Decision speed and criticality - Page 2

Decision speed and criticality

This is a discussion on Decision speed and criticality within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize I'm a "newbie" to the Forum and the CCW-world in general, but I'd think that you could increase your chances of making the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decision speed and criticality

I realize I'm a "newbie" to the Forum and the CCW-world in general, but I'd think that you could increase your chances of making the right decision when push comes to shove.

Seems to me that most agree on the need for "reaction drill" training. But if those training sessions only cover "who to shoot first" scenarios, you may be creating a problem.

If you included "shoot-or-no-shoot" instances in the reaction drills, it might go a long way towards adding to your confidence about making the right choice in a crisis situation.

By the way, P95Carry, I just posted a review on Bryan's book, Welcome to the Real World that you expressed an interest in, down in the "Books" section of the Forum. When you do read that one, I'd like to know your take on it.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - thx I'll go check that out. I received Bryan's book a while ago but have to confess to not having anywhere near finished it - made worse by being into two other books at same time and - all the rest of the stuff I seem to be involved with.!!

What I have read so far I like.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I know this for a fact and that it's true but, it's not my life obligation to harp on it too much.
    It seems that the general consensus is...harp, please, sir.

We are sometimes handicapped by circumstances, or maybe even attitude...
    Surely something worthy of discussion.

Administrator

Post I thought That I Was Being Pretty Clear

First Of all I apologize for not answering this quicker. Somehow I neglected to revisit this particular thread.
    Since I hate tons of pop ups & "notifications"
    I negotiate this forum by memory only....usually that works OK...sometimes it does not.

Actually, it's not all that ominous. Some people have made decisions on how they want or need to carry their primary that will severely handicap them should they ever need to gain fast access to that firearm. They will not be able to get that weapon clear & on target in 1.5 seconds OR less.

They will have "made the decision" that they need their firearm.
    They will have processed the mental decision that said firearm is needed & they will not be able to get to it...before possible time runs out.
    That critical "Lag Time" no matter if their carry method is of necessity or choice might/will cost them dearly in many situations.

If a Carry Individual is packing in a Kramer Confident or way down deep in the Family Jewels or in the majority of ankle rigs or w/ some IWB holsters they are not physically able to gain access to that firearm as soon as they very likely will know they need it.

Please Compound That Crisis by adding Panic, Adrenaline Pump, Gloves, Button Down Coat, Shirt Tails Tucked In, & on & on.

It's just my personal opinion that if a defensive shooter cannot clear their respective method of carry and be up on threat/target in 1.5 seconds or LESS (on a good day) then they sure are not going to be able to do it on the worst of days.

That is my opinion & it will never change.
    A Real Life $hit Hit The Fan situation does not care if you needed to secrete your firearm down there in your jingle berries or not and the situation does not care if it's cold outside & you needed to Bundle Up.

Of course, I realize that some folks have no "choice" but, do they really have no other options? I wonder about that.

So anyway...that is my basic opinion. My opinion is that any carry mode or style of dress that requires 1.5 seconds or more "Ready On Target" is automatically unacceptable.
    I usually keep it to myself BECAUSE (in the past) I've been accused of being Self Righteous & pompous & arrogant for stating that some methods of carry are "worse than garbage" & absolutely, undeniably, useless for immediate, necessary, self~defense.

And usually the rebuttal is "Well, it's better for me to have the firearm than to leave it at home....and maybe it takes a lot longer to get to it but, at least...whine whine whine...."
    and that is peachy keen with me BUT, I hope they never actually need it in a hurry. The only thing that saves them is that STATISTICALLY people do not get violently attacked that often. That is the only thing that keeps them safe and NOT their firearm. They are packing a thumb sucking security blanket and not a defensive weapon.

I KNOW I made myself clear now...huh?

End Of Story.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Thx QK - I am in agreement as to the main principle and follow same myself - even to the point where I will be distinctly cold because I have all garment layers open so as to access the OWB.

I have been wearing a pullover of late and that sometimes under an open shirt - but the pullover is pulled up and behind the rig and gun. I hate any barrier to access.

I do try and remember tho that not all folks can be as laid back and relaxed with their carry as I am - and so have to resort to near subterfuge - meaning that sadly their access is compromized, quite severely - but hey - catch 22, rock and hard place - sometimes choices are limited.

Folks have to do the very best they can - with extant circumstances.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Not pointing Any Fingers specifically at any individual members on our forum though a few of my mental fingers might be maybe pointing a bit but, not at you guys.

Another strong opinion of mine (feel free to disagree) is that lightning fast "quick & easy" access to the smallest & most diminutive of mouse gun is FAR better than the primary firearm that takes 4 or 5 seconds to get to ready status.

If somebody is "Baseball Bat Full Speed Ahead" coming at me...I honestly would rather have a 75 year old single shot .22 Short Derringer in hand...than a high cap 9mm Primary parked in my pubic area 6 seconds away. Any day of the week give me the .22 Short & a BG head to shoot it at.
    Just my opinion.

Thats is a great point Qk and also leads to what i said about the Proctoligst(sp) knowing the guy is there..

this time of year can be rough but i do switch my method of carry i have had the main IWB or OWB under coat and if its bitterly chilly a 38 snub in coat pocket with ahnd in pocket on it

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Bryan - LOL! Nice one!!

Thank you, Thank you...

I'll be in town until thursday.
    <takes a bow>

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    If you included "shoot-or-no-shoot" instances in the reaction drills, it might go a long way towards adding to your confidence about making the right choice in a crisis situation.
    I too think this is very important. And not just a 'shoot-or-no-shoot' on bystander vs BG, but also background or environment. If there is a church bus full of people behind your BG, you may not want to unload a full clip of ball ammo through him until moving to a different position/angle on him.

At least this is something that I think about...
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links