Ohio Rest Areas

This is a discussion on Ohio Rest Areas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am an Ohio resident and CHL. I know the Castle Doctrine that came into effect on 9/8/08 had other provisions regarding the loosening of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Rest Areas

Ohio Rest Areas

I am an Ohio resident and CHL. I know the Castle Doctrine that came into effect on 9/8/08 had other provisions regarding the loosening of where you can carry legally. One of those was you now can carry in state, city parks, shelters, rest areas and parking garages but not in a building where business is being conducted ie: state house, court houses, county/city buildings where you may go in to pay any utility bills, police stations etc.

Here's one for you, on 10/6 coming back from helping a friend move, I stopped at a rest area on I-70. I know now you can carry at and in a rest area and got out to go in and noticed a sign on the door the international "no" sign with a gun in the middle. I was carrying at the time went back to my truck took my gun out of it's holster and put it in my glove box and locked the truck and went on in the rest area. I just thought it was a mistake and the sign was still there and it was an oversight.

Continuing home that sign started to really jack me up! I stopped at the very next rest area and the sign was in the door. I changed interstates and found again that south of Columbus on I-71 the sign again was in the door of that rest area. THEY HAVEN'T REMOVED ANY SIGNS in any rest area that I had been! Now I'm really steaming and when I get home and start sending out emails (terse but polite) to the Buckeye Firearms Assn and my state rep and senator (btw the senator's office has never acknowledged my email) I have had conversations with the state reps aide in Columbus and he told me that the carrying of a concealed weapon in a state building wasn't in the castle doctrine. I informed him it absolutely was and still no response. So the moral of the story is folks watch out and be sure of carrying in a rest area in Ohio. Some highway patrolman may want to make a name and start arresting folks at rest areas.. be forwarned. It IS legal to do but do you want the expense of fighting it in court. I will go to that expense but that is a choice each person has to make.
    Sorry to be so long winded.
    Last edited by omle54; October 9th, 2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: mistake on date.

2. Remove Ads

So what your saying is the state changed the laws to allow carry in the rest areas but left the signs up to try and intimidate the citizens who carry.

The signs cannot be enforced then. Sounds like someone is gonna have to take one for the team and lead the charge. Don't see how it could stand up in court, but you would have to go through some lawyer cash to get to that point.

If you travel in OH much I would print out a copy of the statute that allows it and then carry at the rest stop and hope for the best. The law is on your side.

May a OH LEO will chime in (SIXTO???) and give their opinion.
    Last edited by spooter66; October 9th, 2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added comment about SIXTO
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Ohio Attorney General - Concealed Carry

This link is to OH Website for CCW

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent..._hb12_sign.pdf

The link right above is the sign but even the language on the sign indicates it is not the final say (Unless otherwise authorized by law...).

In FL there are signs at the rest stops but it is not one of the prohibited areas...
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Gotta love the great state of Ohio. lol
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

From Ohio

The signs are coming down slowly, but they are coming down. OHIO FOR CONCEAL CARRY is making sure of that. Sept. 9, 2008, HB184. If you stop at a reast stop that has a place to eat like a private McDonalds, it is a private business, and it can be posted with a no gun sign. Other then that your good to carry.

Shoot the sign.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

No way I'd go into a public restroom in any rest area unarmed. If the voices inside my head told me to do the right thing....I'd probably take my chances and pee in the bushes.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Shoot the sign.

Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    No way I'd go into a public restroom in any rest area unarmed. If the voices inside my head told me to do the right thing....I'd probably take my chances and pee in the bushes.
    I thought a public restroom was the side of the road while standing between two open doors.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charmincarmens View Post
    The signs are coming down slowly, but they are coming down. OHIO FOR CONCEAL CARRY is making sure of that. Sept. 9, 2008, HB184. If you stop at a reast stop that has a place to eat like a private McDonalds, it is a private business, and it can be posted with a no gun sign. Other then that your good to carry.
    So that means all the rest areas on the tollway are still legally posted then? Since they have the stores and eateries?

I ask because I'll be traversing Ohio a couple times in the coming weeks.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Makes one really love Washington State.

What it means is that those private stores can post CPZs like they always could. no change there. The rest stops that were effected are the state owned and maintained ones.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Know state laws regarding such matters...if I can't have my weapon legally...I don't travel in that state. A couple of years ago when Ohio had the obscene CC out of the car/OC in the car (and no carry in rest areas), I traveled round-trip FL/MI via Indiana...Ohio got none of my $$$.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm not an Ohioan (?) and don't profess to know Ohio law, but when you cite the state buildings, rest area, etc. as being part of "castle doctrine" I think you're mistaken. Castle Doctrine as a general terms refers to your right to defend yourself at home (and in some states, cars) without the requirement to retreat if possible.

Perhaps the other laws were changed under the same bill that instituted Ohio's castle doctrine, and perhaps that's what you meant all along, I just wanted to point that out since it seemed your state rep was confused by you mentioning "castle doctrine." In a technical sense he would be right in saying one has nothing to do with the other.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Gee, since I live in Ohio, and part owner of the Rest Area...I wonder if it's legal to take the sign down Myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links