Where to hide guns?

This is a discussion on Where to hide guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Duct tape and the toilet tank work sometimes, but don't ever hide them in the oven broiler!...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Where to hide guns?

Duct tape and the toilet tank work sometimes, but don't ever hide them in the oven broiler!

2. Remove Ads

JRI
    If the "somebody" has a search warrant there is no place you can hide them that won't be discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by JRI View Post
    If the "somebody" has a search warrant there is no place you can hide them that won't be discovered.
    I always wondered to the extent that the LEO/FEDS/CIA etc. go to when seaching a house. I mean I've never actually seen or heard of them knocking out walls and stuff unless they had a tip or something was obviously behind the wall.

Anyone know anything about this? Not really off topic as any info would be a good addition to the secret hiding place file.

with the assumption they are using metal detectors, or something like that, a small hidden safe near a vent, or light switch would possible trick them into the assumption that its just the switch/vent/ect... but im not too sure if that would actually work.

im not too sure of any place that would work and wouldnt be found by anyone looking hard enough
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by svinfinity45 View Post
    I always wondered to the extent that the LEO/FEDS/CIA etc. go to when seaching a house. I mean I've never actually seen or heard of them knocking out walls and stuff unless they had a tip or something was obviously behind the wall.

Anyone know anything about this? Not really off topic as any info would be a good addition to the secret hiding place file.
    It depends on what the subject of the search is. If the sought after item is a dead elephant, then no, ripping out drywall etc is not needed. But, if its stacks of cash or bales of drugs, then it is a distinct possibility.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I use my safe too. If I had a hiding place in the house, the last thing in the world I would do is post it on the internet!
    +100

I keep mine locked up in my safe. Except for the one I keep hidden on my person. So now you all know.

How about inside a desktop computer? Might be hard to get to in an emergency, but I bet no one would look there.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by svinfinity45 View Post

I don't think the CIA is too worried about your firearms. The ATF might be another story if there was so type of law change and a confiscation order. Even in England and Australia I believe it was a voluntary turn-in during a period of time. Then if you were caught with a weapon afterwords they prosecuted you. But no door-to-door search.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    What are some good places in your house to hide guns if you wanted to keep somebody from finding them if they were to come in for a search?a false wall in a closet?give me some ideas.thanks.sj
    On your person. ;-)

-john

I know a guy who had his walk-in closet wall made into gun racks all the way around. He then furred out "studs" every 4 ft and used cedar paneling as a cover. So the guns are actually inside the wall. When he needs one he pulls the clothes out, unscrews a panel and pulls it off to reveal the guns. Of course this guy was a collector who kept guns that he didn't use in this hiding place. He has a glass front, old style gun cabinet with a few cheapies sitting out in his bedroom as a decoy. Most burlgars would smash the glass and take those and be gone without ever thinking to tear the walls apart.

The drawback to this method is that if there is a fire the guns are unprotected and you would never have time to get them out.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Sort of a follow up to what Sixto was saying.......
    Depending on what the warrant is for, they can open up any space that could possibly conceal what is on the warrant. If they are looking for a Browning M-2 The structure of your house would be fair game, but your locked eight inch by ten inch by four inch fire proof document box should be out of bounds.

As far as hiding one in a desk top computer goes. That could work, but if the warrant includes the computer (as many do these days) they will take the computer and open the case and have the forensic guys go over it before they duplicate the hard drive.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Not exactly"in the house", but I feel pretty certan that some of mine couldnt be found.

A length of 6" PVC pipe with zerk fittings on the end caps for the grease and a posthole digger will do it every time. Amazing how many disassembled firearms you can get into one 4 foot piece of pipe.

P.S.--it works for ammo too.

VIP Member
    On the smoke shelf of the fireplace, don't put the ammo with them.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If you're talking about hiding from burglars, they know all the obvious places. Wrapped in aluminum foil in the freezer, in a ziplock bag in the toilet tank, under your mattress, etc.
    I've seen some really clever hidden compartments constructed by expert carpenters. One was a closet that had the door removed and a bookcase built in it's place. The bookcase swung inward and of course could be locked in the closed position. Another was a coffee table with a false, locking bottom, yet another was a massive oak dresser with false sides and top.
    Furniture lends itself to a myriad of possibilities, providing the modifications are well done and the burglar doesn't steal your furniture, which is now suspiciously heavy.
    One of the most clever was a bathroom medicine cabinet that had been removed, leaving a large cavity. Over this was installed an even larger mirror with mounting brackets on the sides and bottom. The brackets were left just loose enough that the mirror slid up, giving access to the cavity behind it.
    The best bet however is still the well made, heavy safe, bolted to the wall and floor.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Hiding firearms

Share house keys with anti-gun neighbor to watch over each others houses when on vacation. When he is gone hide a few in his attic under the insulation.
    pacman likes this.

Raevan: If you were closer, I would be over in a second with my Garret metal detector. Never know what we would find!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links