Concealed Carry in USVI?

Concealed Carry in USVI?

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry in USVI? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; O.K guys. I found the other older thread about CCW in the USVI. I did some digging through their laws, and this is what I ...

Thread: Concealed Carry in USVI?

Concealed Carry in USVI?

O.K guys. I found the other older thread about CCW in the USVI. I did some digging through their laws, and this is what I found:

USVI CODE
    Title 23: Internal Security and Public Order
    Chapter 5: Control of Firearms and Ammunition

§ 460. Reciprocal recognition of out-of-state licenses

Unless otherwise prohibited by any state or federal law, a license to possess or to carry firearms, issued by any competent authority of any state or territory of the United States and in accordance with the same or similar requirements as set forth in the preceding sections pertaining to the applicant's eligibility, and the establishment of his reputation through fingerprints, shall be recognized as valid within the Virgin Islands and shall allow the holder thereof to exercise all of the privileges in connection therewith, while said licensee is a visitor or transient resident herein.

Any marshal, sheriff, constable, police or other peace officer, of any state or territory of the United States, whose duty it is to serve process and make arrests, may, while travelling through or in the Virgin Islands on official business, carry such weapons or equipment as has been authorized by his appointing authority.

—Added July 11, 1968, No. 2279, § 1, Sess. L. 1968, Pt. II, p. 209.

§ 470. Report of firearms purchased outside or brought into the Virgin Islands; fees; penalty

(a) Any person other than a licensed dealer, who purchases or otherwise obtains any firearms or ammunition from any source within or outside of the Virgin Islands shall report such fact in writing or in person to the Commissioner immediately after receipt of the firearm or ammunition, furnishing a complete description of the firearm or ammunition purchased or otherwise obtained. He shall also furnish his own name, address, date of birth and occupation.
    (b) Any person upon entering the Virgin Islands bringing with him any firearm or ammunition shall report in writing or in person to the Commissioner immediately of his arrival, furnishing a complete description of the firearm or ammunition brought into the Virgin Islands. He shall also furnish his own name, address, date of birth and occupation.

(c) In the event the person reporting under subsections (a) or (b), above, is qualified for a license to carry firearms in the Virgin Islands, the Commissioner shall issue the same, upon payment of the proper fee, and the firearm shall be registered in the Weapons Register provided for in section 469 of this chapter. If the person is not qualified for a license then the Commissioner shall retain the firearms or ammunition for disposition in accordance with the provisions of section 475 of this chapter, but no prosecution shall lie against the person for unlawful possession of the firearm or ammunition.

(d) Any person who fails to comply with this section shall be punished as provided in section 484 of this chapter.

—Added July 11, 1968, No. 2279, § 1, Sess. L. 1968, Pt. II, p. 209; amended Sept. 4, 1973, No. 3473, § 1, Sess. L. 1973, p. 240; Nov. 22, 1996, No. 6123, §§ 1, 2, Sess. L. 1996, pp. 120, 121.

So my take on this is they WILL honor your CCW provided that you have a NCIS background check, have been fingerprinted, and trained (the requirements for most CCW's in CONUS anyway). The only obligation would be to register the weapon with the authorities before, or upon, arrival.

There are some other sections that list who is AUTHORIZED to CCW, but they do not say ONLY THOSE WHO ARE LISTED, or NO ONE ELSE MAY, so they do not exclude other categories.

What do you think? Thoughts? Anyone LIVE in the V.I that can chime in???

Thanks in advance.

Hoverman, I lived on St.John for 3 1/2 yrs a while back. Have traveled throughout the Caribbean often know the USVI, BVI and the West Indies well. Are you thinking on a vacation? or sailing through? Maybe going down to work? The best advice I can give is contact the proper authorities before you go. I would be very surprised if they approved your desire to CC on the Islands. The gov. is 10X worse than state side in efficiency, functionality, communication -- confusion abounds. If approved expect most of the local LEO's & park rangers (most of St.John is national park) not to know the law in this area. Getting it sorted out will be very time consuming if there ever was a issue. Just my HO.

Thanks for the reply. What about just traveling down on vacaation and not CCW, but having it in your room/house??

Links