Defensive Carry banner

I'm On Fire!!.....

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  P95Carry 
#1 ·
......and what burns me is this: I work mid nites at a local motel in the same small town where i live. I've been here at this job for just 3 1/2 yrs or so and since i also have my ham license of 7 yrs I minitor radio/scanner activity continuously at work and home/car. Now, tonite there was another robbery of an Exxon station 'bout a mile from here. Stay with me here. Crime here is on the upswing (personal belief is due to rise of drug involvement in area) and daily crap happens anymore where used to.. just didn't. Now, when ohio passed it's CCW law, we were asked to sign a paper that stated even if we had our license, we were/not allowed to carry on property. Tonite after i'd heard the robbery, our local PD calls "to let me know". Also keep in mind the normal behavior for robbery is to give the crook whatever he desires. So here is my beef. If we can't be armed and we shouldn't argue with the crooks, why do PD even bother alerting us? Make sense? I guess being ex-Marine grunt has always taught me otherwise. I grew up with 6 siblings. We all had to share everything. Bedrooms, toys, clothes, so ownership to me IS a big deal. I feel wrong just to hand things over. I have had roomates in service that would take your lunch while your back was turned. Also as Paul wrote.."we wrestle not with flesh and blood, but with powers and principalities..". So it's the principal of the matter. Go figure. Thanx for vent. As i go against employer daily and disagree with most of my country, i am still here. But i feel better. Armed and unanxious.

See less See more
#4 ·
tough decision realy. If ya get caught there goes you job. If ya need the gun,well thats self explainatory. Been there myself. We had a unstable employee fired. He was prone to keeping a handgun(illegally) in his work area. For about a month after he was fired I was on edge and considerd carrying. Looking back, while nothing happened, I should have just carryed against co. policy.

#5 ·
I think that some companies have the no carry rule to keep them from getting sued if an employee does something stupid with the gun. It's then all on the employee and keep outta any legal problems that way.
If they allowed carry and the employee did something stupid then that would leave an opening for them to be sued.

They don't know what kind of underwear I'm wearing (or even if I'm wearing any) - I'd go with that thought for anything else I might have on too.

If this security cam video clip works it should help you decide what you should do:
http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1127466436

#7 ·
I feel your pain, bro. A suggestion here …

First, make a cost/benefit decision on whether you will carry nor not. Personally, I would probably carry.

If YOUR answer is also that you will carry, then do a second cost/benefit analysis on which direction and how far you want to go between quick accessibility on one end and depth of concealment on the other. If I were going to carry in your situation, I would go way, way over toward the depth-of-concealment end of the scale – I’d want to just have the gun on me, and I would sacrifice as much accessibility as I needed to get the gun completely hidden.

I tried for quite awhile to find a carry system that works well for the limited purpose of just having a decent-power gun on me all day and have it utterly invisible. I'm talking about a deep-concealment, BUG. As an analogy, I wanted a way to carry that way as constantly and unnoticeable by me as carrying my wallet, which meant I'd put it on at the beginning of the day, keep it there all day, not feel it there all day, and not have my pocket capacity diminished by it all day. For this system (not generally), reasonably quick access was desired but not a premium concern, since my purpose was to just have it on me and THOROUGLY concealed.

I have carried concealed handguns for many years, and I suppose I've tried as many different options and configurations as the next guy. My most common carry methods are pocket holster and IWB, tuckable and not. Thankfully, I'm large enough to have carried a holstered P220 holstered in my front pocket (believe it or not), and between the time that I sold my Springfield Micro and when my CombatMaster arrive and passed my break-in tests, I even carried a LTW Commander that way, as long as the pockets were deep enough, without it being obvious. Carrying in my pocket is great, except it leaves me with one less pocket to carry my other, non-defensive-junk in. Also, I suffered from that malady common to many and which some refer to as "The Gone Ass", meaning that on a sunny day, and with the sun in front of me, an observer can likely see my belt buckle from the back, and even a little weight can tend to drag my trou downward. In the case at hand, even a smaller holstered gun would likely draw attention.

So, what are the other options? Of course, there's the ankle holster. In Central Alabama, it is warm enough to wear shorts almost all year, and so that's not a constant option. Frankly, I have yet to find one that doesn't get visible when I sit, so that’s probably out for your purposes too. Frankly, the only use I still have for one is when I'm asleep in a hotel room.

So, then you have the belly bands. Personally, they either print, or they are uncomfortable - If I put them anywhere but at appendix, they print. If I put them at appendix, they are uncomfortable. No, I'm not fat, but I just continue to raise my eyebrow when even the most svelte, hard-bodied operator type tells me that he can stuff even an officer's model in at appendix and not have it mash something somewhere! Bottom line is that I can do it if I gotta, but I am always aware of its presence because it is, to me, uncomfortable. Also, in your case, you’ll always be subconsciously hiding it with your arm, and thereby drawing attention to it, and when you walk in to someone’s office, and that someone is sitting down, it’s right at their eye level.

