Defensive Carry banner

If storing in your glovebox.

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  ccman 
#1 ·
When I leave my carry piece in the car I leave it in the locked glovebox. I have a lockbox that I can mount in the vehicle. However the car is for sale and I had to remove it. (I dont want to have to explain to people what its for)

Anyway. Just a note.
If you store your firearm or knife or anything else that a LEO may perceive as a weapon. I suggest you store your registration and insurance elsewhere. I happened to be at a drive thru and had to open my glove box for my "emergency" money as all I had were large bills and as I opened it I realized the girl had walked up to the window as I was opening the glove box. By the look in her eyes I could tell she saw it. I didnt say anything just closed it as quick as I could. I completed the transaction and left. I kind of expected a run in with LEO after that but nothing happened.

#4 ·
I'm sure you've heard this before, but I'd never make a habit of leaving my weapon in the car...it' going to be on my person.
If it's in the car for a short time because of legalities, it's back on my person when I exit the place that would not let me carry.

Stay armed...OMO...stay safe!

#5 ·
I usually leave my gun, insurance and registration together in the glove box(Vermont) . I was pulled over for speeding and I left my hands on the wheel, when he asked for the usual papers I informed him that they were in the glove box with my firearm(gave him the make and caliber). I gave him my license and left with a warning. I was asked by one LEO why I needed a gun (I was barley 21 at the time), which I thought was strange, however I resisted the urge to make a smart ass remark and gave the usual " exercising my second amendment rights sir" everything has worked out well so far keeping firearms and papers together. Honesty and no quick movements is my policy

#7 ·
I made a huge mistake by storing in my glove box. I have learned my lesson and have taken steps to keep this from happening again. I hope I don't get hounded to much for my mistake:argue:, but here is my story. Awhile ago my brother-in law passed away. The day of his funeral I took my carry gun with me, because in MI you can not carry in a church building without the head ministers permission I decided to put my M&P in my glove box when I left my house, because I did not want to have to un tuck and re tuck my shirt in when I got to the church building. I went from my house to my Mother-in laws before heading to the church building. Once at my Mother-in laws I locked my glove box. I ended up going with my sister-in laws boyfriend to get some umbrellas, because it was going to rain. We took his car, and I wasn't wearing my holster so I left my M&P locked in the glove box. Well when I got back from the store my car was gone. Come to find out my wife lent her sister the car to go pick up at friend:twak::slap:. I knew instantly that I had fubar. Luckily nothing happened. I made it a point to never just lock it in the glove box again. I went out and bought a COM lock box the next day, and always have my M&P on my body until I have to take it off by law, at that point in goes into the COM. I am sharing this so any newbies (like myself) won't make this mistake.

#8 ·
Agree. I always carry unless I have to go into somewhere it is prohibited. Then gun in Gun Safe in trunk with cable to frame and ammo in my pocket. If wife has to drive car, she is then legal.

#10 ·
I'm sure you've heard this before, but I'd never make a habit of leaving my weapon in the car...it' going to be on my person.
If it's in the car for a short time because of legalities, it's back on my person when I exit the place that would not let me carry.
I had just left the courthouse and entered a drive thru 50 yds away. I didnt want to reholster in the parking lot of the courthouse/sheriffs office or while driving.

#11 ·
I keep my proof of insurance and registration in a clip above my visor. If I get pulled over, I already have my DL and CCW permit out by the time the LEO gets to my window. If he asks for insurance and registration, its right in plain view above my head.

I rarely have a pistol in my glovebox but if I do, the LEO shouldnt be alarmed because I wont open it unless requested.

_

#12 ·
I keep my proof of insurance and registration in a clip above my visor. If I get pulled over, I already have my DL and CCW permit out by the time the LEO gets to my window. If he asks for insurance and registration, its right in plain view above my head.

I rarely have a pistol in my glovebox but if I do, the LEO shouldnt be alarmed because I wont open it unless requested.
Ditto. My visor has a clear plastic document holder built in, that's where my 2nd insurance card and registration stays. If I do carry a gun in the car, as opposed to on my body, it's in the center console where I wouldn't need to be reaching anyway. DL and CCW are already in hand by the time he walks up. I've only been pulled over once while carrying, but have been through several roadblock checkpoints. None ever expressed any concern about a gun, they just handed the CCW back to me as they examined the license and insurance.

