Almost shot by a cop...

This is a discussion on Almost shot by a cop... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was on my way to san Antonio(Nightmare on Grayson) Friday night at about 8:45 I guess i was kinda excited or something because ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost shot by a cop...

Almost shot by a cop...

So I was on my way to san Antonio(Nightmare on Grayson) Friday night at about 8:45 I guess i was kinda excited or something because I didn't notice I was going 85mph until I saw the red and blue lights in the median turn on.

I handed the officer my driver license, concealed handgun license, and my insurance card Stay right here sir, I'll be right back. He walks back to his cruiser, then back to my window after a couple of minutes.

Sir I need you to step back here for a second I get out like he asked walk over to him,where's your weapon at sir? "It's holstered on my hip officer."WHAT?! YOU HAVE YOUR WEAPON HOLSTERED ON YOU DURING A TRAFFIC STOP?! YOU BETTER PUT YOU GUN BACK IN YOUR CAR BEFORE I SHOOT YOU SON!!! With his glock halfway out of his holster.

So I walked over to my car slowly with hands in the air, lifted my shirt so he could see me unholster my snubbie with 2 fingers and place it back in my car. I walked back to him he said i should slow down and he let me go on my way...What do you guys think?
    It's ok, this is Texas, we can do that here...

2. Remove Ads

Dumb comment by the LEO. If you had tried to take it out while he was walking up and he had seen it he would probably have shot you. From what you say you did the right thing but the LEO either wasn't thinking ot is an idiot.

Where did he expect you to have it? And yea, he deffinately would have had a heart attack if you were trying to unholster your gun and put it somewhere in the car as he was walking up.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tell him where your weapon is at when you had him the permit.

"I am a concealed carry permit holder and my firearm is holstered on my right hip."
    Thats the way I have always been taught to do it.

No question he over reacted, but there are things you can do to help prevent an incident like this.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Not a great statement. Don't know about Texas, but in Ohio if you have a CCL, and are carrying in a vehicle, the gun MUST be on your person or in a container which can be closed and secured - zippered bag, latched hard case etc., or in a locked glove box or center console. Preferably, on your person.

Now in the LEO's defense, we were not there and don't know if he might have had a tough stop just a few minutes before, and was coming down from an adrenaline rush. But in any case, that was not the way to do things. But, it all turned out for the best. I'd let it drop, mainly because if you write a nastygram to his boss, it might have negative long term effects.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I expected every stop to be armed. He sure seems edgy to me, especially after being handed your card.
    I disagree with your title though. His sidearm "halfway out of it's holster" is hardly "almost shot by a cop".
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    if you write a nastygram to his boss, it might have negative long term effects.
    Exactly. As CHL holders we need to represent ourselves as compotent, level headed, forgiving people. Not "bitter" hicks with bad tempers and itchy trigger fingers. If possible, I might try and call or email that particular trooper. Start by apologizing for alarming him. Explain the situation from your POV, and just generally try and talk it over with him & leave him in a better mood than he was.

Remember, if we are to preserve our 2nd Amend. rights we have to convince and convert people. Can't do that if we're just ticking them off.

I think you did EXACTLY the right thing here. No one can possibly predict every variable that might happen in a traffic stop.
    Did the officer expect you to be handling your firearm inside your car while he was walking back to his cruiser? That could have been suicide.
    I think you made the correct call.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowteq View Post
    So I was on my way to san Antonio(Nightmare on Grayson) Friday night at about 8:45 I guess i was kinda excited or something because I didn't notice I was going 85mph until I saw the red and blue lights in the median turn on.

I handed the officer my driver license, concealed handgun license, and my insurance card Stay right here sir, I'll be right back. He walks back to his cruiser, then back to my window after a couple of minutes.

Sir I need you to step back here for a second I get out like he asked walk over to him,where's your weapon at sir? "It's holstered on my hip officer."WHAT?! YOU HAVE YOUR WEAPON HOLSTERED ON YOU DURING A TRAFFIC STOP?! YOU BETTER PUT YOU GUN BACK IN YOUR CAR BEFORE I SHOOT YOU SON!!! With his glock halfway out of his holster.

So I walked over to my car slowly with hands in the air, lifted my shirt so he could see me unholster my snubbie with 2 fingers and place it back in my car. I walked back to him he said i should slow down and he let me go on my way...What do you guys think?
    If it went the way you say it did, the police were wrong for acting in that manner. What were you thinking, driving at that speed? Unfortunately, we have to act more responsibly as CCW permit holders. I have conditioned my behavior when I am carrying. I can't carry where I live, but when I go out of state, I am prepared. I practice concealed carry at home everyday. With that actual practice comes mental preparation as well. I am always thinking about what can happen.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Administrator
    Extremely dumb cop, or this story is complete BS.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Extremely dumb cop, or this story is complete BS.
    No offense to the writer, but I have to agree.....with SIXTO...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Police Officers are individuals and just like any other job, you have to wonder how some people get hired.

Chalk it up to experiance, it'll help you appreciate the good ones... and most Officers are pretty darn good!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz13 View Post
    Exactly. As CHL holders we need to represent ourselves as compotent, level headed, forgiving people. Not "bitter" hicks with bad tempers and itchy trigger fingers. If possible, I might try and call or email that particular trooper. Start by apologizing for alarming him. Explain the situation from your POV, and just generally try and talk it over with him & leave him in a better mood than he was.

Remember, if we are to preserve our 2nd Amend. rights we have to convince and convert people. Can't do that if we're just ticking them off.
    Excellent post. It's smart to make allies out of law enforcement if possible. Our cause needs to be won in the courts of public opinion. Most of the cops in my neck of the woods seem generally supportive and the more of them on our side the better. Our OP here could probably prove a point but in the process make an enemy of the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    What were you thinking, driving at that speed? Unfortunately, we have to act more responsibly as CCW permit holders. I have conditioned my behavior when I am carrying.
    +1 We're all human and we all make mistakes, even cops. But when you are a CHL holder your mistakes can potentially have catastrophic effects on ALL CHL holders. Even for things as mundane and Non-gun related as a traffic stop. Because when you're carrying a gun, all incidents could be construed as 'gun incidents'.
    Last edited by Slimz13; October 12th, 2008 at 09:15 PM.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimz13 View Post
    +1 We're all human and we all make mistakes, even cops. But when you are a CHL holder your mistakes can potentially have catastrophic effects on ALL CHL holders. Even for things as mundane and Non-gun related as a traffic stop. Because when you're carrying a gun, ALL INCIDENTS ARE GUN INCIDENTS. All crimes can be construed as a gun crime for CHL holders.
    Sorry...this is in my 'Uh' category. I disagree that all incidents become a gun incident. As the story goes, it appears the LEO over reacted...but then again...perhaps he recognized his overreaction and gave no ticket (85 in what zone?). Nothing more, nothing less.

Rick

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links