Going to gun show, do not have CCW yet

This is a discussion on Going to gun show, do not have CCW yet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i would like to bring my firearm with me to hopefully find a holster, if i want to do this how do i legally carry ...

Thread: Going to gun show, do not have CCW yet

i would like to bring my firearm with me to hopefully find a holster, if i want to do this how do i legally carry into the vender area? Ive been to this companies shows before and i know they do a gun check when you go in, so what is my best bet / legal way of doing this....im not really sure what on the transporting laws.

I was assuming leave ammo in the car, firearm in its box and the box in my backpack (just so i dont have to lug the box around during the show)...is this straight?

Sounds like you have it about right. I would put a cable lock through it since that covers your butt legally during transport, and they are going to put a zip-tie on it at the gate anyways. That zip tie or cable lock sure will make trying the gun in different holsters a pain....Good luck and have fun!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

i dont have a cable lock, can i feed a ziptie through? I am going to be riding out there ( motorcycle ) if i get pulled over i dont want any issues.

if i was going to just pick up a few spare mags i dont need to take my firearm right?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    You're going to a gun show right? I would think they would have the same exact model of your gun there and that you would be able to convince the holster seller to allow you to take the holster over to the gun table to try it out.

Otherwise, when you get to the show with your own gun, in a case, empty, no bullets in your possession and with a cable lock, check-in at the main entrance and tell them you have a gun with you so you can buy a holster. Let the gun show security policy dictate your needs.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I'm headed to the Show in Richmond this morning and plan on taking my S&W 457 to try and find a holster for it. They check all guns at the entrance and "Peace Tie" them. I'll lock mine in the truck and walk around for a while. If I see something I want to try, I'll return to my truck, retrieve the pistol, and carry in back in, on my hip to be checked.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmash View Post
    if i was going to just pick up a few spare mags i dont need to take my firearm right?
    Even when just buying magazines, especially when buying magazines, i always take my gun. I prefer to physically test the magazine before buying, and a few gunshops I've been in don't mind if i manually cycling some ammo through. I don't know if i could spot a minor problem like this, but it makes me feel better knowing i did everything i could before making my purchase. This holds especially true for a magazine i haven't used before, or isn't the same manufacturer as my gun.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

I found a nice reasonable leather Holster for my 457 at t6he show yesterday. I checked most all of the 650+ tables, and finally asked the vendor who had the one I liked most if he minded if I brought my pistol back to try it before purchase. He said he preferred that I do that so we could be sure of the fit. I went back out to my car and retrieved my pistol, removed the empty magazine and locked back the slide before putting it into my old ill fitting Uncle Mikes holster. At the entrance, I presented the pistol to the officer on duty and showed him the empty magazine. He examined the pistol, released the slide and used a bright orange cable tie to tie back the trigger and then told me I could put the magazine it it if I wanted. I thanked him and headed back to the vendor where we determined that the original holster I'd looked at had a problem with the front sight hanging up when I tried to draw the pistol. he vendor tried several more before finding one that was a perfect fit. It was a few dollars higher, but the vendor sold it to ma at the same price as the first one.

VIP Member
    celticredneck, did you check out Backwoods Leather? I have several of his holsters and they have all been excellent quality. I bought a new IWB holster and 2 mag pouches from him yesterday for my 1911. Since I was at the gun show I also picked up 2 more 20 rd mags for my Saiga and some more .45 and .40 HST ammo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I looked at his holsters and I liked them, but if I remember, they were a bit more than I had to spent. The one I got was from JPB Gunleather. It is a perfect fit on my S&W 457 and, as a bonus, I tried my Tanfoglio BTA 90 9MM in it and, with the adjustable thumb break, it also fits pretty well. Now I can retire (or go back to using it for my J frame for which it was originally purchased) Uncle Mikes nylon holster. Cost was $35 plus sales tax.

When the gun shows come around here (Fayetteville, NC) The Sheriffs Dept usually has 1-2 Deputies working the door with the zip ties security devices.

No uncheck weapons allowed past the door, I think is the rule of thumb.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Sponsored Links