Stolen magazines during oil change - Page 3

Stolen magazines during oil change

This is a discussion on Stolen magazines during oil change within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In 1989 A Las Vegas Metro Detective left his issued duty pistol in his car at a car wash. He lost it. Apparently it was ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stolen magazines during oil change

In 1989 A Las Vegas Metro Detective left his issued duty pistol in his car at a car wash. He lost it. Apparently it was in his car when it went into the car wash but not there when it came out.

I had pulled into the car wash just ahead of 4 marked squad car running lights and sirens, and I had no idea what was going on. My pucker factor was high

The gun was never located

Whoa--my bad. The reg is an installation reg. Here's an excerpt:

"7. Transportation.
    a. Firearms may be transported onto, through, and/or on
    the installation only for the following reasons:
    (6) En route to an off post location."

This is exactly what I have been doing, however, I have come up with a better solution. My wife works between the post and the stepdaughter's house and does NOT drive through the post to get to work. She could carry my CCW legally through the post, though. The remaining issue, as I see it, is one of 'storage', which isn't dealt with at all in reference to someone in my situation who needs his CCW upon exit from another gate. My CCW class instructor taught--and continues to tell me--"I don't believe you will be in any trouble what so ever if you are transporting an unloaded firearm on and off the installation." He doesn't deal with the 'storage' issue either, which I have just discovered that it may all boil down to in the end.

The obvious solution is, if I am ever stopped and searched anywhere but on a random search at the gate, that I am enroute off post and stopped briefly at my office, the PX, etc., only briefly, which is also specifically ALLOWED in that reg.

But rather than risk--no, lie--about the fact that I would be 'storing' a weapon in my car all day while at work, now that I have discovered that 'storage' is the real problem, I have arrived at work today WITHOUT a 'stored' pistol in my trunk. My other problem is now solved too, as far as finding a good place to put my CCW in my IWB holster. That place is now determined, for better or worse, to be at my wife's Jeep in the courthouse parking lot. I'm thinking about getting with the Police Chief, whom my wife knows (she's the Mayor's Secretary) and letting him know my plan for parking lot packing. Don't know if this is a good idea or not, though.

Just as soon as I post this message I'm also ordering a large vehicle safe--thanks all for the safe links!

And finally, if all this resolution isn't enough, I HAVE found my 'lost' magazines. In trying to keep stuff out of view of the grandkids last week, I placed those two magazines into a jacket pocket that was in the trunk.

Now everything's peachy...except that I'm back to the 'ol stepdaughter/drug dealer problem...

Quote Originally Posted by MP45CDE View Post
    Yes, I have a CCW Permit.

It really stinks about the hoops I have to jump through to carry cencealed working on a military installation. After stopping after I leave post to hustle the pistol into my compact cart, load it, unbutton my shirt, and stuff it into the IWB holster in that cramped space really stinks. Then, if I need to go back on post with my grandkids in the car I have to be really sneaky and fast to get it out of the holster and into the trunk again without them seeing it and yelling, "What are you doing with the gun, Grandpa?!", which could be heard outside the car--and this actually happened once already.

My carry issues/dangers, as some of you may already know from other posts here, are that my grandkids live with a drug dealer, who lives with my step daughter, who is into drugs too. This guy she is letting live with her, his family is full of other drug dealers and murders. I have to pick up and deliver the kids just about every day from day care to their home, plus church on Sundays and Wednesdays. Any suggestions as to what could help this situation are appreciated, by the way!
    IMHO your step daughter needs help, "intervention". If she doesn't want help to get off the drugs, and get out of the situation she is living in, I would try to get coustody of the kids. She is going to lose them sooner or later. If you had costody of the kids, or if she was no longer in the situation she is now in, most of your problems in this area would be solved. No more chance of you getting caught on base with a weapon. You have a real problem, and I wish you the best of luck with it. It won't get any eaiser till things get better.

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    IMHO your step daughter needs help, "intervention". If she doesn't want help to get off the drugs, and get out of the situation she is living in, I would try to get coustody of the kids. She is going to lose them sooner or later. If you had costody of the kids, or if she was no longer in the situation she is now in, most of your problems in this area would be solved. No more chance of you getting caught on base with a weapon. You have a real problem, and I wish you the best of luck with it. It won't get any eaiser till things get better.

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!
    Agreed. We're way ahead of you, though. Legally, we cannot get the kids away from her. If we try and don't have the case locked up tight, she'll bolt with the kids--like she did once before. She left the state and we couldn't find her. Heck--even if we DID have a case locked up tight against her, she still might win. I see this problem like this: She has those kids illegally because of the life she lives--the laws that allow kids to be removed from their mothers are specifically intended for situations like this. But we cannot legally get them away from her because she has not been 'busted' yet. The law is working both for and against us...actually, the law, in essence, is NOT working, is it! Yes--I have looked into trying to discover a situation where a bust could be facilitated, but that then endangers everyone else in my family, not to mention that if I'm in danger I could wind up dead and unavailable to the rest of my family as the main provider. Not to mention the fact that if my wife found out my family would be destroyed in a divorce. There seems to be no way out of this mess...so we're putting it in God's hands (we've already had our hands in this mess for quite some time trying to fix things until now--and we have run out of ideas), which is where we should have put it much sooner anyway. This translates into doing things like NOT buying her a car until/unless she stops sceeming and lieing, NOT forcing or strong-arming her into doing the right thing for her kids, letting her screw up, etc.--basically, doing what the Bible says to do rather than stepping in and enabling her to continue manipulating life for the sake of the 'freedom' she says is hers, that she thinks she wants and needs. *She doesn't see that seeking her 'freedom' is hurting herself, her kids, her family, and any real friends she may have--and that her actions could kill her or her kids or other family members.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Is the ammunition a base policy thing? I always had ammo in my truck when I lived in Oklahoma, SP's never said anything about it. Of course that was prior to 9/11/01. As far as residents of the installation, unless regulations have changed, I thought if you lived in base housing you could have it in your residence. Just not allowed in the dormitory's.
    In my experience, posession of ammo is subject to base policy. At my current base, (an air guard base) any ammo is secured in the weapons vault until the owner leaves the installation. To my recollection, on active duty bases, you can have ammo in your residence, just no firearms. I'm 100% positive you cannot have ammo or firearms in the dorms, and about 85% that you can only have ammo in base housing. I can remember many a time when we checked a base housing resident's privately owned weapon into the armory for storage.

My boss had a .45 stolen out of his truck at the stereo shop he got all his work done at. He noticed it about a week after and reported it stolen. I went by the shop to ask about it and they all mentioned one ex-employee. The guy quit that same day the truck was in there. A week later the handgun was found on the guy after a convenience store robbery. That was 2 years ago...he still hasn't gotten it back

When I was stationed in Arizona, a few of the soldiers living on base went to the Provost Marshal and Base Commander for approval to keep their weapons in their house. The main reason was travel off post, but also the chance of wild animals in their yards (pretty common). Provost disagreed...3 Star General agreed. They got approval but were subject to spot checks by the MPs.
    The Armory was way out of the way to check your weapon in or out in relation to the housing area, and that presented a problem with trying to transport it off post. You had to drive right thru the middle of base in between the schools and past the PX to get there.
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links