Kentucky Carry

Kentucky Carry

This is a discussion on Kentucky Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are planning on a trip to Dale hollow park for a week. We both have are HCP permits here in TN. Are there any ...

Thread: Kentucky Carry

Kentucky Carry

We are planning on a trip to Dale hollow park for a week. We both have are HCP permits here in TN. Are there any special concerns or places I can research for more answers. Do I have to inform LEO of my carry status? Thanks for any replies.

Effective, July 15, 1998, Kentucky recognizes valid carry concealed weapons licenses issued by other states and, subject to the provisions of Kentucky law, a person holding a valid license from another state may carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky.

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

Police station or sheriff's office.
    Detention facility, prison or jail.
    Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
    County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
    Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
    General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
    Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
    Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
    Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
    Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.
    In addition to the above restrictions, units of state and local governments and postsecondary education facilities (colleges, universities, technical schools and community colleges) have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them (KRS 237.115). You should check with units of state and local government as well as postsecondary education facilities prior to carrying a concealed weapon on their property.

Also, KRS 527.070 prohibits unlawful possession (whether carried openly or concealed) of a weapon on school property, except for certain specified exceptions. KRS 244.125 prohibits loaded firearms (concealed or otherwise) in places where alcohol is sold by the drink, except for certain specified exceptions.

In addition, Kentucky law does not prohibit the owners of private premises from excluding persons carrying firearms. Failure to vacate private premises when asked to do so could result in a criminal trespass charge.

Welcome to KY!
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

KENTUCKY is very gun friendly. Welcome to the Bluegrass State.

Do I have to inform LEO of my carry status?
    Not required, but some think it wise to inform LEO if carrying.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk249 View Post
    We are planning on a trip to Dale hollow park for a week. We both have are HCP permits here in TN. Are there any special concerns or places I can research for more answers. Do I have to inform LEO of my carry status? Thanks for any replies.
    I went to Kentucky in May and I was presently surprised about how laxed their gun laws are. There is no duty to inform, car transport is as easy as pie. You can carry (sterile) loaded as long as its clearly visible or in the glovebox. If you are an OCer, Kentucky is also one of the OCDO, "gold star" carry states. When I was there I encountered many LEO's who obviously noticed my sidearm, but did not stop me, nor care about my carry choice. Kentucky is a great gun state, enjoy your stay!

I moved from Illinois( a very lousy state for gun owners)to Kentucky. God bless Kentucky!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    I moved from Illinois( a very lousy state for gun owners)to Kentucky. God bless Kentucky!!

AMEN
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I had one encounter with a LEO at a motel when traveling through KY two years ago. He was very calm and cool about me being armed...he even acknowledged my good taste in firearms (Kimber Ultra).
    Now he was only one instance of a KY LE contact, but he left me with a good memory of the incident.

Stay armed...go KY...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Exclamation

To heck with Dale Hollow Knob Creek is this comming weeked!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

You do not have to notify LEO of carrying, unless asked. However Kentucky now has a minimum caliber requirement of 9mm, no mouse guns are allowed within the Commonwealth.

Okay, just kidding about that last part :)

"Stay armed...go KY..."

Remember that last part on 10/25/08 when UK plays the Gators!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    God Bless YOU for moving to the USA....
    Kentucky is about as good as it gets when it comes to carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    To heck with Dale Hollow Knob Creek is this comming weeked!!
    Exactly. I am transporting my FA and Suppressor there and want something to protect not just me, but my little friends. Will be there Friday!!!
    Talk's cheap and I ain't buying any.

Sponsored Links