So, then you have the Thunderwear type stuff, and that has never been even reasonably comfortable for me - at the very least, I have had to "adjust" myself like some jock football player every time I sat down, and in the end, I moved the Thunderwear up so that it went around the top of my abdomen to make it more comfortable, but then had to keep pulling it back up all day.

The reason I mentioned all these that didn’t work for me is to lend credence (I hope) when I say that I have found something that works - for me at least - I can carry a CombatMaster, 9mm Kahr, etc. in a manner that is completely concealed, very positive (no slop), and unnoticeable to me - even without an undershirt under it. The rig is shown at the following web site:

http://gunblast.com/Kangaroo.htm

This one is better than the one I originally bought in that this one’s straps do not come up around the neck where they are visible unless one wears a shirt with a buttoned collar.

This is basically an elastic, Velcro-closure, belly band but with suspender straps so that the belt is worn up under the armpits instead of at waist level. The weapon is in muzzle-down orientation, and I have found that carrying even a mid-sized pistol that way is almost like having a wallet - I put it on in the morning, it stays there all day, I don't feel it there all day, it doesn't take up room in my pockets I need for other things, it doesn't print, and it doesn't move, and so my daily activities don't have to be altered in any way. In fact, like my wallet, it gives me no reason to even notice that it's there.

The only real drawback is that drawing will probably be a bit slower than with IWB carry, but if I were in your situation, I could live with that.

I would think this would be a good option for you for the limited situation you are facing. It works very well for me, so I thought I’d pass it along.

Best,
Jon

#8 ·
I don't know, but from your story, it sounds like that COP thinks you're carrying anyway. Unless you two are just good friends, there doesn't seem to be any logic to them calling you other than to just chat. Is the papers that you signed for your company, or is it Ohio law or something that doesn't allow you to carry there?

I'd probably, at least, have a 'SMALL' .22 or something. Maybe a KT 32 (since the .380s don't seem to be dependable)

#9 · (Edited)
BigJon seems to have a good rig for 'deep concealment', but don't disregard the 'Smart Carry' at smartcarry.com.

This is the deep concealment I have been using for over a year now. I'm 5'-11" 190 lbs. 95% of the time I forget I'm even carrying and it's no mouse gun...Kimber Compact CDP in .45 with a backup mag.

I can sit for hours...walk for hours...I even will occasionally take a nap in the recliner...all with no discomfort. I love the deep concealment. I tried the IWB and OWB and couldn't stand having to always be aware of how I move or reached or bent over etc.

And after practice, it takes me about two seconds to draw and aquire sight picture. I have worn this set up to the lake in nothing but my swimsuit (no swimming...only barbequing) no shirt and nobody knew a thing.

The only printing is a little bulge by your strong side pocket (from the grip) but nobody goes around staring at the front of your pants...it's too awkward for them! If I'm standing in front of someone who's sitting I simply hook my thumb in my front pocket and my hand covers the bulge.

They now have one with an extra security pouch in the rear where I carry my emergency $.

Edited to add...I carry all day-every day.

#10 ·
A piece of paper is just that, you can always get another job, you can't get another life. I worken for a company that had a policy of no guns allowed on company property. I retired after 27 years , carried 26 on company property. What they don't know won't hurt them but may save your or someone elses life. I say carry paper be damed.

#11 ·
My son has a ''no guns'' policy at work tho I don't think he had to sign anything.

They do however, and very small bonus I guess, permit guns to be kept in cars on the lot - which is real close to building.

However, it will be for him to decide whether or not he does carry in. I just hate it tho when folks are so restricted.

#13 ·
Thanx guys for all the support. I do carry when i feel comfortable, such as when owner isn't around. Usually i'm by myself but this week he (owner) has stayed in a room here for whatever reason. I'm pretty good friends with him, too, and have been thinkin' about just setting down with him and explaining things to get his word on things. He is a very bright man (Phd: dentist, county commissioner, car wash owner, storage units, and now adding restaurant nearby). My point is he isn't an idiot and if i had to guess HE packs daily. Conservative Republican, you know the type. Anyway, the waiver was signed before he bought the businness, so he may be more lenient. Sorry to ramble, but trying to fill you in on history. He traets everyone here with the upmost respect and courtesy. And to be honest. there are some folks here even I wouldn't want handling a firearm. Me? I'm not around any other employees except to do shift change. We have been robbed 4 times in ten years. Not me personally, as they havn't tried in the last 4 yrs or so. But, yeah, i carry about 3 out of five nights, especially on weekends, just so much to consider these days. Thanx again for the advice and support. After all, I can't sell any rooms if i'm dead, right?:knockedout:

#14 ·
Oh, and yes, i'm pretty good buddies with the night shift police srgt. who also is the cities canine handler. He, unlike some of them, does a greta job and comes here anytime i ask for him to. He helps me, i help him. Period. So, i'm not worried as much as i may sound, just i have always been on guard every since that first fire watch at Parris Island. HEEhee. I'm a good citizen and don't want that to change just because i have good sense. Wow, what a country.

