Stolen magazines during oil change

This is a discussion on Stolen magazines during oil change within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to say right off the bat that I ALWAYS know where my guns/ammo/mags are--but I know that I also make mistakes. That said, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stolen magazines during oil change

I want to say right off the bat that I ALWAYS know where my guns/ammo/mags are--but I know that I also make mistakes.

That said, I think someone at the Pennzoil Quick Oil Change place stole a hi-cap mag and a 8rd mag from my car's center console. I say 'I think' this happened because, even though I have checked every place I ever keep them, I just can't believe that this has happened and I want to check again after work today.

I have been carrying now for about 3 months or so and I have a routine down. I can't carry on the Military Installation I work on so I put my pistol in the trunk and the mags in my center console every morning before I go to work. I HAVE to carry after work each day due to the danger involved in where I have to go after work, so I normally stop at a car wash to clean out my car and sneek my pistol into the car so I can load it and put it in my IWB carrier. This has become a real pain in the rear and, to me, places in danger a 'concealed' status. I know that some of you will tell me to just carry and never tell but there's this thing called a retirement check that I'm really fond of and a felony will cause it to stop getting to me.

Anyway, if this has happened, at this point, what can/should I do? The mags had hollowpoint ammo in them, if that makes any difference. Should I do a police report or can I get in trouble for having magazines with ammo in them unsecured in my car like that?
    Last edited by JD; October 14th, 2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Edited langauge workaround.

JD
    Administrator
    Mags are mags, they will hold FMJ or JHP, that's not an issue, nor is how you store them as I'm guessing you have a CCW Permit etc.

Report the issue to the manager at the oil change place, odds are there is text stating that they are not responsible for missing items, if they give you that, file a police report and contact the Better Business Bureau.

In the future, don't leave your materials where others can obtain them, if you have to drop of the car with the materials inside, get a small locker of some sorts, I prefer THESE to secure my sensitive items if I have to leave something in the car.

I'd double and triple check my car/house for the mags before going to the cops, but I think a talk with the manager is needed.

Yes, I have a CCW Permit.

It really stinks about the hoops I have to jump through to carry cencealed working on a military installation. After stopping after I leave post to hustle the pistol into my compact cart, load it, unbutton my shirt, and stuff it into the IWB holster in that cramped space really stinks. Then, if I need to go back on post with my grandkids in the car I have to be really sneaky and fast to get it out of the holster and into the trunk again without them seeing it and yelling, "What are you doing with the gun, Grandpa?!", which could be heard outside the car--and this actually happened once already.

My carry issues/dangers, as some of you may already know from other posts here, are that my grandkids live with a drug dealer, who lives with my step daughter, who is into drugs too. This guy she is letting live with her, his family is full of other drug dealers and murders. I have to pick up and deliver the kids just about every day from day care to their home, plus church on Sundays and Wednesdays. Any suggestions as to what could help this situation are appreciated, by the way!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I been carrying many 25+ years. I never leave ammo, mags or even my tactical flashlights in my car at night at my home or when someone else has my keys or access to my vehicle without me present. Sorry for the loss......at least they didn't get a gun.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

If it is not on your person, locked in your safe or nailed/glued/bolted down, there is a very high probability it will be stolen. Never leave anything in you car when it is unattended. Cars get broken into every few seconds - leaving stuff in an unlock car is evn more tempting.
    WATCH YOUR "STUFF"! Things evaporate.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Administrator
    I wouldnt trust any quicky oil change place to oil the chain on my bicycle, let alone an automobile and its contents.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I been carrying many 25+ years. I never leave ammo, mags or even my tactical flashlights in my car at night at my home or when someone else has my keys or access to my vehicle without me present. Sorry for the loss......at least they didn't get a gun.
    Bingo.

There is no good reason to leave magazines and/or ammunition sitting around unsecured in your car. Especially to forget about them upon transfer of possession of that car to some other persons.

