Really odd day at work CC IWB

This is a discussion on Really odd day at work CC IWB within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I was working on an in frame engine rebuild on a piece of equipment. I carry IWB and tucked. At one point when I ...

Thread: Really odd day at work CC IWB

Really odd day at work CC IWB

Yesterday I was working on an in frame engine rebuild on a piece of equipment.

I carry IWB and tucked. At one point when I was laying down changing out the main bearings ( I had been rolling around on the deck and getting up and down for the better part of 8 hours by now), I realized that not only did my magazine release get depressed, but the mag came out and was up at my collar. After working it back down to the weapon and getting it re-installed, the safety was also turned off .

My holster is a home made Cross Breed style, and I had taken measures about 8 months ago to insure that with the weapon holstered, there is no way to depress the mag release. Press as hard as you want, it will not depress. Having the weapon slightly come un-holstered (3/4") is another issue.

Glad at least my shirt did not come untucked this time. That is usually the case when performing these types of activities. Got made Friday of last week for that very reason, diagnosing the same piece of equipment. Thank god he is working on getting his CC as well.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I know what you mean. I'm a farmer and forever find myself crawling under/over/around something; working at odd positions, servicing equipment; wet w/hydraulic fluid etc. I really don't see myself carrying a large CCW during my work days, I think it would be in my way too much. I'm rarely around the public, sometimes hardly see or talk to anyone. I think my risk is pretty low and I've found that me pocket carrying a holstered LCP works good for me. If I leave my property to "go to town" or whatever, I usually ramp up to a more suitable CCW.

I'm impressed that you can work and endure your IWB without too many inconveniences.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

When I'm working on somthing, I always leave my pistol in the truck that is nearby

When I'm working in the shop i just pocket carry a 442. IWB is a pain when you have to be laying on the floor, and having to actually draw the gun may be impossible.

may need a retention strap. If you are doing that kind of work on a regular basis.

On the Farm and Ranch I find Shoulder Holsters to be a better option. You also may have to look at carrying a smaller gun.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    ...the safety was also turned off ...
    Whoa! You might want to reconsider your holster or carrying while actually rolling around on the deck.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Didn't I just give you the j-frame lecture?

To each his own though.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Well, I don't perform an in frame rebuild on engines on a regular basis, so this was one of those "Huh, who knew" days.

I spent another 12 hours working on it yesterday without incident.

Hmmm, retention strap on an tucked IWB...probably not a good idea.

After the mag incident I thought of just putting the girl in my truck, but Murphy is always lurking in the shadows.

Different holster...It is extremely difficult to find a decent holster for my Baby Eagle as it is, and since I am at work, and it is a "No No" I need to stick with what I have.

Considering what I do for a living 60+ hours a week, I am really impressed that I have only been made twice (once by printing, the other by my shirt coming untucked, then retucking itself behind the grip) and the mag release problem I had at the beginning of the year that I corrected. I am very pleased with my EDC setup.

A word of advice to Cross Breed, Mtac, and other IWB holster owners, If you can push on the back of the holster where the mag release is, and release it, you may have a potential issue to deal with.

atctimmy -

Just kidding. Still not gonna happen.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    atctimmy -
    Ha! They have the best emoticons on here!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Links