#16 ·
PEEPING TOM said:
BigJon seems to have a good rig for 'deep concealment', but don't disregard the 'Smart Carry' at smartcarry.com.

This is the deep concealment I have been using for over a year now. I'm 5'-11" 190 lbs. 95% of the time I forget I'm even carrying and it's no mouse gun...Kimber Compact CDP in .45 with a backup mag.

I can sit for hours...walk for hours...I even will occasionally take a nap in the recliner...all with no discomfort. I love the deep concealment. I tried the IWB and OWB and couldn't stand having to always be aware of how I move or reached or bent over etc.

And after practice, it takes me about two seconds to draw and aquire sight picture. I have worn this set up to the lake in nothing but my swimsuit (no swimming...only barbequing) no shirt and nobody knew a thing.

The only printing is a little bulge by your strong side pocket (from the grip) but nobody goes around staring at the front of your pants...it's too awkward for them! If I'm standing in front of someone who's sitting I simply hook my thumb in my front pocket and my hand covers the bulge.

They now have one with an extra security pouch in the rear where I carry my emergency $.

Edited to add...I carry all day-every day.
Yep. I used it when it was still Thunderwear. They've solld a bunch of 'em, so I know my experience is subjective. I suppose if some folks wear it long enough, theyl get used to it. I just never could, and that's why I was so pumped to find the kangaroo-type setup.

Best,
Jon.

#17 ·
Jitmo,

Big Jon has a good idea with the Kangaroo carry...SmartCarry works well for me with Docker style pants. IWB holster works well also if you work alone and can wear appropriate clothing. I also have a "soft" briefcase in which I carry many items that print in an odd fashion (wall chargers, books, etc.). I have never been searched or questioned so far...hope you find a solution that works for you.

#18 ·
I use one of these http://pagerpal.gunserver.com/
and find it comfortable and easy to conceal.
As for talking with the owner, that will let the cat out of the bag so to speak and then they might get suspicous and or start actively enforsing the policy. You have to consider what you will do if he asks "Do you now or have you carried a gun while at work"?
Some say it is better to ask forgiveness than permission since once denied permission it is tough to ask for forgiveness.

#21 ·
Thinking about this some more. There was a self defense incident with someone working in a motel or hotel (a CCW member) who also worked at a gun range.

The incident happened at the hotel/motel.
He drew and fired (a glock of some model from either an IWB or Mexican) upon an armed BG. The BG was hit, noone else was injured and his judiscious use of force stopped the felony in progress. It was discussed in packing.org and had an entry in the civilian gun self-defense blog, http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html

After a quick search, I could not find the direct references to the incident.

His thoughts of the incident was that it happened soooo fast. He commented that he was happy he did not have a holster w/ active retention (I am guessing thumb brake or some other form of active retention). He also said something about a coworker being somewhat in the line of sight of the BG which helped him draw. My impression of reading the posts was the he did not have much time at all to draw and fire.

I guess it goes to the fact that you don't need a gun often, BUT when you do, you need it RIGHT NOW!!

I guess the incident could have turned out different if he was drawing from a smart carry / belly band or ankle holster.

#23 ·
Sojourner - this and other things have made me realize, more even than ever before - the very moment something should start going down we must employ some evasive manouver - whether backwards, sideways - anything but freeze.

All probably necessary to be able to have time to bring our weapon into play. We are almost certainly timing events in milli seconds - the leaway is minimal, if not non existent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhh we posted concurrently - at the same time even :wink:

No prob's with that sorta link - it is informational, much as a link to a news source. Thx for digging to find it.

BTW unless things have changed - Google is your friend for web searches, but not IIRC for gun rights!

#24 ·
Evasive moves. I am with that. I've trained in martial arts many years. One of the basics is to move off-line of an attack (45 degrees fwd / backward / right /left) and couter-attack at the same time.

I believe that a move at a 45 Degree angle is better than a pure forward or backward move (the BG will have to re-align sights or re-align gun for point shooting) IMO, with projectile weapons, the 45 degrees is not important, a pure 90 degrees sideways would probably be better (further off target), but my body is familiar w/ the 45 degree step-slide.

I've practiced moving off line (step - slide type of move) and counter an attack w/ empty hands/feet/elbows/knees. I also do this practice while drawing from concealment.

The more I read and learn, the more I try to standardize everything and minimize the # of defenses I practice (based on area of attack). Having too many counters to an attack will take time for your mind to decide which one to use.

IMO, the muscle memory and training of drawing from concealment AND proper footwork are paramount in defensive training. Along w/ mental preparation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.