Wife finally clued in

This is a discussion on Wife finally clued in within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess someone from my wifes work went missing on Sunday. It had them really shook up when they were getting strange calls. I guess ...

Thread: Wife finally clued in

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Wife finally clued in

I guess someone from my wifes work went missing on Sunday. It had them really shook up when they were getting strange calls. I guess the police were called, but my wife finally understands "anytime, anywhere".

We had a talk last night. I told her I understand her jitters about carrying, but they WILL pass the more you do it. Be glad you weren't that missing person, because wishing you had a gun will not help you.

I think she finally gets it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    That is a tough way to come out of the world. I hope she gets some training. Its cool to know your love ones can defend themselves. I hope they find the missing person unharmed.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Last year, my wife was so anti0gun it was disgusting. I had every reason to want to be armed, but she would never go for it. Then, oe day while hanging out one of our kids runs in and explains our dog bit someone. I run out thinking its some poor guy who the dog attacked. It turns out, the guy is drunk and tried to climb my fence where my children and a few other kids were playing in a pool and having a water baloon fight. My dog seen him trying to scale the fence and ran and bit a hole through the drunk guys nose. There is nothing like a german shepherd. Anyhow, I go out to check on this guy not knowing any of this and he tries to start a fight. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs, not an easy guy to bring down. I decided though, this guy could have aids and I'm not going to knock out an already bloody guy and get whatever disease he's got.

So, I make sure the wife and kids are inside and I walk backwards away from this douchebag and make my way inside. I call the police and this guy, who was trying ot scale my fence is now trying to enter my home by beating o nthe door, trying to open the garage and so on. My wife is huddled with our kids in fear and I'm waiting by each door he's beating on with a 12" hunting knife, and the intention of killing an intruder.

The police finally show up and arrest the guy and start questioning the kids. My oldest, who was 7 at the time said the man was saying "words he never heard before just to the girls" We're pretty sure it was a pervert trying to hurt one of the kids. After my wife heard this, she turns and says "shouldn't we have a gun?"

Now, after a year of being around guns, she's cool as a cucumber. She's not really pleased with where I pack sometimes, but understands why I do. We both felt so powerless during this drunken jerks attack, that neither one of us ever want to feel like that again.

I hope your wife is ok, as its scary when soemthing bad happens to someone close. But, maybe this will spark a helathy distrust of her fellow man and help her in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    That is a tough way to come out of the world.
    Remember the "Night Stalker" and that bloody rampage during the summer of 1985? That's what it took for several friends of mine to change their tune about locking their doors, taking simple precautions and being prepared.

I had several friends back in the early 1980's that refused to lock their doors at night. Didn't think it was necessary, as they knew all their neighbors well, felt comfortable in their end of the suburbs, etc. When the "Night Stalker" crimes were in full swing, he had broken into the home of a colleague and his wife, shot him in the head, raped her multiple times. They both survived it.

Needless to say, everyone I knew that was uncommitted prior to the attack suddenly reversed course and became aware of just how things can turn on a dime. It took the near-murder and rape of a colleague and his wife within a few miles of their own homes for the "light bulb" to turn on. Effective, but a wickedly sorry way to be dragged to the truth. For their own sakes, I wish people would not be so completely and utterly empty-headed when it comes to security. It can happen, fairly easily. It can.

Pro2A: Kudos to your family for finally getting a clue. It's time. It's important.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm glad your wife is finally coming around to your way of thinking.

Too bad it took something like this to persuade her.

Kev

Always Code Yellow, because today might be the day.

German Shepards are the best. My Shepard saved my mom from an attacker one night. They are very protective of their family. My folks couldn't even spank us in his presence.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Was I glad when my wife finally got it!!!!!! Get her tained well.

Took decades to get my wife to get interest, then get her permit, then FINALLY choose a weapon...now we're working on always having it with her...it all takes time.
    Be happy that your wife is interested...I keep pumping the local BG news...it helps.

Stay armed...get the spouse armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Took decades to get my wife to get interest, then get her permit, then FINALLY choose a weapon...now we're working on always having it with her...it all takes time.
    Be happy that your wife is interested...I keep pumping the local BG news...it helps.

Stay armed...get the spouse armed...stay safe!
    It's a step up from the "nail' incident I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I'm in the process now, be patient, take small steps, make it a good experience for her. Good luck.

Cornered Cat was a huge help in my battle... She still won't carry, but that will change at some point...
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

deciding on ccw

sounds like she might be coming around to deciding to carry a weapon
    for safety. good for her. anytime,anyplace,anyone. absolutely right.
    thumbs up for her wanting to protect herself.and anyone she's with.

(SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Sadly, there are some people who should never carry and sadly, my wife is one of those. She does not have it in her to injure or kill another. No matter how much training she would go through, she would never hurt anyone, I firmly believe that. To put a weapon in her hands would be giving the BG another tool to do his dirty deed.
    "Brains before Bullets"

My wife would probably pull the trigger before I would... But that's only when she'll actually carry her weapon... Which isn't often.

Links