Dating Your Daughter - Page 3

Dating Your Daughter

This is a discussion on Dating Your Daughter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, you need to trust your daughters. To do that you need to start talking to them about the man you would like them to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    First, you need to trust your daughters. To do that you need to start talking to them about the man you would like them to marry beginning when they are still in their mothers womb and continue until the day they get married. Don't preach, just be consistent and persistent. If you start early enough and do that well, it will become ingrained in them and they will pick well.

Second, my wife does some skip tracing and can find out about anybody. She does a background check on every boyfriend and their family going back about 3 generations. My wife is thorough if nothing else.

Finally, when a boy comes to the door, ask him pointed questions about what they will be doing, where they are going, what time they will be in, etc. It gets their attention. Remind him that your daughter is your most prescious possession.

My son in law is a Marine and probably could have taken care of me with or without a gun. However he was always respectful, answering all my questions and taking my reminders seriously. I am very happy to have him as a son in law and know my daughter will be protected probably better than I could do.

BTW, I carried at their wedding.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I did a lot of dating and there were very few time the parents or at least the father met me let alone spoke to me. Even if they had said something it wouldn't have stoped us form sneaking around later. Nothing you can do to restrict the guys they date cause you can't have eyes on them 24 hrs a day. All you can do is hope you taught them well enough to begin with. I'm 21 so my experience is still pretty recent. I know how the dating scene is not how fathers hope it is. lol
    You are in Maimi. You behave badly and you will have a Cuban Father chasing afetr you with 2 machetes while Mom puts a curse on you.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I think in such a situation, the guy is going to go on a date with Dad, too. You wanna date my daughter, fine... lets take a trip to the range so I can get to know you a bit.

If I'm uncomfortable around him with the gun, then I'd be uncomfortable with her being around him with a gun.

All that's easy for me to say, I don't have a daughter. Just future gun-toting boys. :)
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    You are in Maimi. You behave badly and you will have a Cuban Father chasing afetr you with 2 machetes while Mom puts a curse on you.
    Im Cuban so I got my own defenses. lol Plus Im not behaving badly anymore. But yes that was a concerne back then... I was a fast runner.

My wife told me a story about when her date picked her up for a dance once.

Dad met him at the door, invited him in, sat him down at the kitchen table, went into the bedroom came out with his rifle, shotgun and pistol + cleaning kit. Never said a word to the boy, just started cleaning his guns. When they my wife was finally ready to leave the house her dad just asked "When ya'll gonna bring my girl home"?

Wife tells me that kid was the most polite and respectful date she had.

I plan on being the same way when my Daughter starts dating, although I have just a bit more weapons then her dad did......
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Dating daughter or Trusting daughter

I detect two different issues being discussed here:
    1. Do you trust a young man with CCW with your daughter?
    2. Do you trust your daughter to wisely choose an honorable young man?

Many here have stated, as did I, that we intend to “get to know” said young man in order to gain our trust prior to granting permission to date.
    This assumes that I have had (for this example) 18 years to “get to know” my daughter. This period of time should have been used to train, and gain mutual trust. In 18 years, she will know many of my faults, and be able to discern my true love and care for her, but most of all, I have made it clear to her that NO MAN on this earth wants her to succeed and be safe as much as I do. The man she is to marry should be ready and equipped to take that attitude of support and care I have, and any young man she dates, should be a candidate for her future husband.
    That is my hope and prayer for her.

So. Back to the original question: Would I approve of a young man to CCW when my daughter is with him?
    Yes, if he carries because he is truly concerned for her safety.

BTW: If that first date is when she is 21, SHE will be the one carrying!
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

One of my daughters was talking to my wife one day and the name of some boy was brought up. My wife asked my daughter about him and my daughter said "Daddy would kill him"! I have no idea who this boy is and anything about him but evidently my daughter figured we wouldn't get along. The funny thing is I have never said anything to my daughters about what kind of boy they could date or marry. I figure they are just waiting until they can find someone that matches up to their Daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Hello,

I've wondered about this.

Since people in Indiana can carry when they turn 18, how would you feel if your, say, 17 year old daughter were to go on a date with a senior who turned 18 and got his handgun permit, and planned to carry on said date?

Or how about if she were living at home while going to college, and dating someone licensed to carry (and who made a habit of carrying)?

I'm 30 so it'll be a while (if ever) that I have to be concerned about this, but I think this is an interesting question.

Josh <><
    I hate to bring this up, but kids do what they want these days. They're going to do it anyway, whether you like it or not. The best you can do is bring them up the right way and hope they make the right decisions when the time comes.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I am still wondering how the guys on here plan to even know who their daughter is going out with. I am 23 and working on starting something with a young lady a little older than I. We both have our own places and although we are both very close with our families we will not be meeting the others parents the day we start dating.

If your daughter lets you then more power to you, but my understanding was at least for first dates that you meet in a predetermined location and both drive yourselves so you can leave on your own if things don't go well then the person does not know where you live.

**Edit**
    I find it funny that we have discussed on here a number of times whether or not one should carry on a first date and how many people reply on that "I always carry" yet when it comes to it being "Daddy's little girl" the same people are against that person carrying.
    **Edit**

Your dating situation is different than what the OP has asked. You and the young lady you are talking about are both adults with your own places to live. A 17 y.o. young lady living at home is a little different. My daughter will meet at a predetermined location, it is called my living room. From there they can take different vehicles if they choose, but for the first date, he will pick her up at my home. That is not to say that I want to try to scare him or anything, just meet him to get to know him a little and go over the rules. As far as her sneaking around to get around the rules, I will find out and it want be pretty.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Okay, I am a dad with one daughter dating age and the other almost there. My question is why would the of age boy tell me he is carrying ? Is he bragging about this or something ? I hope that I have instilled some of my values in my daughters at this time and that they possess some judgement. yes they are still going to make errors (that is part of growing), but you can't protect them from life.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links