Need advice is TX on C&C

Need advice is TX on C&C

This is a discussion on Need advice is TX on C&C within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My father recently passed away leaving me the executor of his estate. In accordance with his will, I cut off funds to his granddaughter, my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Need advice is TX on C&C

My father recently passed away leaving me the executor of his estate. In accordance with his will, I cut off funds to his granddaughter, my niece, who has been totally dependent upon him, and welfare, for her living expenses for the last five years. She has never held a job. Of course she (I will call her Ann) does not believe me. She believes this was an arbitrary decision on my part. Before you say “show Ann the will” let me tell you she will simply say that I made up the will. Here is some information in regards to her character:

Ann is only 19 years old. She has two children by we do not know how many potential fathers of two different races. Ann has been in and out of rehab 3 times, in and out of jail 2 times, in and out of the Youth Facility 4 times, she has 3 local warrants out for her, she has beaten up and been beaten up by the same man twice, she has stolen money and items from the family home, she has had two MVAs that were her fault and of a substantial cost in the last 6 months, she has run away from home more times than we can count, she has hit her mother, attempted to stab her step-father, and one of the outstanding warrants is for assault on a LEO. She is a known member of a city-wide gang, hangs with people who carry guns, was recently arrested in another county for vehicular theft, has a warrant out for her arrest in Florida, and publicly accused me of murdering my father so that she would be cut off from all of his funds. There is more, but you probably already think I am exaggerating. I promise that I am not.

I am a 57 YO WM, a former U.S. Army Sergeant with combat experience in Vietnam (11B40). I was also an instructor on the .45 Caliber sidearm ranges at Ft. Polk and Ft. Benning.

We own a Tec-9 semi automatic gas recoilless pistol loaded with home protection ammo and a few hunting rifles. A LEO friend has advised me to carry a concealed weapon at all times. He ran Ann’s sheet and thinks that she may dispatch one of her “bros” to come dispatch me, the guy she perceives as the one who stands between her and the money. I do not believe she would be so bold, but one never knows.

The Tec-9 is not a C&C weapon and I do not have a C&C license. Tomorrow I will pick up a Sig Sauer P239 and start C&Cing it. In Vietnam, we lived with our weapons, and vice versa. We never made the mistake that John Travolta made in Pulp Fiction. After all, a weapon in the closet back home is about as good as gasoline on the ground is to a pilot in the air.

How much trouble can one get into in Texas for C&Cing without a license? Our House Bill 1815 is a big help, but I don’t think it will allow me to C&C a weapon into a movie or other place where such weapons are allowed? In order to clean up the estate I must travel 160 miles each way through various different counties and cities.

“According to Dallas District DA Craig Watkins the burden now falls on the police officer to prove you are not really "traveling," which Watkins says is virtually impossible. If you read the new statute, it essentially does away with the concealed handgun law," Watkins says. As of September 1, his office no longer accepted most UCW (unlawfully carrying a weapon) charges that involved the "traveling" issue and dismissed pending cases.”

(Texas Concealed Gun Laws Loosen - News - Dallas Observerpage 1 - Dallas Observer )

Does anyone know if there is any consideration for extreme and potentially lethal circumstances, or, the fact that I am a Veteran with combat experience and a former military weapons instructor? Does anybody have direct experience, or other ideas, or things I am not thinking of?

My life is worth more to me that the loss of a new weapon being seized by LE, so, I am going to C&C. It would be helpful to prepare a defense first if possible and to always avoid trouble in the first place. I already know how I perform in combat, even though it was years ago, so I have no problem with walking, or running away from, a lethal situation if I can. It is the one I can’t escape, the ambush, which concerns me.

Thank you.
    Last edited by savemypc; October 12th, 2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    "God makes the wind. We set the sails."

My Avatar is the AAF flight jacket patch from my father's B-24 Liberator in WW2. The name was "Touch Me Not", referring to Ack-Ack and enemy fighters, of course. He was a member of the 485th BG,15th AAC, Italy. God rest his soul.

