List your known ploys/scams

This is a discussion on List your known ploys/scams within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Scott, Thank you for your post, very eye opening to say the least. Good thread, I enjoy your thinking Chris, opens up alot of things ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: List your known ploys/scams

Scott,

Thank you for your post, very eye opening to say the least.

Good thread, I enjoy your thinking Chris, opens up alot of things that I haven't really put much thought into.

Me, I used to be trusting (naive) when I was younger but now, with people I don't know or know but don't trust, I don't let them into the house, or have a cigarrette (even if I'm smoking, if someone asks for a cigg. or a light, I look them straight in the eye and say, "Sorry, I don't smoke").

If they come over to the house, at night (dark, and we know it gets dark early in winter) I don't open the door, turn on my outside light, and converse with them through the door, tell them to come back when it's light outside.

Paranoid, no. Aware (or trying to learn how to be aware), yes. But if people/anti's/whomever wishes to call me paranoid, so be it.

Wayne

2. Remove Ads

One for the road:

Someone honks their horn and points to one of your tires to tell it's low or going flat. You pull over...you know the rest.

A couple for the house:

Knock, Knock!
    Who's there?
    XXXXXX pizza delivery...the door gets opened because someone thinks Mom or Dad ordered a pizza instead of fixing supper.

Knock Knock
    We're doing a survey on...you know the rest.

If any repair person comes to your house, 99.99% or all companies nowadays have picture ID for their employees...especially the light company, phone company, cable TV or satellite employees. Demand to see it through the peephole...if you don't have a peephole, get one.

Not to bash any religious organization, but there have been reports of BGs posing as Jehovah Witnesses...there's NO limit to what someone will use to get close to you or get their foot in the door at your home. Like P95 said, the number of ploys or scams is only limited by human imagination.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Assistant Administrator
    Funny you mention the tire thing K9 - a sorta reverse of that was this summer I was at a red light behind an SUV with a very soft rear.

As I was in with several vehicles and so not alone, I opted to quickly get out and go fwd to tell the driver - who was grateful. I did tho turn that round in my head re my reactions to same event!!!

But then I watch my mirrors at all times so would have been prepared - plus as I said, in this case several other vehicles around so not quite like a deserted scene deal.

We have to play 'em as we see 'em!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Talking Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by dpesec
    Hey, I have fun with those Phishers. I give them bogus credit card numbers. Bad addresses, and what ever else strikes my fancy. I figure if they get enough bogus stuff they might stop it.
    I know fat chance, but I'm easily entertained.
    Thanks for the idea, I did I didn't know there was a user "go to (insert 4 letter noun here)" with a password of "Eat (insert proper defication word here) and Die (insert body part here)". I gave them some real nice CC numbers Golly I wonder if there really are 20 digit card numbers.
    They had a real official looking page too, even included the report to e bay at spoof thing there. That was very entertaining.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Good thread.... I'm going a bit off topic but I think making your home less of a target helps too. I can't believe how many homes I see with no outside lights on, pitch black. I always keep the driveway and porch well lit at night, even the back entrance. I also bought a cheap wireless door chime system and put the reciever next to the bed so if any door is opened the thing beeps.

You have to watch out for the door to door church people as well, you'll have one of them preaching while the other one is trying to see what kind of TV you have! people seem to let their gaurd down when children or church is involved, so be carefull about any unexpected visitors no matter how honest they seem. I'm also suspicious of people who are "working" in the neighborhood. Someone posed as a repair person could be casing the neighborhood.

Just watch the show called "It Takes a Theif" a real eye opener...

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - true Otis. This is one reason (apart from shere utilitarian convenience) - I have two motion detector lights out back and one at front.

Those can at night be enough to make a BG think twice and go look elsewhere. One or two neighbors tho not that close, have the sodium discharge lights on poles and they also provide a low ambient light too which benefits us slightly.

Door to door - heck I am suspicious of any!! Always feel a shade sorry for some of those folks who may well be squeeky clean but - I play pretty safe. Reckon most of us do.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I know what you mean Chris, I try not to feel too sorry for turning people away, I really don't feel that anyone has the right to go door to door at strangers houses. I actually find it rude for someone I don't know to be knocking on my door, if they want to leave an ad in my mailbox or something, that's fine, if I want what they're selling, I'll call them!

I have a 120lb Chesapeake Bay Retreiver that sounds like a hell hound when anyone knocks on the door. I will onlly open it far enough that they can see I am holding back what sounds like a vicous dog that is straining to get at his next meal. It is funny to watch people back clear off the step when he cuts loose.
    Of course they don't know hes a teddy bear... or is he?
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

HEEHEE, that's funny. I am a big dog lover and think the only thing better than a gaurd dog is a trained cat riding his back working a Gatlin Gun. I grew up in a farming area and never was bothered much by strangers, which i feel was always due to the "herd" of shephards and such running around. Good work.

Some scammers got my mom a few years ago. Called her saying MOM? Mom? in a nasaly voice. They pretended to be the "son" who was in a slight car accident, and needed money for a tow. Can she pay the Tow Drivers? The fake voice was because "I" smacked my nose in the accident.

She did of course.....

How did she pay, if it was via CC then she could have contacted the card company and got her money back, she also could have tracked where the payment went and pressed charges for farud.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links