Concealing in own house, not a CCW yet

This is a discussion on Concealing in own house, not a CCW yet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend who's selling her house "by owner". She once had a CCW permit here in Indiana, but let it expire. She's in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealing in own house, not a CCW yet

I have a friend who's selling her house "by owner". She once had a CCW permit here in Indiana, but let it expire. She's in the process of filing paperwork for the Indiana lifetime permit.

Someone mentioned to her that she's not allowed to conceal in her own house while showing the house to a stranger. Indiana law clearly says "...a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business..." If it matters, she does a fair amount of work from home as well (IT consulting, cake baking, wedding photography, etc). Not sure if that qualifies as "fixed place of business" as her main job is somewhere else.

Seems to me showing your house to a stranger is an ideal case for being prepared. I've looked through Indiana law pages and can't find a reference to what she was told. I'm waiting on a response from a friend of mine to see if he's heard of such a restriction (detective with the local PD), but wondered if anyone here has heard something similar.

Any ideas?

Seems like it would be perfectly legal to me

Administrator
    Its fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

She's perfectly legal, and I would encourage her to do so in that situation.
    There are a LOT of bad people out there.

Stay armed...in your own home 24/7...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In your own home with multiple strangers in the house? I'd be carrying for sure. Too many weirdos out there and we have all heard of stories of real estate agents as victims, more so for a woman alone! I hope she gets her official answer back soon!

CCW is for away from home, so her not having it reinstated means nothing as far as I can figure!

I don't understand why someone would say something like that. It is her home and place of dwelling until either she sells it or moves out. If she moves out is still her property. Showing it for sale does not negate it being her home as she is not doing it as a business. Even if she does work from home it is still her dwelling and her property.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Ask any Real Estate Broker if they carry.

Of course she should have a gun on her when strangers come in the house.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I don't understand why someone would say something like that. It is her home and place of dwelling until either she sells it or moves out. If she moves out is still her property. Showing it for sale does not negate it being her home as she is not doing it as a business. Even if she does work from home it is still her dwelling and her property.
    It's simple, they have no idea of what the law state.

a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business..."
    You said it yourself, shes in her house, she can carry concealed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Her house--her rules. If she wants to carry...that's her prerogative.

If this "someone" actually knew anything, they would provide the citation of this knowledge. The best way to combat this ignorance education through research.

In my experience, these "someones" who spout off "facts" tend to be anti-gun/anti-carry people, or just flat out ignorant.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just make sure she carries 100% sure concealment.

A prospective buyer/sheep would think she doesn't feel safe even in her own home...
    so why should they want to live there either.

I appreciate all the replies/advice. I'm passing this info to her as I can.

I asked her to see if that person would cite their reference. So far nothing. I suspect it may be related to an anti-gun perspective, but who knows.

It's not a bad neighborhood at all, but she has been through some experiences where it pays to be aware and prepared.

Sometimes well-meaning, pro-gun folks are just ignorant of the law too. Even LEOs. Once several years ago I was shooting with a friend who brought along his LEO buddy. We were discussing CCW and such, and this LEO "corrected" me on some point of concealed carry law (don't remember exactly what now), and was adamant that I was wrong about it. I was quite sure I was correct, as I had studied the statutes carefully before acquiring my CCW, but this being an LEO I had just met, I wasn't going to get into an argument with him over it. Besides, I figured, maybe the law had changed and I wasn't aware. So I shut my mouth, but when I got home I looked up the statute and e-mailed it to my friend to confirm that I was in fact right, and his LEO buddy was flat wrong. And I think most of us have probably all heard similar stories about misinformed LEOs and others who are trying to "help" but really have no clue.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Not that I am recommending it for this situation, but in most states you can also open carry on your own property.

detective with the local PD
    In my experience, LEO's generally enforce what they THINK the law says and very few of them actually KNOWS what the law says, let alone are capable of interpreting it.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    In my experience, LEO's generally enforce what they THINK the law says and very few of them actually KNOWS what the law says, let alone are capable of interpreting it.
    In my experience, some private citizens generally disregard the law and do whatever they think they can get away with and very few of them actually KNOWS, or CARES, what the law says, let alone are capable of interpreting it when they do read it.

That broad brush you painted LEOs with doesn't feel so good when you're the one covered by it, does it? In all honesty, though, your post is flawed and mine is absolutely true - because I included the word "some" in front of "private citizens". Try it sometime rather than bashing a whole group.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links