Allergic reaction to IWB Grip????

This is a discussion on Allergic reaction to IWB Grip???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You won't believe this, I seem to have had an altergic reaction to a grip! I have a bright red, raised welt that's an oval ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergic reaction to IWB Grip????

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Allergic reaction to IWB Grip????

You won't believe this, I seem to have had an altergic reaction to a grip!

I have a bright red, raised welt that's an oval shape about 3-4 inches wide and 5-6 inches tall on my side where the grip of my SP101 is against my side. It itches like crazy and is tender as all get out!

I wore my SP101 with Pachmyr Compaq grips for two long days when I was working a lot. I wore it IWB with a T-shirt between me and the gun. I sweated hard and had the gun on from morning until late each evening for two days. At the end of the second day, when I was getting ready to take a shower I noticed the huge ugly red welt.

I don't know if it's just irritation or an actual alergic reaction of some kind. I've carried that same weapon in the same manner many times before but never for two days of hard work.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar reaction or injury from carrying? It's been a week and it's still there and as itchy as ever. I'm using a cortisone cream on it now.

And this is one thread that's definitely BETTER without pics

So, every had something similar?

2. Remove Ads

Wear a T-shirt to avoid skin contact and/or a body protector on the holster (extended piece of leather to cover gun)...

Just keep the sidearm from touching any skin directly...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I wore my SP101 with Pachmyr Compaq grips for two long days when I was working a lot. I wore it IWB with a T-shirt between me and the gun. I sweated hard and had the gun on from morning until late each evening for two days. At the end of the second day, when I was getting ready to take a shower I noticed the huge ugly red welt.
    Since you have carried this same weapon the same way in the past I doubt is an allergic reaction, unless something else has changed. Different grips, different
    cleaning solvent/lube? If everything is exactly the same I would guess the sweat caused the irritation.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Wear a T-shirt to avoid skin contact and/or a body protector on the holster (extended piece of leather to cover gun)...

Just keep the sidearm from touching any skin directly...
    Been there....done that. This was his sage advice for me and it worked! It was irritation, not an allergic reaction.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I know that I'm allergic to break free lubricant, and there's a couple other strange things that will give me a reaction. It could be that because you were sweating it brought out a reaction. When you're sweating your pores are open, and more susceptible to take in foreign chemicals.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Note that he said he had an undershirt the whole time...

I'd put my money on irritation since you worked. Rubber chafes like nothing else. Shirt or no shirt, it can still get you.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

My wife has an allergic reaction to rubber. She developed that allergy late in life. If I can ever get her to shoot and carry a gun I would have to make sure not to have rubber grips, maybe wood or some other material. It's possible that you may have an allergic reaction to rubber also. The allergy to rubber is the chemical being leached into the skin. Sweat may serve as a carrier of the chemical right through the t-shirt. I would suggest you get an allergy test done by a doctor to determine if you have allergic reaction to some chemicals. The suggestion to wear a protective leather extension between you and the gun is a good one.
    "Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."

George Washington

Administrator
    I had the same thing happen when I first started carrying my 442; and I wore a T-shirt and no direct skin contact. It went away after a few days, and I still carry the 442 with no issues.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Since its rubber I'm going to guess chaffing.

If it was an exotic or fruit wood (like Cocobolo or Pau Ferro ) I'd suggest you might be allergic to the oils in the woods.

But rubber rubs.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post

But rubber rubs.
    Isnt that what its supposed to do, it is called rubber for a reason.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not to get all gross here, but are you by chance allergic to latex condoms as well? Latex is likely an ingredient in the rubber grips that you have. Direct skin contact is not needed for an allergic reaction to latex because you were sweating, which created a medium for the chemical compounds found in latex to travel to the surface and open pores of your skin (which were especially vulnerable due to your sweating).
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    Note that he said he had an undershirt the whole time...

I'd put my money on irritation since you worked. Rubber chafes like nothing else. Shirt or no shirt, it can still get you.

Nate
    Yah, the rubber will grab the shirt, and then rub the shirt against your skin.

-john

This thread is worthless without pictures (and let's keep it that way).

+1 on the irritation from the sweaty shirt.

Let it air out, and clear up. Then give it one more try.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Latex allergies are on the rise in our country. Sensitivity increases with exposure and with the prior use of latex gloves in food service, healthcare, household use, and yes..condoms...more people are finding that they are allergic to latex. Latex comes mainly from the asian pacific areas and is harvested from rubber trees before it is processed...so it could be possible that you could have an allergic reaction to rubber if you have developed increased sensitivity to latex. Might also be friction.

If it persists, try some Over the Counter Hydrocortisone cream....should decrease the itch and relieve some of the swelling if present.

By the way...love your signature...very true words.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Administrator
    You can try scrubbing your grips really well with a strong degreasing detergent dishwashing soap and an old tooth brush - dry them off really well - and then give them a coat of spray satin polyurethane varnish.
    If the rubber is really clean then it should adhere just fine.

That might work as a decent barrier coat between you and the rubber that you're allergic to.

Not sure how long it would last but, it's a really inexpensive possible fix so it might be worth a try.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links