Obligations of Carry

This is a discussion on Obligations of Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a good video with some great points made. This guy is a little long winded, but well worth the time to watch. YouTube ...

Thread: Obligations of Carry

Obligations of Carry

This is a good video with some great points made. This guy is a little long winded, but well worth the time to watch.

YouTube - Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    This is a good video with some great points made.
    I agree. Thanks for the vid. I agree with him regarding carry whatever is comfortable or you will probably leave it at home. I recently purchased a PF9 because my Taurus revolver was a little bulkier which prevented carry in some instances.

"If you carry anything less than a .45 automatic, you are a dummy"-- NutnFancy

Then he said some words after that i couldn't make any sense of, oh well.

Seriously though, a lot of good points, carrying anything is better than carrying nothing at all.

Off-topic from the point of the video, on that Ruger, is what looked like the inherent trigger "safety" the same as that on a Glock?
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

VIP Member
    While I agreed with most of what he said, I do not subscribe to his idea that it is my responsibility as a CC to protect everyone around me. My first and only responsibility is to myself and family. If I deem it prudent to come to the aid of someone else I will, but I will not put my life on the line unnecessarily for a stranger.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laeckcrov View Post
    Off-topic from the point of the video, on that Ruger, is what looked like the inherent trigger "safety" the same as that on a Glock?
    I noticed that too...

"archer51 My first and only responsibility is to myself and family. If I deem it prudent to come to the aid of someone else I will, but I will not put my life on the line unnecessarily for a stranger."

I agree with the part of the video about "if you have a permit, then carry SOMETHING". Archer...a question please. I agree with your statement above, but if you are close enough to recognize that a stranger is in IMMINENT DANGER, I would think that YOU and your family if they are with you, is also in IMMINENT DANGER. Seems as though that would necessitate you taking care of your first responsibility of yourself and your family, and in so doing would take care of the stranger. Am I getting too deep here? Just wondering and thinking.
    Last edited by First Sgt; October 16th, 2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: punctuatiion
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Yeah, if there's a couple arguing at a table next to me in a restaurant and he pulls a gun - with only the intent to shoot her - I'm still likely to draw and fire, because I don't know that that is his only target...

But, if he's on the other side of the restaurant and I have a clear path to an exit that I can get my (pregnant! yay!) wife and our 18 month old out of, I'm taking that route.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

VIP Member
    First Sgt, If taking care of my family aids a stranger then I would. For example, in line a a store and someone comes and pulls a gun on the person in front of me, then yes I will do what I need to to protect myself and family, thus aiding the intended victim. Second example, entering a place of business, see someone inside with a gun drawn, I back myself and family out of the door and call 911. I wouldn't put myself and family at risk when there is another alternative.
    When did you retire? I hung up my blues back in 94 after 24 years.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    17 minutes is a long time to be making the same point over and over.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm a concealed carrier not a hero. If a life is on line I will draw and fire. If money and property are at risk they are replaceable.

Archer...gotcha...I agree with your second scenario 100%. Thanks for replying. JammanX..I agree with you that money and property are replaceable..Just goes to show how much responsibility, training, and thought must be given to try and prepare for the worst. That's what makes these forums so great.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    17 minutes is a long time to be making the same point over and over.
    Yeah...he does that.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Links