I'm On Fire!!..... - Page 2

I'm On Fire!!.....

This is a discussion on I'm On Fire!!..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PEEPING TOM BigJon seems to have a good rig for 'deep concealment', but don't disregard the 'Smart Carry' at smartcarry.com. This is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm On Fire!!.....

Quote Originally Posted by PEEPING TOM
    BigJon seems to have a good rig for 'deep concealment', but don't disregard the 'Smart Carry' at smartcarry.com.

This is the deep concealment I have been using for over a year now. I'm 5'-11" 190 lbs. 95% of the time I forget I'm even carrying and it's no mouse gun...Kimber Compact CDP in .45 with a backup mag.

I can sit for hours...walk for hours...I even will occasionally take a nap in the recliner...all with no discomfort. I love the deep concealment. I tried the IWB and OWB and couldn't stand having to always be aware of how I move or reached or bent over etc.

And after practice, it takes me about two seconds to draw and aquire sight picture. I have worn this set up to the lake in nothing but my swimsuit (no swimming...only barbequing) no shirt and nobody knew a thing.

The only printing is a little bulge by your strong side pocket (from the grip) but nobody goes around staring at the front of your pants...it's too awkward for them! If I'm standing in front of someone who's sitting I simply hook my thumb in my front pocket and my hand covers the bulge.

They now have one with an extra security pouch in the rear where I carry my emergency $.

Edited to add...I carry all day-every day.
    Yep. I used it when it was still Thunderwear. They've solld a bunch of 'em, so I know my experience is subjective. I suppose if some folks wear it long enough, theyl get used to it. I just never could, and that's why I was so pumped to find the kangaroo-type setup.

Best,
    Jon.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Jitmo,

Big Jon has a good idea with the Kangaroo carry...SmartCarry works well for me with Docker style pants. IWB holster works well also if you work alone and can wear appropriate clothing. I also have a "soft" briefcase in which I carry many items that print in an odd fashion (wall chargers, books, etc.). I have never been searched or questioned so far...hope you find a solution that works for you.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

I use one of these http://pagerpal.gunserver.com/
    and find it comfortable and easy to conceal.
    As for talking with the owner, that will let the cat out of the bag so to speak and then they might get suspicous and or start actively enforsing the policy. You have to consider what you will do if he asks "Do you now or have you carried a gun while at work"?
    Some say it is better to ask forgiveness than permission since once denied permission it is tough to ask for forgiveness.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

The Kangaroo looks intersting but my problem is laying on the floor for my job .. easyer to lay on the gun on your hip than taking it in the Ribs for me anyways..

I carry a Tuckable Desantis right now

How about an AZ-Sig-Rig
    home made.

I've thought about setting one up. It has a back support band can be explained away pretty easily. Sore back.

I work mostly out of my house and when i go into an office it is the Peoples Republic of New Jersey.

Thinking about this some more. There was a self defense incident with someone working in a motel or hotel (a CCW member) who also worked at a gun range.

The incident happened at the hotel/motel.
    He drew and fired (a glock of some model from either an IWB or Mexican) upon an armed BG. The BG was hit, noone else was injured and his judiscious use of force stopped the felony in progress. It was discussed in packing.org and had an entry in the civilian gun self-defense blog, http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefe...g/blogger.html

After a quick search, I could not find the direct references to the incident.

His thoughts of the incident was that it happened soooo fast. He commented that he was happy he did not have a holster w/ active retention (I am guessing thumb brake or some other form of active retention). He also said something about a coworker being somewhat in the line of sight of the BG which helped him draw. My impression of reading the posts was the he did not have much time at all to draw and fire.

I guess it goes to the fact that you don't need a gun often, BUT when you do, you need it RIGHT NOW!!

I guess the incident could have turned out different if he was drawing from a smart carry / belly band or ankle holster.

I just found the posts on packing.org due to the advanced search options on google (google is your friend).

Anyway, here is the link to the motel incident
    http://www.packing.org/community/gen...chatitem_18999
    Moderators, if it is verboten to post to other forums, pls. just remove.

thx.

Assistant Administrator
    Sojourner - this and other things have made me realize, more even than ever before - the very moment something should start going down we must employ some evasive manouver - whether backwards, sideways - anything but freeze.

All probably necessary to be able to have time to bring our weapon into play. We are almost certainly timing events in milli seconds - the leaway is minimal, if not non existent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhh we posted concurrently - at the same time even

No prob's with that sorta link - it is informational, much as a link to a news source. Thx for digging to find it.

BTW unless things have changed - Google is your friend for web searches, but not IIRC for gun rights!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Evasive moves. I am with that. I've trained in martial arts many years. One of the basics is to move off-line of an attack (45 degrees fwd / backward / right /left) and couter-attack at the same time.

I believe that a move at a 45 Degree angle is better than a pure forward or backward move (the BG will have to re-align sights or re-align gun for point shooting) IMO, with projectile weapons, the 45 degrees is not important, a pure 90 degrees sideways would probably be better (further off target), but my body is familiar w/ the 45 degree step-slide.

I've practiced moving off line (step - slide type of move) and counter an attack w/ empty hands/feet/elbows/knees. I also do this practice while drawing from concealment.

The more I read and learn, the more I try to standardize everything and minimize the # of defenses I practice (based on area of attack). Having too many counters to an attack will take time for your mind to decide which one to use.

IMO, the muscle memory and training of drawing from concealment AND proper footwork are paramount in defensive training. Along w/ mental preparation.

Assistant Administrator
    10.4 sojourner - this is another element I must include more in my movement training this coming year. We all should.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links