Right to carry

This is a discussion on Right to carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought Florida can be given credit for getting the ball rolling. It should be noted it was not the first state to give it's citizens ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right to carry

Right to carry

Thought Florida can be given credit for getting the ball rolling. It should be noted it was not the first state to give it's citizens a "Right to Carry" law. Washington State enacted "Right to Carry" in 1959.
    Next year will be the 50th anniversary of "Right to Carry" in Washington State.

2. Remove Ads

50 years RTC

happy 50th anniversary to the state of washington (RTC).
    and here's to another 50 years.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

And I left Washington for TEXAS?? LOL

johnsr. Rain for sun isnt a bad trade.

Administrator
    Huh. I thought the only states that had the right were Vermont and Alaska.
    "Just blame Sixto"

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Got to agree !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I think you guys are thinking of right to concealed carry. In regards to Vermont and Alaska. Idaho also has right to carry (open carry).

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Thought Florida can be given credit for getting the ball rolling. It should be noted it was not the first state to give it's citizens a "Right to Carry" law. Washington State enacted "Right to Carry" in 1959.
    Next year will be the 50th anniversary of "Right to Carry" in Washington State.
    In a previous post I mentioned that Florida got the Shall Issue ball rolling in recent times (1987). I was reminded by an Indiana poster that they had Shall Issue for many years prior to '87, though I forget the exact year.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Just to make it clear, Washingtons "right to Carry" law has always been "Shall issue" We have had open carry since Washington became a state it is in the state constitution. The "right to carry" was for concealed permits.

I think the point with Florida is that got the ball rolling in recent times. Some states, as mentioned had it long before but I think itwas Florida that started the dominoes falling.

I think also why FL is recognized as getting the ball rolling even though they weren't the first is because the other states were typically rural, so all the libs thought with the population of FL it was going to be the Wild West.
    FL is also near the top as far as reciprocity numbers, and issues to non-residents without a license in their home state.
    But I'm still glad WA has stayed true to the 2nd longer than most states.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I think also why FL is recognized as getting the ball rolling even though they weren't the first is because the other states were typically rural, so all the libs thought with the population of FL it was going to be the Wild West.
    FL is also near the top as far as reciprocity numbers, and issues to non-residents without a license in their home state.
    But I'm still glad WA has stayed true to the 2nd longer than most states.
    ...AND, they helped spur on the Castle Doctrine movement.

I believe that only TX and UT have additional items FL could adopt...carry in schools, and the right to also protect property...probably some others, but I'm drawing blanks (sorry for the pun).

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    In Washington anyone that can legally own a gun can open carry and it is umm tolerated. To carry concealed you must have a permit. Anyone that can legally own a gun must be issued a permit upon request. There is a six to eight week wait for concealed carry permit. Without a concealed weapon permit there is a five day waiting period for the background check to clear before you can take your gun home. As I said open carry is legal but at best tolerated, many are working hard to have that become more common and accepted. I fully support that and open carry on the days I am up to the extra LEO contact. So, we are not Free States like Vermont and Alaska.
    We have a long ways to go before we are a free state. That said we were the first shall issue state and have some very gun friendly laws. We have always been a stand your ground state and have pro self defense laws, like the one that requires the state to reimburse all court costs attorney & expert testimony fees etc for anyone who is charged with shooting someone and proves a justified shoot.
    I don't know anyone who does not own at least one gun. Our Constitution makes it clear right to bear arms is an individual right. I think as soon as we get the gun owners to stop supporting gun control we will be a free state
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I believe that Alaska and Vermont are the ONLY states that have NO REGISTRATION necessary, NO LICENSE necessary, and NO PERMIT necessary for either OWNERSHIP, OPEN carry, or CONCEALED carry of handguns. (I've been wrong before.)
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    I believe that Alaska and Vermont are the ONLY states that have NO REGISTRATION necessary, NO LICENSE necessary, and NO PERMIT necessary for either OWNERSHIP, OPEN carry, or CONCEALED carry of handguns. (I've been wrong before.)
    Nope you and Sixto are correct only two free states in the union. Two free states that have no more problem with guns than any other state. But that is because the socioeconomic educational racial differences in the demographics planetary alignment and the unique angle of the sun and the stars to those two states.

Because questioning the sacred cow of gun control is unworthy of consideration. Why doubt something that has no foundation in fact when it makes so many people feel good.

Some day people will figure out that feelings are not facts and become open minded enough to see the lie that is gun control. That gun control kills Than the rest of the nation will have a chance of becoming free states too.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links