Car Carry in Minnesota/???

This is a discussion on Car Carry in Minnesota/??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK-- traveling from TX to MN. There is license reciprocity. Because I will be going through IOWA, gun will need to be locked in trunk ...

Thread: Car Carry in Minnesota/???

VIP Member

Car Carry in Minnesota/???

OK-- traveling from TX to MN. There is license reciprocity.

Because I will be going through IOWA, gun will need to be locked in trunk while in IA. (That is O.K. as Iowa law stipulates that it is O.K.)

NOW, the way I read MN law, it is unlawful for unlicensed possession in a car--and my unlicensed wife will be with me.

Does that mean that immediately on entering MN I need to retrieve the gun from the trunk and personally carry? OR, is it technically OK to continue on the journey so long as the gun is in the trunk?

My concern, an odd situation could develop in which for whatever reason my wife might be viewed as having possession of a gun without a license. (Because MN is the destination, I don't think the Federal travel rule would apply.)

Anyone see the potential dilemma? Or am I reading something into the law that isn't really there. And other than stopping at the border and retrieving the gun from the trunk, how would you handle this?

2. Remove Ads

I'd just carry it on me if your licensed to do so, or keep it in the trunk if your not.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I dont know if this will help at all... but when my carry gun is always on me and loaded... but if its not on me I keep them in the trunk unloaded and in a case..

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    When you get to MN, you're fine to leave the gun in the trunk. Make sure its totally encased, unloaded and the ammo seperate. If you have reciprocity, then you can re-holster your weapon, however, dont leave the gun in the sole presence of your wife (she's unlicensed). You have the permit, you must be where the gun is or take it with you.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    I got an interesting answer from the MN DPS. Basically, yes, leave it unloaded and totally encased in the trunk, unless wearing it on one's person.

But, the statute specifies that it must be a case expressly made to encase a firearm.

"(1) unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, and the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and without any portion of the firearm exposed;
    (2) unloaded and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or"

My luck, I had bought a locking metal case, not specifically made for encasing a firearm, for the Iowa portion of my trip, and planned to place my holster and gun in there. But, I do have the original case the gun came in, so I guess I will be good to go. Anyway, it will all be locked inside a suitcase; so it would take a very unusual set of circumstances for it to ever be detected, and I will be legal. As soon as I cross the border and can pull over, I'll re-holster making sure my wife stands at a considerable distance away as I do the transition, and that no one can observe.

The odd thing is that the case the gun came in can be easily ripped open, it is cloth, whereas the metal case I had purchased would take some work, though it isn't a gun safe.

Supertac45 and ouch...

What they said...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I got an interesting answer from the MN DPS. Basically, yes, leave it unloaded and totally encased in the trunk, unless wearing it on one's person.

But, the statute specifies that it must be a case expressly made to encase a firearm.

"(1) unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, and the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and without any portion of the firearm exposed;
    (2) unloaded and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or"

My luck, I had bought a locking metal case, not specifically made for encasing a firearm, for the Iowa portion of my trip, and planned to place my holster and gun in there. But, I do have the original case the gun came in, so I guess I will be good to go. Anyway, it will all be locked inside a suitcase; so it would take a very unusual set of circumstances for it to ever be detected, and I will be legal. As soon as I cross the border and can pull over, I'll re-holster making sure my wife stands at a considerable distance away as I do the transition, and that no one can observe.

The odd thing is that the case the gun came in can be easily ripped open, it is cloth, whereas the metal case I had purchased would take some work, though it isn't a gun safe.
    Unloaded gun in the trunk while going through Iowa. That what I do when going the other way.

In MN, you need the gun unloaded and in a case secured (no lock required) but ammo separate but mags can be loaded. If you have a carry permit (MN does not require concealed so no issue exposing the gun by accident). If you have the gun on you or near you, there is no issue with your wife not being licensed. If you have a carry permit recognized by MN, your gun can even be loaded and in your trunk when in MN.

Here is a one page link made by the major Carry licensing organization you can look at that gives you a good over view of our laws. Print it out and keep it with you.

http://www.madfi.org/post/fact_sheet.pdf

Hope this helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Your destination is your final point of arrival, not when you cross state lines. You cant put it in your trunk at your house when you leave and get it out when you get to where ever you are going in MN and the Federal law will cover you.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post

In MN, you need the gun unloaded and in a case secured (no lock required) but ammo separate but mags can be loaded. If you have a carry permit (MN does not require concealed so no issue exposing the gun by accident). If you have the gun on you or near you, there is no issue with your wife not being licensed. If you have a carry permit recognized by MN, your gun can even be loaded and in your trunk when in MN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post

When you get to MN, you're fine to leave the gun in the trunk. Make sure its totally encased, unloaded and the ammo seperate. You have the permit, you must be where the gun is or take it with you.
    MNBurl is correct, he basically reiterated what I said. As long as your firearm is encased and unloaded in the trunk, it will be treated as any other firearm in the state until you decide to "carry" it. Then, it falls under the MN Concealed Carry Laws.

The statute MNBurl quoted is the same law listed in the MN Game Laws;

https://webrh12.revisor.leg.state.mn...sport+firearms

_
    Last edited by Rcher; October 14th, 2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: ETA: MN Statute
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Links