A rather odd experience with a LEO

This is a discussion on A rather odd experience with a LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now I respect our LEOs...so no offense to any on here... But... I went to Wally World today, and while roaming around and stopping at ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A rather odd experience with a LEO

Now I respect our LEOs...so no offense to any on here...

But...

I went to Wally World today, and while roaming around and stopping at the magazine rack, an uniformed but off-duty Miami Dade LEO (female) comes strolling by. She's pushing a cart, doing some shopping and I took a quick gander at her firearm to see what she had.
    She stopped right next to me, and then backed up and almost stepped on me. I said excuse me, but no reply, and didn't want to reach out and touch her to let her know I was there, so I just sucked in my gut and hoped I didn't get an impromptu lapdance. She stepped to the side and bumped into my cart. As she walked off I heard something hit the ground and looked around. I see a bullet go rolling around. So I reach down to grab it, thinking at first somehow I dropped it, but realized it wasn't a .40 s&w. I grabbed my cart and walked towards her to ask her. And as I approached her I glanced into my cart to see a magazine (not the reading kind) in the bottom. I couldn't believe it. I looked at her sidearm, and sure enough...the magazine was missing.
    So I called out to her, and she didn't respond. I finally tapped her on the shoulder after repeating "Excuse me, Officer" for about a minute. She looked over her shoulder, and kept walking. I said "Can I talk to you for a second? Its rather important", she replied with, "I'm off-duty and not in my jurisdiction."
    Now with that response, I dropped the tact and just said it outloud... "Well, you might want your magazine and rounds back that just fell out of your gun... unless you're too off duty to do that!"
    She glanced back at me, glanced at her belt and finally turned around. She asked where I found it, and I told her by the magazine rack. In the middle of the aisle she takes it from me and counts the rounds... then gives me a nasty look as I hand her the last one.
    I asked her why it took so many tries to get her attention and how she couldn't feel that she walked right into me at the magazine rack.
    Her response will stick with me for a long time. "I'm not on duty...I've worked a long day, I just don't care"
    So I took a quick look at her badge to get the number and name, and told her to have a nice day.
    Now for the slightly offensive part... How can a LEO have the SA of a dead farm animal and be considered reliable? This lady brought back flashbacks of that video of the arrest where the female has a ND right next to the perps head.

(also...couldn't really figure out where to post this...so move it if need be)

Bad attitudes are everywhere. I'd certainly be calling her Sergeant.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Unfortunately, people are human and some people get into public "service" for a job. That's no excuse for her general disrespect as a human, LEO or not. I would expect my trashman or a CEO or the mayor to have a modicum of respect for others whom may have had a worse day than her. Jurisdiction or not, bad day or not as the saying goes treat others as you wish to be treated. Like you (it appears she got better than she gave) I would have been nice but her dept. would know what a piece of work they have advertising for them. This reminds me of a post I made in a earlier thread not related to LEO but people driving. I expect our public officials to set the example but I see some and I repeat some LE driving just like the rest of maniacs on the road they have a license to endanger others even when there is now circumstances which warrant it. Again, humans being human. The percentages generally workout the same; LE, CCW, politician (okay bad example), preachers, teachers, etc.. Don't let the position fool you. Initially, all get the benefit of the doubt but only closer scrutiny tells the tale.

Just my 2 centavos!!
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

In this case, she needs to be reported. She was lucky it was you that found the mag she dropped and not kid or other shopper who may have freaked out. She might have had a long day, but's no excuse to be an [Edited].
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 3rd, 2008 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

I agree with everything stated above!

I would call RIGHT NOW.

With her beginning attitude, I would have kept the magazine and called her superiors and perhaps, questioned her apparent incompetence with a sidearm.

I'd return her mag to the station with a letter stating the if the officer cannot be trained to better control her weapon(s), perhaps they would prefer a call to the local newspaper asking for better training of weapons control for the entire local PD...

I'm sure someone would talk to her!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

She doesn't care??? Report her, now. She might be the one that gets called to someone's distress. Will she care then? I doubt she will protect anyone, even herself.

Just think what would have happened in the rare event she came across a felony in progress. Off duty or not, her jurisdiction or not, she has responsibilities. Heaven forbid she has to draw. I don't know the weapon she carried, but many won't shoot, even the round in the chamber, without a magazine inserted. Talk about liability now! She should have been thanking you profusely. Forget what I said about calling her Sergeant. Put it in writing to the Chief of Police. If it ain't in writing, it didn't happen.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Personally, she needs to find another job, something that fits her personality, like collections ( apologies to anyone in the field)

If she acts like that after work, or on the way to work then she acts like that at work. She needs to shed the uniform when she's off duty if she doesn't want to public to talk to her. She should also wear a sign saying " Beware I have a bad attitude , do not approach"

If your in uniform then your on duty..simple as that...

I see some and I repeat some LE driving just like the rest of maniacs on the road
    That was you..sorry I was on my way to Wal-Mart to pick up my wife.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    That was you..sorry I was on my way to Wal-Mart to pick up my wife.
    I knew there had to be a good reason. I tried to cut you off but you were going too fast
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

In a way, I'd hate to make a stink over it, but I have to agree with retsupt & Husker on this one.

VIP Member
    If You droped Your Mag and she found it. I wonder what she would say if You let her know You did not care.Would You get locked up and lose Your permit. She must be the bad apple.

wow, that is amazing. Sounds like you handled well.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    With her beginning attitude, I would have kept the magazine and called her superiors and perhaps, questioned her apparent incompetence with a sidearm.

I'd return her mag to the station with a letter stating the if the officer cannot be trained to better control her weapon(s), perhaps they would prefer a call to the local newspaper asking for better training of weapons control for the entire local PD...-
    I like it !

I am assuming it was a Glock?
    If she didn't want to pay any attention when politely approached, I think I would have just gained an extra magazine!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 3rd, 2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

VIP Member
    Yup... I think she seriously needs a career change!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links