Defensive Carry banner

Concealing in own house, not a CCW yet

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  starshooter231 
#1 ·
I have a friend who's selling her house "by owner". She once had a CCW permit here in Indiana, but let it expire. She's in the process of filing paperwork for the Indiana lifetime permit.

Someone mentioned to her that she's not allowed to conceal in her own house while showing the house to a stranger. Indiana law clearly says "...a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business..." If it matters, she does a fair amount of work from home as well (IT consulting, cake baking, wedding photography, etc). Not sure if that qualifies as "fixed place of business" as her main job is somewhere else.

Seems to me showing your house to a stranger is an ideal case for being prepared. I've looked through Indiana law pages and can't find a reference to what she was told. I'm waiting on a response from a friend of mine to see if he's heard of such a restriction (detective with the local PD), but wondered if anyone here has heard something similar.

Any ideas?

#4 ·
She's perfectly legal, and I would encourage her to do so in that situation.:yup:
There are a LOT of bad people out there.:ticking:

Stay armed...in your own home 24/7...stay safe!

#5 ·
In your own home with multiple strangers in the house? I'd be carrying for sure. Too many weirdos out there and we have all heard of stories of real estate agents as victims, more so for a woman alone! I hope she gets her official answer back soon!

CCW is for away from home, so her not having it reinstated means nothing as far as I can figure!

#6 ·
I don't understand why someone would say something like that. It is her home and place of dwelling until either she sells it or moves out. If she moves out is still her property. Showing it for sale does not negate it being her home as she is not doing it as a business. Even if she does work from home it is still her dwelling and her property.

#8 ·
I don't understand why someone would say something like that. It is her home and place of dwelling until either she sells it or moves out. If she moves out is still her property. Showing it for sale does not negate it being her home as she is not doing it as a business. Even if she does work from home it is still her dwelling and her property.
It's simple, they have no idea of what the law state.

a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business..."
You said it yourself, shes in her house, she can carry concealed.

#9 ·
Her house--her rules. If she wants to carry...that's her prerogative.

If this "someone" actually knew anything, they would provide the citation of this knowledge. The best way to combat this ignorance education through research.

In my experience, these "someones" who spout off "facts" tend to be anti-gun/anti-carry people, or just flat out ignorant.

#11 ·
I appreciate all the replies/advice. I'm passing this info to her as I can.

I asked her to see if that person would cite their reference. So far nothing. I suspect it may be related to an anti-gun perspective, but who knows.

It's not a bad neighborhood at all, but she has been through some experiences where it pays to be aware and prepared.

#12 ·
Sometimes well-meaning, pro-gun folks are just ignorant of the law too. Even LEOs. Once several years ago I was shooting with a friend who brought along his LEO buddy. We were discussing CCW and such, and this LEO "corrected" me on some point of concealed carry law (don't remember exactly what now), and was adamant that I was wrong about it. I was quite sure I was correct, as I had studied the statutes carefully before acquiring my CCW, but this being an LEO I had just met, I wasn't going to get into an argument with him over it. Besides, I figured, maybe the law had changed and I wasn't aware. So I shut my mouth, but when I got home I looked up the statute and e-mailed it to my friend to confirm that I was in fact right, and his LEO buddy was flat wrong. And I think most of us have probably all heard similar stories about misinformed LEOs and others who are trying to "help" but really have no clue.

#15 ·
In my experience, some private citizens generally disregard the law and do whatever they think they can get away with and very few of them actually KNOWS, or CARES, what the law says, let alone are capable of interpreting it when they do read it.

That broad brush you painted LEOs with doesn't feel so good when you're the one covered by it, does it? In all honesty, though, your post is flawed and mine is absolutely true - because I included the word "some" in front of "private citizens". Try it sometime rather than bashing a whole group.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.