Concealed Carry in Lousianna.

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry in Lousianna. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I'm heading to Louisianna next week for a short trip and am planning to carry. I have a Texas resident CHL and have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry in Lousianna.

Concealed Carry in Lousianna.

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Louisianna next week for a short trip and am planning to carry. I have a Texas resident CHL and have never travelled before with a pistol, so I was wondering what's the best way to go about knowing the laws for that city without having to read like an entire CHL manual or something.

Can someone provide me with any info that I might need to know? I found this document but it's 56 pages: http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chRuleBook08.pdf

I plan to read it but if I had some advice as to what to pay particular attention to prior to reading, I'd appreciate it very much.

And to those of you who travel frequently, do you have "cheat sheets" of laws for the various states? How do you guys handle that?

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

I can't help with your question but I am wondering the same thing. My job is going to be sending me to a bunch of different cities over the next year or so. Finding state laws are pretty easy (Handgunlaw.us ) but what about local municipal laws?

Thanks,

David

I have to travel there a few times a year to visit my inlaws. I've never known any 'extra' restrictions beyond the state law. But do remember, if you are stopped, you have to advise the LEO that you are carrying concealed. What city in particular are you going to?

VIP Member
    Check out LSP - Welcome, this is the Louisiana State Police website. I just tried the link but it isn't working for some reason right now.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Ok, the above link is working this morning. I went to it and pulled a few things off of it for you:

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    A polling place;
    A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    The state capitol building;
    Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
    A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Duties of Permittees
    The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:
    Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;
    Submit to a pat down;
    Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.
    A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS.

The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be revoked by the deputy secretary when the permittee is carrying and concealing a handgun under any of the following circumstances:
    The blood alcohol reading of the permittee is .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood;
    The permittee's blood test or urine test shows the confirmed presence of a CDS as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964;
    The permittee refuses to submit to a department certified chemical test when requested to do so by a law enforcement officer.
    R.S. 40:1379.3(L) provides that anyone who carries and conceals a handgun in violation of any provision of this Section, unless authorized to do so by another provision of the law, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

R.S. 40:1379.3(C)(1) requires the making of a sworn application to the deputy secretary of public safety services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections. The providing of false or misleading information on the application or any documents submitted with the application shall be grounds for the denial or revocation of a concealed handgun permit. The application shall reflect training in pistols, revolvers, or both. Any permittee under this Section shall notify the department of any address or name change within thirty days of the change. Failure to timely notify the department of a name or address change may result in suspension of the permit for up to thirty days.

R.S. 40:1379.3(R)(1) requires each permittee, within fifteen days of a misdemeanor or a felony arrest, other than a minor traffic violation, in this state or any other state, to notify the deputy secretary of public safety services by certified mail. The deputy secretary may suspend, for up to ninety days, the permit of any permittee who fails to meet the notification requirements of this Section.

R.S. 40:1379.3(F)(1) mandates that the deputy secretary shall revoke the permit if at any time during the permit period the permittee fails to satisfy any one of the qualification requirements provided for in Subsection C of R.S. 40:1379.3.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

just keep in mind to tell a LEO if stopped, they dont have to ask. also, NO bars or places that serve MOSTLY alcohol, i think we have the 51% clause but it doesnt have to be posted. when brought up in my CCW class we were told the only way to know is ask if a business has a class A alcohol permit. supposed to ask homeowners permission. cannot go into posted business' with a no firearms sign. other than that just use your head and you should be fine, i dont know where you are going but i have never had a trouble carrying in my truck but i dont have a CCP yet. watch the small towns though!!!!!!
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    just keep in mind to tell a LEO if stopped, they dont have to ask. also, NO bars or places that serve MOSTLY alcohol, i think we have the 51% clause but it doesnt have to be posted. when brought up in my CCW class we were told the only way to know is ask if a business has a class A alcohol permit. supposed to ask homeowners permission. cannot go into posted business' with a no firearms sign. other than that just use your head and you should be fine, i dont know where you are going but i have never had a trouble carrying in my truck but i dont have a CCP yet. watch the small towns though!!!!!!
    i emailed la state police about concealed carry in restaurants...Sgt starnes who is in the concealed carry division emailed back and told me that you can carry in a restaurant that sales alcohol...just not the bar area...he didn't mention anything about 51% sales etc...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman31774 View Post
    i emailed la state police about concealed carry in restaurants...Sgt starnes who is in the concealed carry division emailed back and told me that you can carry in a restaurant that sales alcohol...just not the bar area...he didn't mention anything about 51% sales etc...
    Don't rely on this 100% but someone told me this rule of thumb, and it might be a decent guideline. "In Louisiana don't CCW inside a business that allows smoking".

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Don't rely on this 100% but someone told me this rule of thumb, and it might be a decent guideline. "In Louisiana don't CCW inside a business that allows smoking".
    well that for the most part would mean a bar which concealed carry would not be allowed....but even in non smoking restaurants you can not conceal carry in the bar area...just in the regular seating areas (even though alcohol may be served in these areas)....that is what was conveyed to me via Sgt Starnes from the La State Police concealed handgun division.

A good rule is, if a minor can enter and be served so can you and your weapon.

Hmm, thanks for the responses guys. While I am very concerned about my safety, all these laws make travelling with a firearm on your person seem very confusing and risky. I'd hate to end up in prison just because I wasn't sure of a law. This is stressing me.

I'm going to New Orleans, an area called the "French Quarters"? Anybody familiar?

send email to la state police and ask questions regarding laws...as far as new orleans goes...they may be able to help you ...la concealed handgun division is in baton rouge...new orleans isn't far...i'm sure they can put you in contact with someone that does know new orleans french quarters etc.... here is the address
    concealed.handguns@dps.state.la.us

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Thanks, PPKHeat, for posting the info. My wife and I love New Orleans, and while we normally go frequently, we haven't been there in the 2.5 years that I have been carrying. Since at least 1 of my permits, maybe more, are honored by LA, I'll want to review these before our next visit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlock View Post
    I'm going to New Orleans, an area called the "French Quarters"? Anybody familiar?
    Yeah, I know the Quarter well. The fringe areas can be seriously BAD, stay with the crowds, walk near others, especially after dark. Actually I've never had a problem (couple little things but nothing really) but we don't wander from the crowds and we are back at our hotel room before midnight.

Don't overlook the food....it'll hurt you too (make you fat )

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Yeah, I'm 'fairly' familiar with the 'quarter' too. Grew up just NE of NO (yeah, I'm a swamp boy) Mardi Grais was my last visit there. Most of the "establishments" serve mostly booze so be careful....and NOPD isn't known as a very 'pro-carry' force. While walking around the Vieux Carre', stay in the streets like the rest of the locals and 'knowledgable' tourists.
    Like ppkheat said, stay with the crowds and pay attention andyour good to go.
    The River Walk, Jackson Square, the Garden District, and the 'Quarter' itself is a great trip with lots to see.........and the FOOD!

Bring your 'big' britches, you will have to utilize the end notches of your belt for the trip home.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links