Sorry to hear about your father passing and you finding yourself in a situation where even a LEO believes your life may be at risk. But, uh, welcome to the forum

Here in Texas, you are allowed to CC in your car "as long as it's concealed" and of course can have an arsenal in your home to protect yourself and your family. I'm under the belief that as long as you're not at home and driving somewhere, you can be 'traveling' anywhere and can lawfully carry concealed in your car. Without a CCL, carrying into a movie theater or what have you would be illegal (you know this, of course), but in your situation and at the advisement of the LEO, I'd carry. And in the meantime, get your application in for a CCL as soon as possible--it takes long enough anyway.

Sure it isn't what the law says, but believing that you'd be the only one in the vicinity carrying without a CCL is simply false.

With all that being said, I would also carry a non-lethal weapon (mace, etc...) on me to use as first draw just in case said "bro" attacks without a gun. Thanks for your service to our country, and stay safe out there...
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

I don't know what I would do unless I was in that situation but first why don't you get your CHL ASAP. I know it takes months to get these days, but I would definatly get it. And second if she is that messed up, and has a warrant for assualting a LEO, I think if I know where she was I'd turn her in to the law! It could only help her getting not only what is coming to her, but just maybe after facing justice, maybe she will finally straighten out! Obviously leaving her out on the street at the rate she is going, she will be dead soon. I certainly cannot tell you I know any of this from any personal experience, in fact the only thing I can relate to you is I did serve in the Army as well in combat arms, but not combat like yourself, but that is about the only thing I could think of doing if it were me.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Get the ball rolling on your Texas permit right away. In the meantime, apply for a New Hampshire Non Resident permit. Cost is $20 and they must issue or deny within 14 days of application. Texas honors NH permits and has no residency restriction.

Your niece sounds like a real piece of work. Can you explain to me, however, how it's relevant that her potential "baby daddies" are from "two different races"?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Get the ball rolling on your Texas permit right away. In the meantime, apply for a New Hampshire Non Resident permit. Cost is $20 and they must issue or deny within 14 days of application. Texas honors NH permits and has no residency restriction.
    You can seriously do that?

Time to get my CHL then.

VIP Member
    One avenue to look into is filing a restraining order against her, being in North Carolina I am not familiar with Texas laws but our state requires the sheriff to issue a temporary (valid for 90 days) CCP if someone files a TRO, if Texas has a similar law that will cover you until you receive your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelKangaroo View Post
    You can seriously do that?

Time to get my CHL then.

so you dont have to have a resident Tx license to carry in texas if your an actual resident? people could save alot of dough but skipping the required training and getting the NH license
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post

Your niece sounds like a real piece of work. Can you explain to me, however, how it's relevant that her potential "baby daddies" are from "two different races"?

Joe
    Thank you Raytracer, but, here is the NH requirement for obtaining a NH non-resident permit. The non-resident permit application must be accomponied by:

Non-Resident Only - A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state.

Where we live, and I think throughout the State of Texas, only the State may issue such a permit.
    Because in my work at the Southwest Educational Developmental Labratory we proved that mulatto children are discriminated against. Most often the discrimination occurs when families with mulatto children try to obtain housing, which is a real problem for Ann even without children. In our society, it is sad but true that mulatto children are at a disadvantage in all races and face years of torment within the eductaional system. Later in life they face job discrimination more often than their socio-economic compettitors of a single race. Also, please read the Publication: Columbia Journal of Gender and Law The modern mulatto: a comparative analysis of the social and legal positions of mulattoes in the antebellum south and the intersex in contemporary America for interesting insights. Also, it has been indiacted that people who have intercourse with many different people outside of thier own race are less succesful in regards to the cognitive development of their children, especially latencey age children. Surveys amongst that control group indicated that they are concerned more about their own gratification and position within the social strata than any consdieration of family and future outcomes of children resulting from such relationships.

In other words, the studies indicate that in many cases the parents of mulatto children were more concerned with their own needs than any future needs of their children or the family unit. This fits Ann to a tee.