#13 ·
In Texas as long as you can own a firearm you can have one concealed in the vehicle under the safe motorist act.I do not leave a gun in my car unless I am going into someplace I can't carry and usually reholster as soon as possible

#14 ·
Speaking of gloveboxes..

I just took my CCW class last week and the instructor told us a story to illustrate how CCW laws differ between states, even those with reciprocity, and why you need to know the law where you plan on carrying.

A North Carolina State Trooper was on vacation and traveling in South Carolina. He was pulled over for speeding by a SC State Trooper and notified the trooper that he was an off-duty NC trooper and had his CHL permit and was armed. The SC trooper said OK, ran his license and came back to the car with the ticket and said, "by the way, sir. Where is your weapon located?" The NC trooper responded: "oh it's in the glovebox." The SC trooper then placed him under arrest.

Apparently in SC if you are carrying then the weapon must be on your person.

I don't know if the story is BS but it got the point across.

The paperwork I received from the local Sheriff's office when I filled out my CHL application states that when approached by any LEO I am to state that I have a CHL, whether or not I am armed and if I am armed - the location of the firearm, in that order. I am not to present anything unless asked to do so. If I am in a car, I am to keep my hands on the steering wheel until directed otherwise.

#15 ·
The paperwork I received from the local Sheriff's office when I filled out my CHL application states that when approached by any LEO I am to state that I have a CHL, whether or not I am armed and if I am armed - the location of the firearm, in that order. I am not to present anything unless asked to do so. If I am in a car, I am to keep my hands on the steering wheel until directed otherwise.
100% correct. Got the exact same statement when I took my class.
Instructor also advised to roll (up or down) the driver side window to half mast.

#17 ·
I call BS on the story too, not because I know anything about SC's carry laws, but because I have a hard time imagining a fellow trooper from a neighboring state reacting that way. Unless the guy was going like 120mph, driving erratically, and being a jerk or something, which seems unlikely, a SC trooper probably wouldn't even write him a ticket, let alone arrest him for that kind of thing. It sounds to me like a story made up to drive home a very valid point about knowing the laws where you travel, but I think they could do a better job with coming up with a believable and accurate story!

#19 ·
In AZ you can have it anywhere in your car, however if it is immediately accessible by a non-CCW permitee or a minor then you got a problem:nono:. Stash it in the center console. That's OK if you are alone, but if your teenage kid is in the passenger seat that is not good.

Solution: keep the gun on your person.

If you can't or don't want to hard mount a box in the car then check out Center Of Mass Central

#21 ·
And as to notifying IF he had been concealed carrying (doesn't sound like he was)... he would have been subject to this since NC and SC have reciprocity he would be obligated, while in SC to do this (which he indeed did even though he was not concealed carrying)

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder.

and FYI, Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23 happens to be the SC Concealed Weapons permit laws....

also found here:

S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.net-LPITS

It actually doesn't even sound like "Hypothetical Officer" needed to identify that he had a gun in the Glove box nor that he as a Concealed Weapons holder since he was not carrying concealed persuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23 but even if he did not and was not a Concealed Weapons permit holder, since the gun was in a closed glove box, he was not breaking ANY SC law nor required to disclose anything at all.

#24 ·
In Sept 2007, Texas changed it's "Traveling" law, which allows one to carry a weapon while traveling (but the Interpretation of the law was wide and varied) So, you may or may nor go to jail based on the LEO that stops you. The new law says :

H.B. 1815 Traveling & Unlicensed Carry

• Allows the unlicensed carrying of a concealed handgun inside or directly en route to the person's motor vehicle.

Amends Section 46.02, Penal Code to add Subsection (a-1) and (a-2):
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife or club if the person is not: (1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control at any time in which: (1) the handgun is in plain view; or (2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic:
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, “premises” includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, “recreational vehicle” means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

Amends Section 46.15(b): In pertinent part:
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(2) is traveling:
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor’s residence or motor vehicle, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity....
Repeals Section 46.15(h), Penal Code (defining 'recreational vehicle' as a residence) and Section 46.15(i) (the "traveling presumption").

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.