CCW Confusion

This is a discussion on CCW Confusion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my CCW in Jefferson County Colorado and have noticed something rather interesting with the permit itself. The design is terrible. It says "SHERIFF" ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW Confusion

CCW Confusion

I got my CCW in Jefferson County Colorado and have noticed something rather interesting with the permit itself.

The design is terrible. It says "SHERIFF" in big letters across the top, and "Concealed Weapons Permit" across the bottom in smaller letters. Interestingly, two times now, police officers have mistaken it for a police ID, with one officer even saying, "Oh! You're a deputy!" and in the other case, the officer just letting me take off without even running my ID or anything (it didn't occur to me until later that that was the reason why I was sent on my way).

This permit looks like a police ID.

Any other experiences along these lines here? Also, I wonder if I should be a "good citizen" and let the Jeffco Sheriff's office know about my experiences and the confusion with the CCW looking so much like a Deputy's ID card.

Opinions?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

Why do you think that local law enforcement officers don't know what a locally issued CCW permit and a LEO ID look like? I doubt that they actually look the same. JMHO. YMMV.

Ken

VIP Member
    What was it Bill Clinton said? "Don't ask, don't tell."
    Sice it says "Conceal Weapons Permit" on the bottom, it sounds like it just a matter of a poorly designed document. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried about it, I would check it against another permit, if you know someone else with one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Why do you think that local law enforcement officers don't know what a locally issued CCW permit and a LEO ID look like? I doubt that they actually look the same. JMHO. YMMV.

Ken
    Because officers have thought I was a deputy when I showed it to them?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

VIP Member
    I'm sure the Sheriff's Department knows what the card looks like, if other officers don't, that's their problem.

I don't think you have a responsibility to say anything.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

theres a post up at the PD's here with a picture of waht a ky ccdw license looks like, if they choose not to study the design then its not my problem. looks like you have a good ace in the hole there
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    theres a post up at the PD's here with a picture of waht a ky ccdw license looks like, if they choose not to study the design then its not my problem. looks like you have a good ace in the hole there
    I can't look at it as an ace in the hole. I think "impersonating a police officer" is one of those things that rapidly brings the full fury and wrath of the police down on people...as well it should, their job depends on keeping the public trust... when people impersonate and, say, pull over women in fake police cars in order to assault them (which has happened here recently) it completely undermines the authority and trust in the police.

Administrator
    How long has Co had CCW permits? The first thought that comes to my mind is that the S.O. is just using a ready made design and instead of it saying "Deputy Sheriff" across the bottom it says CWP. Or perhaps you were one of the first ones to get a permit, and the design has since been changed?

No matter, it lazy and stupid to have a document that looks so much like an LEO ID card. It needs to be changed, but I'm sure the sheriff is already aware of the blunder; Why it hasnt been changed is beyond me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You're not impersonating an officer if thats the permit that was issued to you. Impersonating an officer also requires you to act in the capacity of an officer as another poster stated. You would need to dress in a uniform or try to make your car look like a police car or try to arrest someone. I wouldn't worry about it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Administrator
    I also wouldnt worry to much about the impersonation thing, but it might worry me what somebody else could do with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I also wouldnt worry to much about the impersonation thing, but it might worry me what somebody else could do with it.
    That's what I meant. Not that I would get nailed because a cop got confused... but that someone could take advantage of the permit to pass themselves off as a cop.

Here is a copy.

(you have a funny looking nose raevan )
    added by qks
    Attached Images

Administrator
    I would think that it would be far better if the Sheriff's Office and CWP lines were reversed... easy and problem solved.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think that the design must be up to the individual counties here in Colo; mine looks nothing like the one described or the one in the picture. The first two lines of mine at the top are:

Montrose County Sheriff's Office
    Concealed Handgun Permit

I don't think anyone would mistake mine for a LEO ID
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    I think that the design must be up to the individual counties here in Colo; mine looks nothing like the one described or the one in the picture.
    Thats a huge mistake IMO, I think there needs to be a statewide standard.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links