Dating Your Daughter - Page 2

Dating Your Daughter

This is a discussion on Dating Your Daughter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girls couldn't date until they were 18, too many young men like me out there. In Mass you have to be 21 to carry. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dating Your Daughter

My girls couldn't date until they were 18, too many young men like me out there. In Mass you have to be 21 to carry. It would be a plus and an opportunity to get to know the young man through a common interest. Wait, my daughter planned this and I've been played! Dates OFF!!

I would get to know him before dating my daughter would even become an option. If I had a daughter, though, I would expect her to be carrying (just like Mom )
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

I once heard that daughters are God's way of punishing you for when you (men) were young and single - I have twin 3 yo girls. Lord, was I THAT bad? :)
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I'd rather she be the one doing the protecting!

I've raised three kids to adulthood, two of them daughters. One is 25 and one is 18.

I'm not sure about some of the posts here, they sound a lot like me when my girls were younger. "They won't date someone I won't approve of," or "only when they're 18" or some other dream. LOL. Truth is, in this day and time, that is truly an impossible set of restrictions to enforce. They will find a way to be together, with or without your blessing, and I'd much rather be tuned in to what's going on than them sneaking around on me. I finally had to relent, but I learned to have a little fun with it when I first met them. I'm a pretty big guy, and can be intimidating when I want to be. I made it very clear from early on that anyone harming my girls would be dealing with a very unhappy me, and they know I have guns. In fact I know my youngest (who talks way too much) has let a couple of her boyfriends know that I carry.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    And of course if it's a CC permit, and he was any good, how would you know?

It will show up on the background check I have run on him before he leaves with my daughter.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I did a lot of dating and there were very few time the parents or at least the father met me let alone spoke to me. Even if they had said something it wouldn't have stoped us form sneaking around later. Nothing you can do to restrict the guys they date cause you can't have eyes on them 24 hrs a day. All you can do is hope you taught them well enough to begin with. I'm 21 so my experience is still pretty recent. I know how the dating scene is not how fathers hope it is. lol

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Take him shooting first, if he handles the gun responsible and treats you with respect, then it seems like a good thing.

Regardless as to whether or not her parents approve, I'm carrying on dates if legally allowed to. Their opinions really don't matter to me, to be quite frank.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Regardless as to whether or not her parents approve, I'm carrying on dates if legally allowed to. Their opinions really don't matter to me, to be quite frank.
    That is a recipe for disaster right there. Whether you think so or not the entire family comes with the girl and if you try to separate them it is just going to cause trouble. You don't have to agree with them or get approval but but to say their opinions don't matter is foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    That is a recipe for disaster right there. Whether you think so or not the entire family comes with the girl and if you try to separate them it is just going to cause trouble. You don't have to agree with them or get approval but but to say their opinions don't matter is foolish.
    That was kinda my thinking on that. I feel sorry for any young man that thinks my opinion about the well being of my daughter doesn't matter.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Do I detect an attitude that "even if he has a CHL, I don't trust his judgment until I check it out?"

I thought that most think that if they have gone through training and received a CHL they are not to be questioned. Is it different when one's daughter is involved? Do we not trust the instructors, training, and maturity of those at or just above the age one can get a CHL? Or is it a case of all is OK until I have to trust my daughter with a BF who carries?

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I'll worry about inlaws if things work out with her first. It's not them I'm dating or in the relationship with.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

me
    I am still wondering how the guys on here plan to even know who their daughter is going out with. I am 23 and working on starting something with a young lady a little older than I. We both have our own places and although we are both very close with our families we will not be meeting the others parents the day we start dating.

If your daughter lets you then more power to you, but my understanding was at least for first dates that you meet in a predetermined location and both drive yourselves so you can leave on your own if things don't go well then the person does not know where you live.

**Edit**
    I find it funny that we have discussed on here a number of times whether or not one should carry on a first date and how many people reply on that "I always carry" yet when it comes to it being "Daddy's little girl" the same people are against that person carrying.
    **Edit**
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I am engaged to a beautiful woman and I carried on our first date and I told my future father in law I carried and he carries also and he told me he feels safer knowing his daughter is going out with someone who is carrying and is willing to protect his daughter.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links