How many "types" of carry permits does your state use?

This is a discussion on How many "types" of carry permits does your state use? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed that several folks from different states refer to different "types" or "levels" of carry permits (A, B, C, etc), or they refer to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many "types" of carry permits does your state use?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

I've noticed that several folks from different states refer to different "types" or "levels" of carry permits (A, B, C, etc), or they refer to "restrictions" on them. In Mississippi, there is only one type of concealed carry permit. You either have it or you don't. No types, no levels, no restrictions.

What does your state do and what types of limits are placed on the various types of permits?

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    VA has one type.

From what I have heard, the ones with multiple types tend to be blue states where they want whatever excuse they possibly can have to prevent people from "walking around with a loaded gun".

CT just has one, which is equal to most other states "unrestricted" permit.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Missouri has just one type.
    NRA Life Member

WA = 1
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    I've noticed that several folks from different states refer to different "types" or "levels" of carry permits (A, B, C, etc), or they refer to "restrictions" on them. In Mississippi, there is only one type of concealed carry permit. You either have it or you don't. No types, no levels, no restrictions.

What does your state do and what types of limits are placed on the various types of permits?

Gonzo
    Texas has 2 types, I guess. If you take the proficiency test with a semi Auto, you get an SA license but you can carry either revolver or SA pistol. If you take the test with a revolver, all you can carry is a revolver.

Not sure what you mean by "restrictions" but the statutes say where you cannot carry, like Hospitals and voting places and such like that, all were covered in the class, and we have a copy of the statues.

I asked the instructor if there is a limit to how many guns you can carry. He said "Nope"...
    You can never have "too much" ammo...

Just one.

Covers all concealed weapons. Anything short of a flame-thrower and you're pretty much good to go in FL!

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

1 in Idaho

TN = 1

Here in the PRC it appears the issuing agency can put whatever restrictions it wants on the permit. For example, in Stanislaus county you have to list the serial numbers of two and ONLY TWO guns on the back of the permit and those two guns are the ones you are allowed to carry (if you have enough connection to ever get a permit). I've heard that in some counties there are restrictions on WHEN the permit holder can carry. For example, a business person may only be permitted to carry when taking cash to the bank. Yeah, it sucks.

Arizona's one permit covers you for everything. It's a true Concealed Weapons Permit, covering the works.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Here in the PRC it appears the issuing agency can put whatever restrictions it wants on the permit. For example, in Stanislaus county you have to list the serial numbers of two and ONLY TWO guns on the back of the permit and those two guns are the ones you are allowed to carry (if you have enough connection to ever get a permit). I've heard that in some counties there are restrictions on WHEN the permit holder can carry. For example, a business person may only be permitted to carry when taking cash to the bank. Yeah, it sucks.
    Poor banker man. Taking the cash to the bank he/she can protect himself but becomes a mark. I believe I would always have a deposit slip and a twenty spot in the glove box and bank where there is a 24 hr deposit box.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Ut = 1

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Here in NY, it's up to a judge in each county to place restrictions (or not) on your permit. Generally, in the rural areas it's unrestricted, and in the more urban areas the judge may place restrictions such as "premises only", "hunting only", "pistol league only", etc. You would then need to show cause as to why you should get an unrestricted carry permit.

Of course, in the five counties comprising New York City (Queens, Kings, Richmond, Bronx, and New York), it's practically impossible to get any permit at all.
    Last edited by JonInNY; October 18th, 2008 at 07:03 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Here in NY, it's up to a judge in each county to place restrictions (or not) on your permit. Generally, in the rural areas in unrestricted, and in the more urban areas the judge may place restrictions such as "premises only", "hunting only", "pistol league only", etc. You would then need to show cause as to why you should get an unrestricted carry permit.

Of course, in the five counties comprising New York City (Queens, Kings, Richmond, Bronx, and New York), it's practically impossible to get any permit at all.
    Whoah... Premises only... ??? That is so foreign to me. You mean it's illegal to concealed carry in your home without a permit?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links