Self-defense Options in England?

This is a discussion on Self-defense Options in England? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My sister is going to be studying abroad this spring in London, England, and I was wondering what kind of self-defense options she will have. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self-defense Options in England?

My sister is going to be studying abroad this spring in London, England, and I was wondering what kind of self-defense options she will have.

I figured if I would go I'd certainly want a good flashlight, so I'm planning on borrowing (perhaps gifting) her my Surefire L4 for her trip (ordered an E1B today ). If I were to go to London, I'd also want a good defensive folder (and my 642, but we all know that isn't possible). I considered borrowing her my nice Benchmade but I don't know the legality of having a knife there and she doesn't have any training with blades (to be honest, neither do I, on the list of things to do--college really takes a big chunk out of the wallet ), so a knife probably isn't an option. Is pepper spray legal there? I thought I read somewhere that most pepper sprays aren't legal and the ones that are legal aren't effective, is this true?

So, if she isn't carrying a knife and pepper sprays aren't really an option due to lack of effectiveness, should I look into getting her a Surefire E2D Defender or something of the sort?

Just an afternote: I think she should be O.K., she's not dumb enough to end up in the wrong part of town, is ALWAYS with friends (little Ms. Social-Butterfly), and she always has her cell phone, but you never know what'll happen.

Thanks, guys.

2. Remove Ads

I'd get a solid metal pen, steel toe boots and maybe craft a shank...you know the types of stuff that ends up in prisons like England?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Heres the bad thing, She's going to England,the cops decide on a whim what you can and can't have,you have no rights like we have here,in england you are guilty until proven innocent.I spent a total of 5 years in England "USAF"and I wouldn't go back
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Heres the bad thing, She's going to england,the cops decide on a whim what you can and can't have,you have no rights like we have here,in england you are guilty until proven innocent.I spent a total of 5 years in England "USAF"and I wouldn't go back
    I guess it depends on what you mean by rights...in the UK most of your 'rights' are defined by common law rather than backed by codified law IIRC.

Seriously? Prayer, pixie dust, a good mojo bag.

Short of that working, consider: a stout flashlight, a stout pen (and know how to use it effectively), and a cell phone. Anything further, basically, and you will be deemed a criminal via association with those things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    She'll have no real options. Pepper spray and knives of ANY size/type are considered offensive (vice defensive) weapons in nature therefore they're unlawful.

Jolly 'Ol England is a "retreat or else" nation. Fight back and she'll likely get charged.

Man, things are bad there.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Pen knife?? Inconspicuous until she needs it. This is a cheap one but I realy haven't seen any of great quality. But for the price she can have them hidden everywhere.

Pen Knife -Black Self-Defense Products - Self Defense Weapons - Self Defense Spray

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Cell Phone Stun Guns

Try that. No one will know the better.

One of them $175 umbrellas that you can beat the snot out of someone with?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Perhaps a Cold Steel style walking stick. Assuming you've got some control with a stick, it can provide a ready defensive weapon. Stout, too, and darned near unbreakable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good running shoes!
    (And know how to use them!)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Her best defence would be to not go. She would probably be safer in Iraq.
    People there no longer have the right to self defence. There is no longer a safe part of town. If you are a stranger you are open game. Am I trying to scare you? You got that right.

If she insist on going, then she should learn everything she can of their current laws and her rights as a victim. She has a much higher chance of being a victim any where in england then I do in Whitecenter at night here in Seattle. I make it a point to not go to Whitecenter even in the daytime. Enough said. I wish you guys luck.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Remember to tell her to make sure she has her makeup on when she goes outside.
    It's the land of candid camera. You're on everywhere.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    retsupt99.

This is a good idea as it is always raining there. She would fit right in.

She could always get a big Spanner.

I just got back from working a detail there last month. As others have already stated, virtually everything we consider a defensive tool here in the States is considered a weapon there. She should stay in shape, wear shoes she can run in, always have her cell, etc.

A guest at the hotel I was staying at was competing in a skeet tournament. When he dutifully informed the front desk that he had two browning shotguns with him it became a minor emergency as higher ups in management were ushered into a private room for debriefing... ridiculous.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links