If storing in your glovebox.

This is a discussion on If storing in your glovebox. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bad Monkey Speaking of gloveboxes.. I just took my CCW class last week and the instructor told us a story to illustrate ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If storing in your glovebox.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    Speaking of gloveboxes..

I just took my CCW class last week and the instructor told us a story to illustrate how CCW laws differ between states, even those with reciprocity, and why you need to know the law where you plan on carrying.

A North Carolina State Trooper was on vacation and traveling in South Carolina. He was pulled over for speeding by a SC State Trooper and notified the trooper that he was an off-duty NC trooper and had his CHL permit and was armed. The SC trooper said OK, ran his license and came back to the car with the ticket and said, "by the way, sir. Where is your weapon located?" The NC trooper responded: "oh it's in the glovebox." The SC trooper then placed him under arrest.

Apparently in SC if you are carrying then the weapon must be on your person.

I don't know if the story is BS but it got the point across.

it is nonsense.

In SC the gun can be on you with CWP...

... or has to be in the Glove box, console or trunk for ANYONE. Not even just for someone that has a CWP and it also extends to non residents.

So the story is about some other state, if it is true at all. It is not about SC.

SC even has a specific law that says that going into the glove box to retrieve your Registration and Proof of insurance is NOT brandishing.

In SC you are only required to identify if you are Concealed carrying. The Glove box is not concealed carry in SC. If its in the Glove box (etc) then you are not required to identify if you have a CWP.

It would be wise to advise the officer before you went into the glove box though. Not a bad idea... but not required by law in SC.

2. Remove Ads

I call BS on the story too, not because I know anything about SC's carry laws, but because I have a hard time imagining a fellow trooper from a neighboring state reacting that way. Unless the guy was going like 120mph, driving erratically, and being a jerk or something, which seems unlikely, a SC trooper probably wouldn't even write him a ticket, let alone arrest him for that kind of thing. It sounds to me like a story made up to drive home a very valid point about knowing the laws where you travel, but I think they could do a better job with coming up with a believable and accurate story!
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    it is nonsense.

In SC the gun can be on you with CWP...

... or has to be in the Glove box, console or trunk for ANYONE. Not even just for someone that has a CWP and it also extends to non residents.

So the story is about some other state, if it is true at all. It is not about SC.

SC even has a specific law that says that going into the glove box to retrieve your Registration and Proof of insurance is NOT brandishing.

In SC you are only required to identify if you are Concealed carrying. The Glove box is not concealed carry in SC. If its in the Glove box (etc) then you are not required to identify if you have a CWP.
    Thanks. I figured someone here from SC could call BS for sure on it if that was the case. It also seemed odd that there would be no honor among brother officers for an offense that seemed so technical. It was definitely SC in his story however. He remarked at the end of the story that he often crosses the border into SC and doesn't always remember to take his firearm out of the glovebox.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

In AZ you can have it anywhere in your car, however if it is immediately accessible by a non-CCW permitee or a minor then you got a problem. Stash it in the center console. That's OK if you are alone, but if your teenage kid is in the passenger seat that is not good.

Solution: keep the gun on your person.

If you can't or don't want to hard mount a box in the car then check out Center Of Mass Central

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    Thanks. I figured someone here from SC could call BS for sure on it if that was the case. It also seemed odd that there would be no honor among brother officers for an offense that seemed so technical. It was definitely SC in his story however. He remarked at the end of the story that he often crosses the border into SC and doesn't always remember to take his firearm out of the glovebox.

Well... he must just be confused. His point is good but his example, using a neighboring state, is fraught with problems because it is erroneous.

Just so you know I will quote and link the SC law on this subject of car carry

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

*** note these are exceptions to unlawful carry and I have omitted all but the relevant two***

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee’s person and a location specified in item (9);

Found here:

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

And as to notifying IF he had been concealed carrying (doesn't sound like he was)... he would have been subject to this since NC and SC have reciprocity he would be obligated, while in SC to do this (which he indeed did even though he was not concealed carrying)

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder.

and FYI, Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23 happens to be the SC Concealed Weapons permit laws....

also found here:

S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.net-LPITS

It actually doesn't even sound like "Hypothetical Officer" needed to identify that he had a gun in the Glove box nor that he as a Concealed Weapons holder since he was not carrying concealed persuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23 but even if he did not and was not a Concealed Weapons permit holder, since the gun was in a closed glove box, he was not breaking ANY SC law nor required to disclose anything at all.

"If one cop is giving another cop a hard time, one of them is an idiot." That's not exactly how I heard it, but it's printable...

Does anyone keep gloves in their glove compartment?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

In Sept 2007, Texas changed it's "Traveling" law, which allows one to carry a weapon while traveling (but the Interpretation of the law was wide and varied) So, you may or may nor go to jail based on the LEO that stops you. The new law says :

H.B. 1815 Traveling & Unlicensed Carry

• Allows the unlicensed carrying of a concealed handgun inside or directly en route to the person's motor vehicle.

Amends Section 46.02, Penal Code to add Subsection (a-1) and (a-2):
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife or club if the person is not: (1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control at any time in which: (1) the handgun is in plain view; or (2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic:
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, “premises” includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, “recreational vehicle” means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

Amends Section 46.15(b): In pertinent part:
    (b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
    (2) is traveling:
    (3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor’s residence or motor vehicle, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity....
    Repeals Section 46.15(h), Penal Code (defining 'recreational vehicle' as a residence) and Section 46.15(i) (the "traveling presumption").
    You can never have "too much" ammo...

VIP Member
    I was driving from GA to NC a few weeks back. When I went thru SC I put it in the glove compartment. I read that was legal as I don't have a SC permit. I was legal to carry in GA and NC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links