Car Carry

This is a discussion on Car Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other night I was driving around and came up to a four way stop. I had completed my stop and was proceeding through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Carry

Car Carry

The other night I was driving around and came up to a four way stop. I had completed my stop and was proceeding through the intersection and a local cop was coming fast from my right. It didn't look like he was going to stop so I hit the brakes hard and stopped about a 1/3 of the way into the intersection. He managed to stop at the stop sign and I continued on my way. At this point he turns and it appears that he is following me, so I turn randomly at each road I come to making sure I use my blinker and such. He follows me for 3-4 turns and I guess he got bored and left. During this time I had my Glock 30sf in a MTAC on my right hip. I do not yet have my CHL, but it should be approved any day now I hope I live in Texas so it is legal to have it in my truck as long as it is concealed but do you think its a bad idea to have it on my hip? Should I keep it in the center console instead?

2. Remove Ads

If you can reach it in the console in time, carry there. If you can't then carry where you can conceal it, reach it if needed, and remember to remove it (until the CHL comes in) and put it away safely.

The LEO probably saw how you did a start/stop and wanted to make sure you were "OK" to be driving.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post
    The other night I was driving around and came up to a four way stop. I had completed my stop and was proceeding through the intersection and a local cop was coming fast from my right. It didn't look like he was going to stop so I hit the brakes hard and stopped about a 1/3 of the way into the intersection. He managed to stop at the stop sign and I continued on my way. At this point he turns and it appears that he is following me, so I turn randomly at each road I come to making sure I use my blinker and such. He follows me for 3-4 turns and I guess he got bored and left. During this time I had my Glock 30sf in a MTAC on my right hip. I do not yet have my CHL, but it should be approved any day now I hope I live in Texas so it is legal to have it in my truck as long as it is concealed but do you think its a bad idea to have it on my hip? Should I keep it in the center console instead?
    For unlicensed car travel. This map is pretty clear on what you can and cant do in each state in your car.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Bumper; October 16th, 2008 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Attached graphic rather than having it linked.

Administrator
    The map is wrong about Ohio.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In Arkansas, you cannot carry on your body without a permit, even when in the vehicle. The law pretty much says you can have a weapon with you while on a "journey". You may have a loaded gun (weapon) next to you, under the seat, in the glove compartment, etc....... Also, the law does not elaborate on open or concealed. Most states that have concealed carry laws have nullified, or done away with non-specific laws concerning carrying of weapons. In your own words, you've answered your own question.....car carry is not people carry. If it's concealed on you instead of just concealed in the car, then you would be violating the law in my state.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO
    I don't think so. Even with the latest amendments and the castle doctrine now in effect, you still must have a ccl to "CARRY" loaded in your vehicle in OH. The transport fiasco has been cleared up a bit but still mandates unloaded or inaccessible if you are not liscensed to carry concealed. Yes, I know OH is technically an open carry state, But any municipality can over ride open carry and the Ohio revised code "2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle."says:

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

In Texas I don't think you can legally conceal a gun on your person inside your vehicle without a CHL. You might wanna double check that.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This is why I don't trust my freedoms to *.2A.com website maps and such sources of information.
    One does not know who on the backend has done the due diligence and if they are up to date or even complete in their analysis.

It's too easy to just go to your state of concern, check the laws specific to that state as provided _by the state_ off of the states own website (every state has as much) and to yourself re-check that every year to know for sure what's what and who's legal where, when, how and why.

I've seen errors at most every website of 2A 'info' that I've hit through the years.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    For unlicensed car travel. This map is pretty clear on what you can and cant do in each state in your car.
    <Note attached map, above>

is that correct for florida? My understanding was that with castle doctrine you could have it pretty much anywhere in the car as long as it was concealed, i had planned on velcroing a soft holster to the right hand side of the driver seat and covering it with a cloth.......can i do this?

btw, do not have CWL yet...still in the mail.

It sounds to me like the gun, carried on your person, concealed, in a vehicle, is OK by Texas state law.

Here's the exact Texas state law, interpret it how you will:

46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person
    commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or
    recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal
    knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the
    person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle
    that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person
    intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
    her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
    or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a
    Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance
    regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
    or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as
    defined by Section 71.01.

In Florida

In Florida you can carry in you car if you dont have a Permit so long as it is in a snapped holster and is Securely Encased,so it can be in your glove compartment,console,zippered pouch,or even in a shoebox so long as the ld is on it believe it or not.But can not be on your person unless you have a conceal weapons license.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Colorado Revised Statutes allow unlicensed vehicle carry

"CRS 18-12-204(3)(a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
    (I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or
    (II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state."

I don't understand the logic of states that permit handguns in your home or on your property but not in your vehicle.

NavyLT is correct

I body carried for a few months before I received my CHL last week. I carried from my home to the car and then from my car to my place of business. It is well within your rights in Texas as long as you are not a gang member or part of organized crime or felon.

That map is not clear (accurate) as to Nevada. You may carry in your vehicle in Nevada, open or concealed, anywhere in your vehicle except concealed on your person unless you have a permit.

Ken

VIP Member
    to answer your question about Texas...

you are legal to have the handgun in your vehicle or vehicle under your control, doesn't matter if its on your hip or in the glove box as long as its CONCEALED
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links