Dating Your Daughter

Dating Your Daughter

This is a discussion on Dating Your Daughter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I've wondered about this. Since people in Indiana can carry when they turn 18, how would you feel if your, say, 17 year old ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Dating Your Daughter

Hello,

I've wondered about this.

Since people in Indiana can carry when they turn 18, how would you feel if your, say, 17 year old daughter were to go on a date with a senior who turned 18 and got his handgun permit, and planned to carry on said date?

Or how about if she were living at home while going to college, and dating someone licensed to carry (and who made a habit of carrying)?

I'm 30 so it'll be a while (if ever) that I have to be concerned about this, but I think this is an interesting question.

Josh <><

If I trust him enough to let him date my daughter, I trust him to carry while they are out. It would actually make me feel that my daughter was a little safer. I would also invite the young man to the range with me. That way I can make sure he knows how to use the weapon he is carrying.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Well im 21 and am waiting as my app gets processed. I don't plan on telling my will be inlaws or at least not my future mother in law as she is anit gun. I'd venture to say she knows me well enough to understand its to protect her daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    If I trust him enough to let him date my daughter, I trust him to carry while they are out. It would actually make me feel that my daughter was a little safer. I would also invite the young man to the range with me. That way I can make sure he knows how to use the weapon he is carrying.
    Thats funny. I just invited my future inlaws to the range. I'll be taking them in a couple of weeks. My father inlaw (future) is pro guns but the my mother inlaw (future) not so much. I'll win her over.

Administrator

What he said.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Daughter/son dating days are over...but I'd already have a good idea of the future 'in-law's' attitude, and responsibility level. I would like to think that the ability to carry and use a weapon would make that individual a MORE responsible person.
    I'd probably invite that guy/gal to take a course with me...that couldn't hurt the relationship or the skill level.

Let's face it, most of us don't think like the generation behind us...understanding is a two-way street.

Stay armed...encourage others...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One of my biggest fear is that my daughter will date a guy that I like. I would rather him be fearful of me and my use of guns than him wanting to go out and shoot them with me....

Just kidding. Deadeye72 has it right.

Just girlfriends of less than a year would never know(at least to the best of my concealment ability or we were living together etc) nor would their parents, none of there business, unless I was directly asked, and seeing as more than half of relationships go sour these days, I'd rather have one less thing the ex has to possibly pull my strings with should the relationship end on a bad note. (can't really say blackmail, but how would it look if she knew I CC'ed, then when I went to bring her her "things" or whatever, she calls the cops and says "oh my god my crazy ex boyfriend was just here and put a gun in my face!"....I get pulled over, indeed have a gun on me, there goes my permit and probably a lot of money in legal fees) Guys and Girls get pretty harsh when it comes to "payback" now a days and I'd rather have the blackmail list short. Same reason we all usually don't tell any other person. On the other hand, my last girlfriend I did take to the shooting range with her parents knowing, but there was no mention of CC, just going to the range and renting a gun for her to shoot.

As to the OP's question, I'm only 23 so no kids for me yet, but I agree with the other posts, I wouldn't just trust the fact that he was issued a permit. I would invite him to join me at the range. (Same thing I would do even if the boyfriend didn't shoot or own guns/permit hehe*insert part of "bad boys 2" where Will and Martin scare the [Edited]out of the daughters bf*). If I was satisfied with his performance and safety at the range and he answered any questions I had about it to my liking, he'd be GTG.

Same thing as when I used to pick up girls in high school and some of there fathers would want to go for a ride with me driving before they let their daughter in my car.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 13th, 2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Well this happened to me last year, Daughter was 17 and he was 20. He didn't have a CWL, but did have a gun in his truck (44 mag) I was showing him my new SP101, when he said he had a 44 and went and got it. We were checking out each others guns, when my daughter said I had a 45. He responded that he would like to see it, so I whipped it out (carry gun) The look on his face was priceless, he had no idea I carried. After that he had a new respect for me. (or scared) Turns out he was a butt-head and they broke up.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

It's at the age of 21 around the states here that you can legally carry. By then I hope I've instilled good judgement in my now teenaged daughters to make that proper life choice for themselves.

I've been the best example I (think) I can be of a good man who carries responsibly and takes care of those he cares about.

At 18 I still have some 'daddy' responsiblity and I'll make a judgement ATT.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Hello,

I've wondered about this.

Since people in Indiana can carry when they turn 18, how would you feel if your, say, 17 year old daughter were to go on a date with a senior who turned 18 and got his handgun permit, and planned to carry on said date?
    Turn it around, what if you were the 18 year old? And of course if it's a CC permit, and he was any good, how would you know?

Just a couple more things to wonder about.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I have a 19 year old daughter,but when she was 18 her BF planned on getting his permit but never did before they broke up. I was fine with it. I shot with him a few times. I would want to make sure he had the "right attitudes" that come with carrying.

Let's just say that a gun is way down on the list of things to worry about. My oldest daughter was dating a Highway Patrolman for a while and thank goodness she broke up with him. Then she was dating a JAG Officer stationed at Fort Jackson. They were getting very serious until he was killed in a motorcycle accident. Both of those were probably involved with guns so I don't worry about that.

These types of questions always reminds me of a story that Loretta Lynn told. She said that her Grandfather was a full blooded, (I think Cheorkee, which would make us relatives), Indian. She said that he never talked very much and the only complete sentence she ever heard him say was on her wedding day he told her husband, "You take good care of my little girl or I will kill you"! If my daughters ever get married I plan to use that line on their husbands since I am also part Che4rokee.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My daughter will probably require that he carry, AND that he outshoot her. That will hopefully slow things down a bit.

+1

When my daughter was in college, she started going to the range w/me. I quickly realized that, in addition to the fun we had shooting, the young LEO 'range rats' also had something to do w/it. Her last yr in college she dated a few of them and decided that she wanted to marry a cop. After she graduated, she met a guy who wanted to be a cop. They got married after he finished the NJ police academy. For an engagement present, he gave her a Glock 26.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Dating my Daughter?

Well, thatís an issue I expect to face at some point in only a few years.
    There is always that old joke about inviting him into the parlor where Iím cleaning my guns. Quite frankly, Iíll probably do something like that. But I expect to know him better before he takes my daughter out anyhow.
    As for HIM carrying?
    First, my intention is to know the young man well enough to trust him to take my daughter out at all.
    He must then convince me that his intentions are Ö honorable.
    If so, I would be glad to give him an opportunity to demonstrate, or learn good SD skills, and then be allowed to protect my daughter on said date.
    Iím not only looking for competence with a gun, but good judgment, in what it means to carry, and understanding the ramifications of using deadly force if called upon to do so.
    At some point he will come to understand that I take the protection of my daughter, deadly serious.

We'll get along just fine.
    Itís so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

ďThe way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,Ē the Sheriff said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links