20+ yrs. ago when I was in HS (10th grade) I had a job as a 'porter' at a car dealership and part of our job was to wash customer cars that came in on Saturdays. Our dealership had a free hand wash deal for any owner of vehicles bought from our dealership. This also extended to all employees of the dealership.
    One day myself and another were washing the car of a relatively new salesman employee. As I was washing the outside the second was vacuuming the interior and cleaning the glass from the inside. In that process the secondary who was just a kid like me had first come across a marijuana bowl that was placed in the owners ashtray. We talked about it, emptied the ashtray and went back to work.
    Next while attempting to pull the floor mats and vacuum them a revolver is located from underneath the passenger seat. This gave us pause. Neither of us wanted to touch it but now it was pulled out in plain view to the rear behind the seat as it rode on the mat.
    We stopped work, I went and got the employee and brought him back to his car to show him what we'd found and the bowl too. He apologized and I'll never forget...that dude tipped us both twenty dollar bills!
    This was 1986 in the midst of Reaganomics and money was tight. A normal tip for us was $0.50 and 'rich people' would give us a dollar a piece.
    Lessons learned from that car washing experience though...Don't leave valuables in your car because not all washers were honest like we were. Don't leave unlawful materials in cars because some folks will tell and others may steal it from you. Don't leave firearms (and associated parts of value) in your car unsecured because odds of it being taken are great. To this day before I drop my car off for service or hand it over to anyone I clear it of all valuables first including tapes & CDs.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Word to the wise - stay in your car when you go to one of those quickie oil change places. If they insist you get out, then always keep an eye on them. I've been taken several times in the past by those places when I lived up north. One time they destroyed my transmission. I made them pay for a new one.

Better to just get a set of lifts and change your own oil.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

VIP Member
    Have to agree with what JD said 100%. You might want to look at getting 2 of the safes though. You can keep your mags secured in one, and the gun secured in the other one inside your trunk.

I know that some of you will tell me to just carry and never tell but there's this thing called a retirement check that I'm really fond of and a felony will cause it to stop getting to me.
    Even transportation locked and secured in your vehicle is not authorized on base. Unless you know of some regulation I have not been able to find. If not you are still placing your retirement check in jeopardy if they search your vehicle and find it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

JD

+1 on those boxes JD they look like they would be great for slipping into the saddle bag on a bike.

VIP Member
    Just a thought, maybe you might want to invest a few bucks on a Center of Mass Gun safe? Center Of Mass Central
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I know that some of you will tell me to just carry and never tell but there's this thing called a retirement check that I'm really fond of and a felony will cause it to stop getting to me.
    I was going to say the same thing that Archer51 said. Read carefully that no weapons sign that should be posted in accordance with 18 USC 930. It probably says at the bottom that firearms must be declared to security prior to entry. If they do a random search of your vehicle and find it in the trunk, the least that they will do is turn you around and tell you to leave it at home.

The most they probably would do is remove your base driving priviliges and you would have to park outside the gate and walk.

The most the could do is secure your base access privileges period.

I don't know of any military base that allows persons to transport firearms in their vehicles strictly for self defense. Most bases allow it only for the purpose of sporting use on the base such as hunting or range use and most of the time those guns are required to be regisitered with base security. Also to and from base housing, but transport then is allowed only directly on and off base, no stops. Also, if they search your vehicle with dogs your likely to get a hit, especially if you have been recently and there is powder residue anywhere.

I would never leave anything like that in the open or visible. Many concealment options in any vehicle IMO. Contact the manager at the Quicky Lube for sure. Any theft of property from a vehicle should be reported. If the local management doesn't live up to your expectations, go to the next level of area manager, or franchise support, then take up the issue with local law enforcement. Loaded magazines by themselves should not be illegal in any way. Just make sure the mags were there and stolen instead of lost or misplaced. Good luck.

Sorry you lost your mags. Try only carrying one spare(on your person), unless you expect to get in a three mag reload firefight? You probably would not be able to get to spare mags unless they were on your person anyway. I don't trust anyone in or around my vehicle. I know a valet guys who says that the valets he works with just rummage through peoples stuff looking for goodies. It's very hard to prove anything unless you catch someone in the act. They don't care anyway, they can find another job in an afternoon. Don't trust anyone when it comes to your property! Also, it's not illegal to leave loaded mags in your vehicle. A loaded firearm might be illegal depending on your state laws. Cheap lesson, could have been your gun. Get a safe if you have to disarm for work.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

A word to the wise. Be careful of who's watching when you put your gun in the safe. I know you'll be very descrete. But, with more and more CCWing the BG's are watching people getting out of cars around places where you aren't allowed to carry and if they see you put something in a safe you can bet they'll break in as soon as you're out of sight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links