substance remains the same. More people will be packing heat on the streets - which is likely to cause more harm than good.
    No facts in the authors missive. Just feeeeeeeeeling.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

Senior Moderator
    Feeeeeeeeelings are liberals' "facts".

Matt

The person who wrote that article is absolutly stupid! Some one should inform WI Govenor (Doyle) that Missouri's previous Govener that tried to veto the CCW bill is no longer the Govener!

What the hell happened to the veto proof vote total?

Ti.

Feelings just get in the way of good, sound judgement. Just ask me about some ex's
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Assistant Administrator
    Same old - same old. Boring!! What a load of horse manure rhetoric.

But also sickeningly predictable and ill informed. And hey -
    Nor do they dwell on the 41 arrests of concealed-carry license holders for murder and attempted murder in Texas between 1996 and 2001.
    What's the skinny on this then - proof? Is this an actual fact? News to me.

Looking overall at CCW, and the now considerable numbers - you cannot badmouth the whole deal simply because of a few bad apples - you have to look at the majority. No system is infallible - neither is the human race.

What about ''for the greater good'' - but they do not think of that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    BTW the writer fails to mention how many convictions. Charges may be brought with very little to go on. Convictions are what matters.

They failed to mention the blood in the streets. In 95 when VA was getting shall-issue I read that editorial in the local bird cage fodder. I knew the guy who wrote it and asked him about it. We had a spirited discussion and he never spoke to me again. So much for liberal tolerance.

-Scott-

Assistant Administrator
    liberal tolerance
    Oxymoron, n'est pas!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    BTW the writer fails to mention how many convictions. Charges may be brought with very little to go on. Convictions are what matters.

-Scott-
    You see, they are gambling that people will make the connection Charges=Convictions. There was something similar here in Fl when the Expansion of the Castle Doctrine bill was being considered. Some Lib prosecutor said it was unnecessary and that nobody in the State of Florida had ever been charged and convicted with self-defense. Now, I saw that on the TV News and I went WHAT?!?! And I got doubly shocked when the reporter didn't even challenge this idiot's statement. For the next couple of day, that was the soundbite used against the bill until, I am guessing, somebody pointed to these morons that Self-Defense is not a crime..... at least not yet in this state.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Let's see here... so they're telling me that in five years, 41 people with CCW licenses in Texas were charged with murder.

Okay consider that in my home county alone there's 3,500 permit holders, and we have what we like to call statistical insignificance.

Besides we all know it's those guns that make otherwise saintly and virtuous people turn evil and violent. Yep that's it.

I also don't care for the way they shamed Mark Wilson. ******** should be hung for mocking the memory of a man who was willing to save a child's life at the expense of his own.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Let's see here... so they're telling me that in five years, 41 people with CCW licenses in Texas were charged with murder.

Okay consider that in my home county alone there's 3,500 permit holders, and we have what we like to call statistical insignificance.
    Euc, Glad you said that, saved a lot of wear and tear on my typing fingers!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    The person who wrote that article is absolutly stupid! Some one should inform WI Govenor (Doyle) that Missouri's previous Govener that tried to veto the CCW bill is no longer the Govener!

What the hell happened to the veto proof vote total?

Ti.
    We are vetoproof in the state Senate and Assembly - in the Senate we are 3 votes over that needed for an override. However the same cannot be said for the Assembly - we have 66 votes in favor, the exact amount needed for an override. The problem is that was the exact same situation we had last time and one of the original sponsors of the bill, Gary Sherman - and I shall forever rue his name, overturned his own vote and sided with the idiot of a Gov. we have so his veto stood.

Now we have 60 republicans in favor and 6 dems. Of the six dems there are two that have not emphatically stated they will vote for the override so our 'veto-proof' majority is tenuous and depends entirely on the dems to not overturn their own votes, again. Doyle will pull out all of the stops and put tremendous pressure on them to get one of them to turn. The good news is that Doyle is weak and is viewed as likely to lose next November's election so any promises or threats he makes to the dems are somewhat holllow.

I'm cautiously pessimistic - but holding out hope!!!
    You do your thing, I'll do mine...

NRA Lifer, RSO, Instructor

"Nor do they dwell on the 41 arrests of concealed-carry license holders for murder and attempted murder in Texas between 1996 and 2001."

Probably all later ruled self-defence.

"Nor do they dwell on the 41 arrests of concealed-carry license holders for murder and attempted murder in Texas between 1996 and 2001."
    I wonder how that compares with the arrest rate for the same crimes in the general population, or the 'Bad shoot' rate for the police....

If it's lower in the CCW population then you could say that having a CCW makes you less of a risk.
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links