If storing in your glovebox.

This is a discussion on If storing in your glovebox. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I leave my carry piece in the car I leave it in the locked glovebox. I have a lockbox that I can mount in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When I leave my carry piece in the car I leave it in the locked glovebox. I have a lockbox that I can mount in the vehicle. However the car is for sale and I had to remove it. (I dont want to have to explain to people what its for)

Anyway. Just a note.
    If you store your firearm or knife or anything else that a LEO may perceive as a weapon. I suggest you store your registration and insurance elsewhere. I happened to be at a drive thru and had to open my glove box for my "emergency" money as all I had were large bills and as I opened it I realized the girl had walked up to the window as I was opening the glove box. By the look in her eyes I could tell she saw it. I didnt say anything just closed it as quick as I could. I completed the transaction and left. I kind of expected a run in with LEO after that but nothing happened.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    It things like this that make you wonder......why did I do this?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by JammanX View Post
    I suggest you store your registration and insurance elsewhere.
    That's exactly why I started keeping a copy of my insurance card in my wallet..I also keep a copy in my glovebox along with a kel-tec.
    It's ok, this is Texas, we can do that here...

I'm sure you've heard this before, but I'd never make a habit of leaving my weapon in the car...it' going to be on my person.
    If it's in the car for a short time because of legalities, it's back on my person when I exit the place that would not let me carry.

Stay armed...OMO...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I usually leave my gun, insurance and registration together in the glove box(Vermont) . I was pulled over for speeding and I left my hands on the wheel, when he asked for the usual papers I informed him that they were in the glove box with my firearm(gave him the make and caliber). I gave him my license and left with a warning. I was asked by one LEO why I needed a gun (I was barley 21 at the time), which I thought was strange, however I resisted the urge to make a smart ass remark and gave the usual " exercising my second amendment rights sir" everything has worked out well so far keeping firearms and papers together. Honesty and no quick movements is my policy

Quote Originally Posted by bigmike13 View Post
    I usually leave my gun, insurance and registration together in the glove box(Vermont) . I was pulled over for speeding and I left my hands on the wheel, when he asked for the usual papers I informed him that they were in the glove box with my firearm(gave him the make and caliber). I gave him my license and left with a warning. I was asked by one LEO why I needed a gun (I was barley 21 at the time), which I thought was strange, however I resisted the urge to make a smart ass remark and gave the usual " exercising my second amendment rights sir" everything has worked out well so far keeping firearms and papers together. Honesty and no quick movements is my policy
    I've been advised by one very wisened LEO that I lead with:"I have a permit and a gun" as apposed to:"I have a gun" as some "young-uns" (his words) might not hear the permit part. And after attending my uncle's police graduation I agree.
    Mykel

more later...

I made a huge mistake by storing in my glove box. I have learned my lesson and have taken steps to keep this from happening again. I hope I don't get hounded to much for my mistake, but here is my story. Awhile ago my brother-in law passed away. The day of his funeral I took my carry gun with me, because in MI you can not carry in a church building without the head ministers permission I decided to put my M&P in my glove box when I left my house, because I did not want to have to un tuck and re tuck my shirt in when I got to the church building. I went from my house to my Mother-in laws before heading to the church building. Once at my Mother-in laws I locked my glove box. I ended up going with my sister-in laws boyfriend to get some umbrellas, because it was going to rain. We took his car, and I wasn't wearing my holster so I left my M&P locked in the glove box. Well when I got back from the store my car was gone. Come to find out my wife lent her sister the car to go pick up at friend. I knew instantly that I had fubar. Luckily nothing happened. I made it a point to never just lock it in the glove box again. I went out and bought a COM lock box the next day, and always have my M&P on my body until I have to take it off by law, at that point in goes into the COM. I am sharing this so any newbies (like myself) won't make this mistake.

Agree. I always carry unless I have to go into somewhere it is prohibited. Then gun in Gun Safe in trunk with cable to frame and ammo in my pocket. If wife has to drive car, she is then legal.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Mine is on me at all times legal. Occasionally, it does have to go into the glove box. I am looking to get a trunk-mount lock box to make life easier. Not sure how much use it would get, but if i get one that's FAA approved, could come in handy for traveling.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but I'd never make a habit of leaving my weapon in the car...it' going to be on my person.
    If it's in the car for a short time because of legalities, it's back on my person when I exit the place that would not let me carry.
    I had just left the courthouse and entered a drive thru 50 yds away. I didnt want to reholster in the parking lot of the courthouse/sheriffs office or while driving.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I keep my proof of insurance and registration in a clip above my visor. If I get pulled over, I already have my DL and CCW permit out by the time the LEO gets to my window. If he asks for insurance and registration, its right in plain view above my head.

I rarely have a pistol in my glovebox but if I do, the LEO shouldnt be alarmed because I wont open it unless requested.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I keep my proof of insurance and registration in a clip above my visor. If I get pulled over, I already have my DL and CCW permit out by the time the LEO gets to my window. If he asks for insurance and registration, its right in plain view above my head.

I rarely have a pistol in my glovebox but if I do, the LEO shouldnt be alarmed because I wont open it unless requested.
    Ditto. My visor has a clear plastic document holder built in, that's where my 2nd insurance card and registration stays. If I do carry a gun in the car, as opposed to on my body, it's in the center console where I wouldn't need to be reaching anyway. DL and CCW are already in hand by the time he walks up. I've only been pulled over once while carrying, but have been through several roadblock checkpoints. None ever expressed any concern about a gun, they just handed the CCW back to me as they examined the license and insurance.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

In Texas as long as you can own a firearm you can have one concealed in the vehicle under the safe motorist act.I do not leave a gun in my car unless I am going into someplace I can't carry and usually reholster as soon as possible
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Speaking of gloveboxes..

I just took my CCW class last week and the instructor told us a story to illustrate how CCW laws differ between states, even those with reciprocity, and why you need to know the law where you plan on carrying.

A North Carolina State Trooper was on vacation and traveling in South Carolina. He was pulled over for speeding by a SC State Trooper and notified the trooper that he was an off-duty NC trooper and had his CHL permit and was armed. The SC trooper said OK, ran his license and came back to the car with the ticket and said, "by the way, sir. Where is your weapon located?" The NC trooper responded: "oh it's in the glovebox." The SC trooper then placed him under arrest.

Apparently in SC if you are carrying then the weapon must be on your person.

I don't know if the story is BS but it got the point across.

The paperwork I received from the local Sheriff's office when I filled out my CHL application states that when approached by any LEO I am to state that I have a CHL, whether or not I am armed and if I am armed - the location of the firearm, in that order. I am not to present anything unless asked to do so. If I am in a car, I am to keep my hands on the steering wheel until directed otherwise.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    The paperwork I received from the local Sheriff's office when I filled out my CHL application states that when approached by any LEO I am to state that I have a CHL, whether or not I am armed and if I am armed - the location of the firearm, in that order. I am not to present anything unless asked to do so. If I am in a car, I am to keep my hands on the steering wheel until directed otherwise.
    100% correct. Got the exact same statement when I took my class.
    Instructor also advised to roll (up or down) the driver side window to half mast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links