Beyond that, I am not here to debate this issue. It is OT. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    One avenue to look into is filing a restraining order against her, being in North Carolina I am not familiar with Texas laws but our state requires the sheriff to issue a temporary (valid for 90 days) CCP if someone files a TRO, if Texas has a similar law that will cover you until you receive your permit.

I will check that out. Thank you!

My Avatar is the AAF flight jacket patch from my father's B-24 Liberator in WW2. The name was "Touch Me Not", referring to Ack-Ack and enemy fighters, of course. He was a member of the 485th BG,15th AAC, Italy. God rest his soul.

You can legally carry in your car. I wouldn't advise that you carry illegally though. If she did send someone after you it would most lilkely be to your house(where your guns are already), as thugs don't have the best surveillance skills or equipment. If you did get tagged without a license you can kiss any chance of getting a ccw goodbye. Of course only you know if the threat level is worth this risk.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

AEA
    Many people in Texas carried concealed long before CC was "allowed".
    I will admit that I was one of them. I can also say that one of my Aunts always had a snubbie .38 in her purse. It was not all that uncommon, especially for women.

If I were in you situation, I would definitely be carrying, license or not.

However, this is you personal choice and you will have to live with the consequences (if any). You can be murdered or you can have at least the chance to survive. You can sort it all out in Court later and still be alive.

Just my .02 cents. Take it for what's it's worth.

Get the Sig and keep it in your car. In Texas you do not have to be travelling to carry in your car.

Get the CHL ball rolling. The longer you wait, the longer it will take.

Whne yo are at home, keep your weapon on you at all times

BE VIGILANT

Can you explain to me, however, how it's relevant that her potential "baby daddies" are from "two different races"?
    I don't think it is really a slander or racist rather a concern for the children. I think savemypc's answer about mixed race children having problems in society beyond anything they do is real that they are discriminated against by both races whether that is the PC thing to say or not. There are a lot of subtle discrimination tactics going on these days by every race against every other race and many times against those of their own race.

I think samemypc has been placed in a very tough position but is doing a good job of thinking things through. I advise him to start work on a CCW ASAP and carry one at least in his car. I have had several conversations with LEO around here in SC and I really think that TX LEO would be similar. As long as you behave yourself most don't really care. The NH deal is fine but you need one from your own state before you can get a NH permit.

One thing to point out for those that aren't aware is when you are named executor of an estate you must follow the will as you are personally responsible for it. It can only be changed by the agreement of everyone involved in it which means that those named in it would be giving "Ann" something out of their pocket rather than from the estate.

I just wish the OP good luck and hope that his niece can get straightened out and her children the best of luck. They are going to need it. Sometimes it is scary what we can get involved with from no fault of our own.

Why haven't you sought qualified legal advice? Seems like the logical step to take.

First ,I am sorry about the death of your father
    I know I we all will face that someday.
    But to be blunt,It sounds like your father may have been the
    enabler in her life and left you in a bad spot.
    It also sounds like he left you to do what he was not
    strong enough to do.
    others have answered your post telling you what you need to do
    so I will only say this.
    Stay strong ,Stay safe
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    First ,I am sorry about the death of your father
    I know I we all will face that someday.
    But to be blunt,It sounds like your father may have been the
    enabler in her life and left you in a bad spot.
    It also sounds like he left you to do what he was not
    strong enough to do.
    others have answered your post telling you what you need to do
    so I will only say this.
    Stay strong ,Stay safe
    That is absolutley the truth. I still love dad, and always will, but in his last years his age overtook his brain in some regards. When we were kids we never would have gotten away with all of this. After his wife suddenly died a few years ago something happened with him.

Everybody out there should know that when you fully support somebody through all of the stuff that Ann did, you are really handicapping them. Ann is now 19, with two kids, no money, no self displine, no training, not even a GED, but with an attitude that someone will "take care of me" like her Grandfather, and Grandmother before, did. Life is fixing to hit her in the face and she is not prepared.

God help her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links